Thread: fresh 3.0L swap - No Start

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

fresh 3.0L swap - No Start

looking for some help on this, you turn key on and everything is normal, but when you go to start it, nothing happens, no clicks, no lights, no nothing.

sounds to me like a safety switch, but on my 91' R/T i can't find the neutral safety switch?? anyone know where it is?

also, the parts guy at the dealership said to check the ignition switch and/or starter itself... Any truth to these claims??

thanks for any help, it ran fine before i put the new motor in

PS. it was a T3 roller that i converted to 3.0L/A543, it ran fine, then motor blew, new motor wont start

Garrett booster

Re: fresh 3.0L swap - No Start

How did you "blow" a 12 valve 6G72? Those things are pretty darn tough. Killing one is like beating a tiger with a fly swatter.

The manual transmission equivalent to a neutral safety switch is attached to the clutch pedal thing under the dash. It would be a "clutch safety switch" for lack of better terms. I doubt that it was touched anywhere in the engine swap process. But make sure you are pressing on the clutch when you try to start it.

The ignition switches are not troublesome in these cars, and since it worked before, I doubt that is an issue.

Open the power distribution center under the hood. When you turn the key to the START position (with the clutch pressed), the starter relay under there should click. If it does, there is probably an issue with the starter's "S" terminal--the small single wire that goes to the starter. If that is fine, did you hook up the grounds to the engine? I can't assume anything.

Your problem is simple--there is just something not hooked up somewhere.

You can confirm the starter is good by: (ignition off, trans in neutral, parking brake set, wheels chocked)
    -Verifying 12v at the big terminal
    -Then putting a screw driver across the terminals.

If that works, you can trace the circuit back.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Bumping this because I have the same problem with my 3.0 swap. However mine is swapped into a '86 Turbo Z, so no factory clutch switch. I built a harness for it using the '93 Shadow ES harness and the Turbo Z firewall plug. Everything works properly except the starter relay. I have verified that the switch is sending 12 volts to the relay trigger, and I have battery current on the feed side. If I jump the terminals starter work fine. So it has to be the relay trigger ground, brown/yellow wire. It has two wires on the ground side, one shows going to Pin 30 on the SBEC, the other I can't seem to find where it goes. I have a '90 wiring diagram book, but haven't been able to find it yet. Maybe '90 didn't have a clutch switch yet? If not though, why would it have a leg going to the SBEC? And I can find a brown/yellow wire in the harness that would have went inside the car on the P-body.

I'm going to make it work for now by adding a ground wire into the relay plug, basically making it just like the older cars w/ no safety switch. But, I would like to figure out how it works in case I want to add a clutch switch later on.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

1993 engine harness? Or complete engine bay harness...then 1986 underdash harness?

I have the 1992 diagram book (which doesn't believe that they had 3.0's in P bodies).
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Ahhhh... Thanks for bumping my old "I'm an idiot thread" from before I knew anything about these cars.

My problem stemmed from using a complete under hood harness from an automatic car with a manual computer and trying to make it work with a manual trans.

It did work eventually after I traced a mile of wiring and grounded the neutral safety switch wire from the auto trans connector. No clutch safety switch on that car, though I could have put one inline with that new ground.

Just some thoughts, it's much easier to make sure you have matched harnesses to start or the wiring diagrams to reference.

Good Luck!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Complete '93 P-body 3.0 manual trans underhood harness, basically only utilized the '86 firewall plug.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD