Thread: rail mouned fuel gauges

rail mouned fuel gauges

dose anyone make a rail mounted fuel gauge that would hook to the valve in the center of the rail, or perhaps with some fittings i could unscrew the black thing on the end of the rail and mount one there? i drilled out the rod in my rail from the fuel line end, the stock fuel line is still intact, and all i have to do is weld a piece of sheetmetal on the end to cover the hole.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Re: rail mouned fuel gauges

FWD sells a fuel pressure test kit that bolts right on the schrader valve for $69.

Never permanently install a gauge on the schrader valve. It will eventually cause the fuel rail to crack, leak, and burn your car down.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous_User View Post
    FWD sells a fuel pressure test kit that bolts right on the schrader valve for $69.

Never permanently install a gauge on the schrader valve. It will eventually cause the fuel rail to crack, leak, and burn your car down.
    Word of advice...

It is rumored that mounting a gauge on the stock fuel rail will cause it to eventually fatigue and crack. You can get a setup from jegs that you splice into your factory rubber line that is much safer....and cheaper I'm pretty sure!

if you put a brass 90 degree fitting on the end with the black thingy was, do you think it would still be prone to cracking?

if it's still on the schrador valve... no good. not sure where you're talking about tho. is "black thingy" the technical term for the part your referring to? :-)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by devlish View Post
    if it's still on the schrador valve... no good. not sure where you're talking about tho. is "black thingy" the technical term for the part your referring to? :-)
    on the driver side of the fuel rail there is some sort of regulator. i believe you can run a fitting off of where it was if you removed it. it shouldn't hurt anything. i just think the weight of the gauge on the shrader valve will cause it to crack.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    on the driver side of the fuel rail there is some sort of regulator. i believe you can run a fitting off of where it was if you removed it. it shouldn't hurt anything. i just think the weight of the gauge on the shrader valve will cause it to crack.
    Not a good idea! That "black thingie" is a damper for fuel pulsation. Removal of this could cause uneven fuel distribution due to uneven pressure...unless the rail is modded and the internal tube is removed.