Thread: rear discs spinles and hubs

rear discs spinles and hubs

are the spindles and hubs the same on the vented and solid rear disc brakes?

turbo addict

Re: rear discs spinles and hubs

Yes they are.. Good question. I found that out when I used the spindle and hubs from my 88 shelby Z on an 89 GTC with the vented discs. Backing plates are different IIRC correctly so you will need those as well as the calipers and rotors..
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict

yeah the spindles are the same for drum brakes also, the hubs are different for the discs though IIRC.
    Last edited by Speedeuphoria; 05-24-2008 at 02:53 PM.

turbo addict

Sweet did not know that about the drums otherwise i wouldn't have robbed parts from my 88 Z.. Doh! Live and and learn.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Sweet did not know that about the drums otherwise i wouldn't have robbed parts from my 88 Z.. Doh! Live and and learn.
    yeah it saved me some hassle when I swaped out the drum trailing arm on my Spirit for the Spirit R/T trailing arm(which had a bad spindle). I went in the back yard and looked at the drum setup I just removed and it was the same so it saved me a trip to the yard. I junked the rest of the old setup but have an extra spindle for the future now also.

turbo addict

The spindles are the same, but the hubs are NOT the same between the '87/'88 solid disc cars and the '89-93 disc cars. I learned that when I swapped to vented discs on my '88 Shelby Z. After '89 the hubs are all the same, only the backplate needs changed.

turbo addict

Oddly enough the hub on my 88 Z worked on an 89 GTC big vented rear disc setup. I know because I had to..I believe to make the 88 style work you have to knock a dust cover off the hub IIRC. I need to get the big 89 style backing plates and hubs and I will pretty much be set as far as putting rear disc on my lancer it sounds like..

turbo addict

Maybe that's what it was, but I know I ended up just swapping them. At 2:30 in the morning being tired as hell, and fairly delerious sometimes it's best just to use what you know works without modification! LOL

turbo addict

I hear that.