Thread: Factory TII Intercooler efficiency

turbo addict

Factory TII Intercooler efficiency

Whats up. I got my Daytona Saturday and ive been playing with boost levels already. The owner before me installed a FMIC and piping, but he used the crappy rubber couplers, and the piping does not fit well. I turned the boost up with my turbonetics boost controller to about 12psi. It would peak 12 at first and drop to about 4-5 there after. It had obvious boost leaks, so I replaced a couple pipes and double clamped a few couplers. Boost leak went away and I had some fun today with holding 12 psi. Now theres a few holes in the rubber couplers.

I will be building all new piping, and installing a different intercooler later on, but in the meantime I will probally be putting the factory intercooler on and T-bolt clamping the pipes.

My questions is, are these factory aftercoolers efficient in the 12psi range? Or should I leave it around the 8lb range for now. I will be installing my IAT gauge, and AEM wideband sometime next, but until then I wanna have some input on what temps, and if detonation would be a concern here.

This is a 89 daytona shelby 2.2

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: Factory TII Intercooler efficiency

There fine at 12 psi,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    There fine at 12 psi,
    Ok cool. I assume your running one. What psi?

most people will say in the 15-18 range they start dropping. one major factor is the placement from the factory as they don't get as much airflow as one up front in the open. I've run quite a few TD's at 10psi all day long with no intercooler without any issues, just keep premium gas in it and make sure the basics are up to par like fuel lines, filter, fpr, and pump.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    most people will say in the 15-18 range they start dropping. one major factor is the placement from the factory as they don't get as much airflow as one up front in the open. I've run quite a few TD's at 10psi all day long with no intercooler without any issues, just keep premium gas in it and make sure the basics are up to par like fuel lines, filter, fpr, and pump.
    Ok cool, Well im going to stick the factory cooler on tomarrow and see if I cant hold 12 pounds for a whole day. Bump down the boost a notch on the controller, since it should get into booster quicker with less piping.

Gonna get a "old school" FP gauge to keep tabs on that.

12 psi with a stock TII intercooler is a great setup you will be fine.

does the car have an air conditioning condensor? if it does, that part blocks a lot of airflow to the stock intercooler. so if a/c isnt a priority, remove the condensor.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    12 psi with a stock TII intercooler is a great setup you will be fine.

does the car have an air conditioning condensor? if it does, that part blocks a lot of airflow to the stock intercooler. so if a/c isnt a priority, remove the condensor.
    No it does not. A/C has been removed.

Thanks.

that'll help. i've run 18 psi on a stock i/c in my 86S, air conditioning also deleted.

i am now at 20 psi w/ a new Super 60 Indy Intercooler (bolt in replacement for stock unit) and i expect even better results.

I ran 18psi all day long on my factory TII IC. No issues and no knocking. Push it!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I run 18 psi on stock turbo and IC for around 5000 miles in total. That's fine provided your tubing and piping (vacuum, oil supply, coolant, ic hoses) are in good shape. This is a must. My example is not a good one though. I bought the car in a crappy shape, an boosted it at this level to see how much punishment it could take.
    My experience is, that Stock IC, Stock Airbox etc are fine up to this level. If my turbo would have been decent, I even feel the turbo would have held up to it. Well it hasen't. So my advice: Get everything in a very decent shape, where oil feed and coolant is concerned. Also get rid of the stock vacuum lines and put in decent vacuum lines. This I personally would do before even thinking of anything else.

Ah, GET A BOV! especially if you are running stock ic hoses!
    I think there are two reasons why I blew my turbo in this time: 1. Having installed my BOV way too late (I only put it on the last 1500 miles) 2. Having had a leaking Oil Feed line, which I ignored too long.
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]