Thread: 1990 Daytona Shelby , Cincinnati OH

Hybrid booster

Unhappy 1990 Daytona Shelby , Cincinnati OH

Who: James Montgomery
    Where: Morrow Ohio 45152 (north or Cincinnati off I-71)
    What: 1990 Daytona Shelby (project car), 2.5 CB turbo, A413 automatic
    How much: ?? Let's start at $800

I have to get rid of a vehicle and this one drew the short straw. I am going back into business for myself and need to make room at the house, plus I need some startup cash to get going again. I am not giving up on TD's, just have to take a short (hopefully) vacation from them.

About the car:

Good stuff-
    It is a project! What it has:
    *used T2 garrett w/ larg can and 2.5" SV (bought from j4278h)
    *new SS lines from TU
    *new oil return hose from TU
    *new 3" DP from TU
    *used borla 3" SS muffler
    *new Mopar head gasket from TU
    *new Mopar valve cover gasket from TU
    *new (NOT installed) 255 walbro fuel pump
    *new fuel filter and rubber fuel lines
    *FFV green top fuel injectors (also have the SS fuel rail but not installed)
    *Ported intake and exhaust manifolds from moparzrule
    *new exhaust studs from FWDP
    *valve cover bolt set from FWDP
    *new Aurora wires from Simon (these thing are sweet!)
    *new stock replacement plugs
    *new alt poly bushings in early style a/c delete bracket & new belts
    *new timing belt
    *Stock intercooler/radiator from a VNT daytona
    *cheap plastic BOV, but may include a DSM BOV w/adapter or stock pipe
    *socketed computer with 91 Hi torq cal w/12psi by Matt Wright
    *new vacuum block and all new vac lines
    *cheap cone air filter hooked to a neon air intake pipe (see picts)
    *new PS pump put on in October, but havent driven it much all winter

bad stuff-
    *interior is about a 4 out of 10
    *tac and speedo work when they feel like it
    *like all TM's the paint is gone!
    *dents and dings but nothing major
    *quite a bit of Ohio rust under it. Good size hole in drivers floor. One reason I'm not too shook up by selling it. Will include some steel for patches.
    *I acidently knocked one of the rear spoiler pieces off half way.
    *car looses oil pressure once hot. Kinda makes me pissed of since it didn't do that before I droped a grand on parts for it this winter.

Car starts and runs fine. PS lines are leaking so the ps pump is not currently hooked up but it is new. Set to minimum boost currently. When the car warrms up the stock oil pressure gage shows low to no oil pressure. Haven't checked it with a manual gage yet but I suspect the worse. Currently the exhaust is just rigged up. Have a new 3" dp on it and a 3" borla just hooked to the end of it and wired up to stay on. Sounds good but LOUD. You could drive it a short distance, but I recomend towing it. Has all the Shelby stuff, CS center caps on 16" pumpers, big brakes, and all the ground effects. The front air dam is pretty cracked up and might not be useable. I will post some more picts tomorrow but here is what I have for right now--> http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...y2003/daytona/ .

Bottom line is I could part it out for more than $800. And I will if I have to, but would like to pass it on if someone is interested in fixing it. Won't hurt my feelings if you want to part it out either! I know not too many people want a rusty Daytona but thought I would put it out there before I part it. Please don't ask me to part it yet. IF I do there will be a thread for that, keep this one on track for selling it whole. PM me if interested.

boostaholic

Re: 1990 Daytona Shelby , Cincinnati OH

Hey! Nice car! Could use some interior shots...if you have any? And also, abou that low oil pressure, try getting a oil cap breather from like autozone, mine did the same thing after my engine rebuild, and everyone said it was something internally with the engine...nope..it wasn't, i took out the stock air box and got rid of the breather thats built in, i put that breather in place of the stock cap and it took care of the problem, i have an awesome 10psi per 1000 rpm , its very nice to see that again!!!! Also, i started putting lucas oil stablizer in, which also helped!

I could be interested in the car...i am looking for an interior, so let me know.

Tom

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the advice! The interior is nothing to write home about. Dash has a small crack in it, seats are worn, carpet needs replaced, and the drivers door panel needs replaced where the handle riped out. I did fix the drivers power window last year! Works great now. I'll get some more picts tonight, just wanted to get this up on the forum today before I changed my mind.

Hybrid booster

Here are some more shots that I took yesterday--. http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...2003/daytona2/ . It was raining, so I added two outside picts of the car from last year (the ones with the center caps off). If anyone needs more picts let me know! When it stops raining I'll put it up on the ramps and take some underneath shots. I also picked up a oil pressure gage last night so I can verify if I'm really loosing pressure or not.

Hybrid booster

Anyone? Should I just say f-it and ebay the thing? End of the work day bump......

boostaholic

Is this marks old car? Free bump

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Shepard View Post
    Is this marks old car? Free bump
    Yep. Checked it with a Gage last night, 0 at idle when it warmed up. Drove it down my street and got about 20 at 3k rpm. So 3 guess its done. Why would it do this now when it always ran great before! All unreasonable offers considered!

Garrett booster

James, try dropping the pan and throwing in a set of rod bearings, and #2, #3, #4, mains.

Might just get lucky. Helped me get some miles out of the shadow after it started knocking.

If I had a way to get it hear, I would jump on it, Throw a good used oil pump, and a set of rod and mains and hope for the best.

Sounds like you were well on your way to cleaning it up.

PM sent.

Bump for a GREAT seller.

boostaholic

Before you do that, i forgot to tell you...because i had the same EXSACT problem, when the car is doing this while running while warm, pop the hood and pull out the dipstick, then check your gauge with your dipstick pulled out ...if it doesn't show 10psi or little less after you do this, then yea..you have a internal problem...if it goes up, then do what i suggested...i did that about 2 years ago and my shelby is still running like a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Free bump for you James. I just ported those manifolds for you a couple months ago! That sucks man! Your paint is better than my shadow's!!!
    The intake and exhaust manifolds alone are worth $250 of his asking price. IMO $800 is a steal for that car.

Hybrid booster

Thanks! I'm just days from parting it. If I do those manifolds will be saved for the omni I just bought.

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmonty View Post
    Thanks! I'm just days from parting it. If I do those manifolds will be saved for the omni I just bought.
    Wanna sell/trade the socketed SMEC and Chip? I have a stock SMEC to swap with $$$.

Marion

Hybrid booster

You have a pm.

James

Was it you I was talking to about buying the plastic rear window louvers? I take it you won't be needing them anymore, as I've been searching for a box big enough for them... Please PM me and LMK.

Hybrid booster

That was 89pbody that had the louvers.

Parting out now. Intercooler, computer, body control module are all gone. Going to pull the motor and tranny to keep. So really all that's left is body and intetior stuff. It will go to jy in less than two weeks. Will sell rim if you have something for me to use to roll the car with. Might just put them on my van.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    James

Was it you I was talking to about buying the plastic rear window louvers? I take it you won't be needing them anymore, as I've been searching for a box big enough for them... Please PM me and LMK.

How much for the wheels and how good are the tires? I have some egg shells you could throw on, the tires are garbage but they hold air and roll.
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

Hybrid booster

Tires are good. Ill take some picts this week.