Thread: Wastegate/swingvalve not opening?

Exclamation Wastegate/swingvalve not opening?

Brand new motor and TO4E turbo with TU 3in SV. I have the wastegate can hooked up to a manifold vacuum source. So as I understand I should be limited to around 6-8 psi. It goes all the way to 14.7psi and the auto shutdown kicks in. I stuck my hand down there to try and pull on the wastegate actuator arm to see if I can move the SV lever but I cant. not sure whats going on. Please help

Thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Wastegate/swingvalve not opening?

If you can move the actuator arm by hand, call The Incredible Hulk for his job,

Seriously, maybe the can is no good, apply vacuum to it and see if it holds. You could have too much preload. You will need a wrench or pliers to move the arm.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I can move the actuator arm on the top end of my old motor but that was also while the head is sitting on the floor...

I'm going to get my air compressor and shoot a little air in the wastegate can. see if the SV opens.

interesting........a buddy of mine, whom also just installed a brand new TU 3" unit, is having the exact opposite problem, he cannot make any boost at all and it looks like the puck may either be stuck open or might have become totally disconnected.

i wonder if these two cases might be related to a manufacturing discrepancy with the s.v.....i've had nothing but fantastic results with the unit i purchased from TU.

boostaholic

Remove the arm from the swing valve and see if it is frozen in the housing,some times they will rust up and not move.Then if it still doesnt work check the vac lines and the can its self.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    interesting........a buddy of mine, whom also just installed a brand new TU 3" unit, is having the exact opposite problem, he cannot make any boost at all and it looks like the puck may either be stuck open or might have become totally disconnected.

i wonder if these two cases might be related to a manufacturing discrepancy with the s.v.....i've had nothing but fantastic results with the unit i purchased from TU.
    If the wastegate puck is opened beyond the normal operating position it could get hung up on the back wall of the swingvalve. Have him verify that there is movement of the actuator and if he is still having difficulty have him contact us for other ideas.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Quote Originally Posted by JuXsA View Post
    I can move the actuator arm on the top end of my old motor but that was also while the head is sitting on the floor...

I'm going to get my air compressor and shoot a little air in the wastegate can. see if the SV opens.
    Try the tests I recommended on the phone to you and get back to us so we can assisit in determining what the cause is.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Im gonna tinker around with it on wed or thursday. I will post results and give ya a call if I am having any other issues...

thanks again

just an update. it looks like the WG can wasn't lined up right so the actuator arm was stuck on the zbracket. Im going to modify the z bracket some and hopefully have it working right by tomorrow night.

Had to cut the crap out of the bracket to make it work, and its only being held on by one bolt but its working. Its only seeing manifold pressure right now, but I will likely hook up my g-valve in the next day or so after I get the exhaust installed. I was thinking about running 10 psi untill I get the IC installed, should be lots of fun