Thread: Trouble after conversion...

boostaholic

Trouble after conversion...

I converted my 91 Daytona (previously 2.5 T1/auto) to 2.2/5 spd. I'm using a VNT computer and simply using one of the solenoids for the wastegate and added the charge air temp sensor. The car starts just fine, boosts too. But the CEL is on constant and feels like it's in limp mode. Very lethargic through out all RPM's. Checked and double checked timing of everything. I check codes and get 12, I kid you not 64, and 55. Now, before you post that there is no code 64, there MUST be. The SBEC is throwing it, it must mean something. I know how to count the flashing light So, guru's of TD's what do you think?

Re: Trouble after conversion...

Did you add the second solenoid (doesn't need to do anything) or a resistor for the secondary VNT wastegate control?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yep, VNT solenoid. I don't remember specifics, but that code is only on VNT cars(and Mexi 2.5 T2s, yeah, I have no idea either).

Before I owned my VNT, my friend got a ReMan VNT computer from Chrysler, because when he bought the car, it had a 2.5 computer in it(it controlled the boost just fine, LOL), but the reman computer threw that code, so he returned it and threw the 2.5 computer back in.

When I got the car, I scanned it and the 2.5 SBEC was doing an awesome job at pulling roughly 22% fuel and the car ran great(it doesn't pull the fuel at WOT though). Eventually, my friend Chris had a socketed SBEC he sold me, with an original VNT program in it.

I guess the point of that little story is this: If you can't make the code go away by doing Russ suggests, run the 2.5 computer until you can find a suitable replacement.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    Did you add the second solenoid (doesn't need to do anything) or a resistor for the secondary VNT wastegate control?
    Hmm..I seemed to have over looked this. I had no idea. Can you be more specific as to what I need to do, what value resistor, pin(s) etc.? My research never led me to this.

Thanks to both of you!

It's pin 56 on the SBEC connector. You'll likely need to add the pin/wire to it from a donor harness. A 50 ohm power resistor emulates a solenoid closely, but in practice anything less than 1k-ohm will work.

boostaholic

Freakin' sweet. I happen to have a donor harness, and work has about 30000 each of resistors in that range. Thanks!