Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOTH fuel strap bolts broken...now what

turbo addict

BOTH fuel strap bolts broken...now what

ok well i went to install my walbro tonight and both bolts broke where the strap connects to the body off any thoughts for fixing this i need the car asap, but i guess i can drive the honda but id like it to be driving by tonight. thoughts???

Re: BOTH fuel strap bolts broken...now what

i found holes closest to the ones the bolts were in and use the clips that accept thread screws and put 2 of those in

turbo addict

thanks for the input that was what i was thinking i would have to do, with the new fp do i have to install the new pump to filter device or can i use the old one?

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

pull out your rear seat, find the bolt heads in the floor, then drill them out and use a regular bolt/nut in its place. For a better fix, weld the bolt into the car.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

+1 ^^^ That's what I did on the wife's old Acclaim. IIRC, the studs are mounted to a plate that is spot welded to the floor. I think I drilled the welds, removed the plate, pushed the studs out in a vice, and welded new bolts to the plate.

turbo addict

i would do that but i cant, the bolts are hidden underneath the floor, i removed the black panell that covers the fuel pump wiring no bolts, so im assuming im going to have to make a hole to get to the bolts and go from there.

also while looking, the bolts are in sideways(crooked)

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

That must be like my '90 P-body. That area of the floor is bent at an angle, will make drilling and welding new bolts in a bit tricky. I have to do this. What i worry about the most is the brace for the axle...that snapped off last fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

the fuel pump 'retainer' the part that holds the fuel pump into the piece that hooks it to the filter, if anyone knows what im talking about, it wouldnt fit around the walbro plug and fuel line, so do i not install it or mod it to fit, it fit really really snug into the rubber/plastic type retainer it sets in so i was unsure, the car is outside with the tank down i have to wait till tomorrow to finish it, neighbors wouldnt like the all the noise so i had to shut it down

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

My SL is like that. I snapped one of the studs and couldn't find it after pulling the rear seat, carpet, and a steel panel screwed to the floor covering the fuel pump wiring pass-thru grommet thingy. I bought two new studs at the dealership and they have a plate with a stud sticking out one end. Looks like the floor will have to be cut away to even get to them. I drilled a hole through and have been using a long bolt and nut in lieu of the stud. Works great but I need a helper to remove the bolt with a back-up wrench to remove the tank now.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    i would do that but i cant, the bolts are hidden underneath the floor, i removed the black panell that covers the fuel pump wiring no bolts, so im assuming im going to have to make a hole to get to the bolts and go from there.

also while looking, the bolts are in sideways(crooked)

cut the floor pan, I had to do this when I snapped out the bolts on my 93 plymouth duster. its really easy to see where to cut, and I just made 3 splices, and folded the metal up, and back down to access the metal plates w/broken screw.

also you wont need 2 people to install the tank again, like mentioned in previous post....the cut pan will allow the tool to hold in place while u tighten it from beneath! I went with Allen head SHCS, and its also a good precaution to install lock washers.

boostaholic

Just a word of advice to everyone doing this for the first time, (As i've experianced this Many times!!) Is before you even start, spray a ---- load of liquid wrench on the bolts the night before, then the next day get a Die for that size of thread..metric i beleive, and run it up the whole thread until it bottoms out of the nut, Then wrench the nut of very slowly, going back and forth, loosen a little, then tighted back up, loosing a little then back out, ect.... This way has not failed yet, i havn't broke a stud since..and ofcoarse after you get the nut past that 1/4 inch, it will come off real easy!! Then also run the die up the stud the rest of the way, then coat with anti seize. Good luck!

^^^ That works for me too. After running up the die, flip it over and run it up again backwards. The nut will come loose even more quickly.

Slather the stud in axle grease or antiseize when you are done. I also coat the pump retainer ring.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I actually had to do the pump on my CSX this weekend too as my fuel pump *was* dying after all. My afr's would start to climb very slowly around 4k rpm @ 20 psi boost with old pump.

I did exactly what 89shelbyguy said only without the die. It took a long time but my studs were in one piece when I was done. After spraying with pb/wd40 I normally will crack the nut loose by 2 turns then run it back up tight and immediately tag it with pb/wd40 again. After that, I loosen it with my hand on only the head of the ratchet and run it back up once I can't turn with my hand only on the head of the ratchet. I normally continue to tag it with pb every 2 or 3 cycles.

If you don't break the stud cracking it loose, you can normally save it by working, but it takes a long time and it's really easy to lose your patience. Obviously a die works much better if you have one and are careful with it (I've really botched things up with a tap/die set a couple times, lol).

Ummmm... Why take the strap bolts loose???

Take your time and you can swap pumps with the tank in place.

I've done L/P/H/J bods like this....

It's a PITA but can be done.

Really.

Yeah and you can swap turbos without removing the head on a stock manifold. But why?

boostaholic

Yea right!, its bad enuff you have to get under there with all the nice rust falling on you...now if i had a lift, it would be a different story! Its almost time for my fuel pump to get replaced with the hp walbro....i am not looking foward to that...lol

The job isn't really that bad. The studs and the retainer ring are the biggest challenges if there is a lot of rust. Once the ring is loose, have a vacuum at the ready to suck up the rust so it doesn't get in the tank. Also take your time and make sure the pump is fully seated in the pickup and that the pickup is resting on the floor of the tank. A little petroleum jelly works good on the pickup o-ring and the fuel filler neck grommet.

We had the tank out of my Sundance 4 or 5 times over a leak
    I couldn't find (Thought it was the pump o-ring, but it turned out to be a screwdriver hole where someone had missed the lock ring). It gets alot easier after the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    But why?
    ( So ya don't break the strap studs..... )

turbo addict

Yeah and you can swap turbos without removing the head on a stock manifold. But why?
    been there done that, did a headgasket, then 2 weeks later replaced turbo no way i was pulling the head off with all the new stuff on there. its a a pain but can be done

The job isn't really that bad. The studs and the retainer ring are the biggest challenges if there is a lot of rust.
    yep, also i got worried around the the retainer ring trying to get it to turn w/o using a screw driver to pry it i had no brass punch, so i had to use a pieice of wood, i think i ruined the ends of about 3-4 blocks of wood before it finally worked. other then that it wasnt too bad. o and cutting the main fuel line and having fuel run everywhere thinking right before, awh how much fuel can be in this line (cut) awh come on that stuffs 4 dollars a gallon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast