Thread: Engine block heater on TIII

Engine block heater on TIII

Hey all since the head is off I have easy access to the freeze/core plugs so does any one know where the core plug style engine block heater goes?????(I have heard middle core plug on the fire wall side of the engine?) I am using Mopar part # 4798276AC which is a universal block heater for 4, 6 & 8 cylinder engines.
    Thanks, Seth

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Re: Engine block heater on TIII

middle core

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yep, and if you don't need one, I leave them out, its just another point of failure when you least expect it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yep, and if you don't need one, I leave them out, its just another point of failure when you least expect it.
    Thanks for the reply guys. I don't really need it! But I would help with the warm up in the winter! I'll have to think about it some more!

What do you think about replacing freeze/core plugs that are not leaking? I have a new set that I was going to install???

Thanks, Seth

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by navyboy65 View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys. I don't really need it! But I would help with the warm up in the winter! I'll have to think about it some more!

What do you think about replacing freeze/core plugs that are not leaking? I have a new set that I was going to install???

Thanks, Seth
    Replace them, it would suck to have one go out and replace it, then another goes out 2 weeks later and so on......

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboJerry View Post
    Replace them, it would suck to have one go out and replace it, then another goes out 2 weeks later and so on......
    Yep, as most look great from the outside but when you remove them, the coolant side is rotted and pitted and ready to leak at the worst time.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

OK I'll plan on replacing them this weekend!!! Any tips for removing or installing?????
    Thanks, Seth

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Sure just hit them with a brass or similar drift all the way twards one edge and the plug will 'turn' in the block. Careful, dont knock it all the way in or it can be a biatch to get it back out. Then pull on the free edge with some pliers or whatever. Clean the block where the plug goes with some fairly fine paper like 360 or so. The use some sealant of choice (I like Permatex 1b Non-hardening sealer, RTV is too 'slick' IMO BTW) around the edge of the plug and block, then tap it in with a large socket that will just barely fit in the new plug. Careful, drive it in nice and strait Oh yeah, nobody ever does but I like to put the letters on the new plug 'up' so they are readable, not that it matters...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL