Thread: Cleaning Up Suspension Bits

Cleaning Up Suspension Bits

I'm getting ready to put the suspension on the GTC. Before I put it on I want to clean up the knuckles, control arms, sway bar, rear axle, and trailing arms. I was thinking painting them black but I need some insight.

1. What's the easiest and best way to get the rust off? I'm looking for something I can go at home so sand blasting is out.

2. What should I use to cover them up keep them from rusting. I was thinking paint but I know I need to do more than just paint them right? I'd also like to do this at home and would rather not powdercoat them.

Re: Cleaning Up Suspension Bits

Sandblasting is really the way to go, but I hear POR 15 works pretty good to just cover the rust up. Oven cleaner or simple green works pretty good to clean the grease off. I brought the bare trailing axle, and the bare K frame to a local body shop and had them sandblast and paint them black. I had the grooves that the brake pads had worn in the front and rear knuckles welded up then I had them powder coated to hopefully help with the groves that the brake pads cause.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Hybrid booster

sandblast, coat with zinc primer and then topcoat with quality paint....no other way to go for a long-lasting quality job!

So, I'm guessing I should just take them to a good auto paint shop?

It only cost me $100 for the sandblasting and paint. Well worth it IMO.

Well, that's not bad at all. So, before I take it in I'll have to take off the rear hub and bearing right? If so I guess I mind as well get new ones.

The whole stub axle unbolts from the trailing axle. I would take some pictures of the complete assembly so you can remember how to put it back together with all the lines and clips and everything else. I burned the bushings out before I brought it in to make installing the poly ones easier.

for a correct factory appearance, use Eastwood's Zinc Phospate rattle can spray, it will give you that OEM look and stop future rust. black is incorrect for most all of the undercarriage parts on these cars. some parts are natural steel, you'd want to identify those and use one of Eastwoods Clear Satin Steel spray's.

to prep right you really should blast with silicon carbide grit. i did this last year to my front suspension parts, next up is the nasty rear axle.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

I have a cheap sandblaster without a cabinet and I just blast the parts in my backyard. You do need an air compressor and you want to wear gloves, sleeves, a hood, and a full face shield.

After I blast, I give everything a good soap and water clean, then coat with rust converter. Prime and paint.

Well, I'm not really going for a factory appearance. I just thought the black would look nice. This car isn't so much a restoration as it would be a resto mod. AS for a media blaster I might consider buying one if I were going to use it more and I would want one that uses baking soda as the media. Sand is just too much of a PITA. Plus I would want a better air compressor. The one I have is a cheapo unit that is barely good enough to run an impact wrench.

Someone is trying to talk me into powder coating the parts instead.

POR 15 works pretty good, Sandblasting is best to get things clean but if you use a good degreaser and then wipe them down good with some wax and grease remover they'll be good to brush on the paint. I used POR 15 on my k-frame, and front and rear suspension parts. A little goes a long way, I bought a pint and didn't even come close to using it all.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

or go the semi-expensive route and just have them powdercoated. looks nice, I can vouch!