Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: horsepower A-555 can handle??

Hybrid booster

horsepower A-555 can handle??

Question is in the subject. I bought this Daytona with a one year old Cliff rebuilt A-555 with nothing special done to it but a standard rebuild. How much power have you guy's pushed them before something breaks or the 3rd gear issue occurs????
    I have run A-413 for 8 years, so I have little knowledge what the stick trans can handle.

Re: horsepower A-555 can handle??

They are pretty tough. The weak point of the A555 is the bearing retainer plate. Put a chrome moly one in there and it should handle anything you can throw at it. There is the issue with the main bearing, but that is more a wear item than a strength thing.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Reeves throws over 400 to the wheels with one...
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    They are pretty tough. The weak point of the A555 is the bearing retainer plate. Put a chrome moly one in there and it should handle anything you can throw at it. There is the issue with the main bearing, but that is more a wear item than a strength thing.
    Thanks Russ,
    I probably will not be installing the chrome molly plate at this point due to cost. What is the main issue or cause of the retainer plate to fail? My aim for this street car is between 260-280 HP to the wheels.
    I wasn't going to touch this car, but I got spoiled from the 350 HP from my CSX.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    Thanks Ken,
    No Chrome Molly plate in his??

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
    Thanks Russ,
    I probably will not be installing the chrome molly plate at this point due to cost.
    Due to cost? The plate itself is $95 shipped, then you have to take the transmission out, buy RTV, and buy oil...

$110 and one afternoon later and you're done.

Thanks Russ,
    I probably will not be installing the chrome molly plate at this point due to cost. What is the main issue or cause of the retainer plate to fail? My aim for this street car is between 260-280 HP to the wheels.
    I wasn't going to touch this car, but I got spoiled from the 350 HP from my CSX.
    The plate doesn't fail, but the stock plate is mild steel and is fastened to the bearing plate too far from the input shaft bearing. Thrust generated from the helical gears plus the side loading from the gearset pushes on the bearing race causing the plate to flex. The input shaft bearings are conical and so the input shaft become misaligned which stresses the gear teeth. The result is usually a failure of 2nd or 3rd gear, though this is much more common in the A520 whose gears have finer teeth and are not as strong.

The A523/568 don't have this problem because the retainer is smaller and is fastened close to the bearing race, avoiding the flexing issue.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Thanks Ken,
    No Chrome Molly plate in his??

Its plated
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...e&articleid=16

good step by step on the bearing plate install
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Due to cost? The plate itself is $95 shipped, then you have to take the transmission out, buy RTV, and buy oil...

you dont have to take the trans out to put the plate in.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

For an original trans, I would agree. But for a rebuild...if Cliff reset the input shaft bearing preloads using the old plate, then the new plate may add too much preload. The input shaft outer bearing race tends to wear into the old plate and creates a recess. The new plate will be perfectly flat.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post

Wow.... where do you get the plate for $95?? I could swear I remember Gary selling them for around $360!!! I guess I haven't looked lately.

Hybrid booster

The plate doesn't fail, but the stock plate is mild steel and is fastened to the bearing plate too far from the input shaft bearing. Thrust generated from the helical gears plus the side loading from the gearset pushes on the bearing race causing the plate to flex. The input shaft bearings are conical and so the input shaft become misaligned which stresses the gear teeth. The result is usually a failure of 2nd or 3rd gear, though this is much more common in the A520 whose gears have finer teeth and are not as strong.

The A523/568 don't have this problem because the retainer is smaller and is fastened close to the bearing race, avoiding the flexing issue.
    OK. Thank you very much Russ for the great explaination....

Woha! No, I don't remember ever seeing them higher than $120 or so. Someone did a group buy back on TD and had a bunch made at once. Those were sub-$100 IIRC. I got mine from Cindy.

BTW, the plate did not save my A520, but that was the original trans from the CSX and so it had a lot of abuse on it before I put the plate in. It's in the A555/520 hybrid now....

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Omni-Potent sells them for $95, that's who I got mine from. High quality!
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Hybrid booster

Woha! No, I don't remember ever seeing them higher than $120 or so. Someone did a group buy back on TD and had a bunch made at once. Those were sub-$100 IIRC. I got mine from Cindy.

BTW, the plate did not save my A520, but that was the original trans from the CSX and so it had a lot of abuse on it before I put the plate in. It's in the A555/520 hybrid now....
    It had to be more than 6 years ago when I saw it on Relentless Performance, maybe I'm just going crazy...some brain cells get worse with age I guess.

I see Cindy has them for $129.

Thanks a ton guys, it looks like it wouldn't be that difficult to install it while still in the car.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    Omni-Potent sells them for $95, that's who I got mine from. High quality!

Thanks,
    I'll try to contact him.

http://www.omnipotentparts.com/produ...ission%20Plate

I didnt have to remove my trans either
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    http://www.omnipotentparts.com/produ...ission%20Plate

I didnt have to remove my trans either
    Thanks Murphy!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    And others have thrown 400whp at them in heavier cars too

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast