Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spirit R/T e85

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Spirit R/T e85

Quote Originally Posted by Spraynlog View Post
    Matt, thanks for the E-85 station list! I was only aware of the one on 162nd and Glisan. I'm pretty sure I have seen the VR4 Galant out at PIR....very impressive. I have seen Lucas English at the drags, great guy.
    I'll see if I can come out this Saturday, assuming it isn't rained out.

Yeah, if it's not rained out, I'll be there taking pictures. Not sure yet if I'm gonna run the Mirage or not though, still deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    the advantage of E85 is the higher octane. so you have more knock resistance, which allows you to run a bit more boost, and some more timing.

Otherwise, you have to use more of it because it doesnt have as much energy as gasoline.
    True!

But even after having to use more of it, it's cheaper than race gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty_Duster View Post
    I saw a DSM at a local performance shop who was set up to run E85. He had like 500 all-wheel horsepower.

You don't need to change your fuel system at all? I thought you needed stainless steel injectors and a plastic gas tank.
    No changes necessary, other than providing more fuel to the engine via larger injectors/fuel pump/calibration.

turbo addict

Yeah either get an extra pump inline or larger injectors and bring the pressure down to 40 or so psi. i think you would have gains also with a little more aggressive cal as the E85 likes timing.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

You guys are confusing Methanol and e85.

Just because manufacturers treat e85 like methanol, doesnt mean it is necessary.

Methanol is nasty stuff that needs to be drained and flushed from your car after EVERY time you race.

E85 is just "pumpgas" And is has about the same hp potencial as VP C-16. At a fraction of the price. Just requires expensive fuel mods to be able to flow enough fuel. Ethanol doesnt eat up parts like methanol does, and the 15% gasoline helps lubricate fuel system parts.

Friend here runs E85 in his supra with some crazy Weldon 1000 fuel pump. Still not enough fuel pump to make 1000hp though.

boostaholic

ok so heres the next question. +40's and 255. now do i need a custom cal or a afrp and a wideband do the trick. how much timing can i run in my r/t? the car is all stock

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    ok so heres the next question. +40's and 255. now do i need a custom cal or a afrp and a wideband do the trick. how much timing can i run in my r/t? the car is all stock
    I am using an off the shelf FWDP stg 3 cal, using afpr to up the fuel flow via base pressure.

Unfortunately I have no way to adjust my timing though, so it is not that agressive, with the cal.

Greg

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I think you should follow speedeuphoria's advice. Go with much larger injectors so the pump can still provide adequate fuel and maybe still get the inline pump. Either one would be sufficient. I think I am more of a fan of lower base pressure + larger injectors since your current base pressure is incredibly high.

Its probably cheaper to just get the inline pump, but I would go injectors if you can afford them.

Hybrid booster

Yes, i agree, larger injectors may be a future item.

I drive the R/T daily, except winter, and the drivability is faily good as it is now.

Greg

turbo addict

yeah since the cal will drive +40's good on gas then using E85 equivalent injectors would keep the same drive ability. Just cold starts in cold weather, which you would already be experiencing is the only issue(but they change the fuel mix in the winter AFAIK to help this).

Did you change your fuel filter since the change? B/C it would be a good idea to do so from what I hear. Or even change it again if you did after a couple thousand miles.

Hybrid booster

Still hard to start when it gets cold, usually four on/off tries with the key, but it always starts.
    The winter blend (e70-e75?) doesn't seem to make a difference in my application.

Plan on changing it soon, as the say it cleans out the gunk/varnish build up from you fuel system.

Greg

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by unluckyty View Post
    Still hard to start when it gets cold, usually four on/off tries with the key, but it always starts.
    The winter blend (e70-e75?) doesn't seem to make a difference in my application.

Plan on changing it soon, as the say it cleans out the gunk/varnish build up from you fuel system.

Greg
    I would say if you start running more timing, the winter blend may adversely affect things.

turbo addict

Oh I forgot to ask are you using stock T stat and stock heat range plugs? If your using colder, try switching back to the stock stuff.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by nBALLS View Post
    I would say if you start running more timing, the winter blend may adversely affect things.
    I agree that could be a problem, that some using e85 have mentioned.

Greg

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    Oh I forgot to ask are you using stock T stat and stock heat range plugs? If your using colder, try switching back to the stock stuff.
    Both stock, and the car does run cooler with e85.

Greg
    Last edited by unluckyty; 05-02-2008 at 11:33 AM.

boostaholic

do you think we should make this a sticky? i think there would be a bunch of people that would like to do this.

turbo addict

I started this thread awhile ago to collect info on setups, was hoping that at some point if /when it took off it could be organized and archived in the KC
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16948

Anybody know what octane E85 would be?
    So if +40's only really support ~350 WHP safely, what will +40's support on E85? Only 300 WHP?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Anybody know what octane E85 would be?
    So if +40's only really support ~350 WHP safely, what will +40's support on E85? Only 300 WHP?
    Stated to be 105 octane. I haven't had the car to a dyno.
    But how much whp is needed for, almost 112 mph in a 3,000+ car? At least 275- 300 whp?

Greg

Yup, my 300 WHP daytona trapped 111 mph with ~3100 lb race weight.

turbo addict

you also have to figure in the fuel pressure difference, since he's running 70psi base

well if you know your BSFC then x 1.3 is an approximate BSFC for E85, some would say 25% more fuel while others would say 35% more fuel

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/e85...e85-combo.html

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

So if I'm planning to run e85 in my Spirit R/T, would I be better off getting the 72 lb/hr injectors? Or would +40s be more reasonable since I still have the stock turbo? The car already has a Walbro 255 ltr/hr pump, but I would rather not run the fuel pressure so high. I would like to keep using the stock calibration which is pretty 'hot' as far as timing is concerned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast