Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spirit R/T e85

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Spirit R/T e85

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    So if I'm planning to run e85 in my Spirit R/T, would I be better off getting the 72 lb/hr injectors? Or would +40s be more reasonable since I still have the stock turbo? The car already has a Walbro 255 ltr/hr pump, but I would rather not run the fuel pressure so high. I would like to keep using the stock calibration which is pretty 'hot' as far as timing is concerned.
    Depends on what your goals are for the car, I'd say go with 72s for future plans of bigger turbo/more boost, and to keep the fuel pressure closer to stock levels.

The stock cal is pretty hot compared to an 8V, because 16Vs like lots of timing, but on E85 you can safely run even more timing than the stock cal has.

Hybrid booster

Our our injectors flow rated at 43.5psi?

This is a good read on e85 from the Subie camp.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341

Greg

Hybrid booster

Change the fuel filter today, a little over 3,000 miles of e85.
    Fuel drained from filter was clean, and flowed well from filter.

Greg

turbo addict

very intresting read, and e85 would be the way to go cheap race fuel. dont they say to get rid of any rubber/plastic that the fuel comes in contact with, how about the fuel lines running from the fpr to the main fuel lines, any problems there, and the e85 doesnt ruin the 40+s cause im installing my afpr 40+s and fuel pump soon i wouldnt mind going e85 if there is not problem, since i know alot of honda guys running it on stock fuel setups

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    dont they say to get rid of any rubber/plastic that the fuel comes in contact with, how about the fuel lines running from the fpr to the main fuel lines, any problems there, and the e85 doesnt ruin the 40+s cause im installing my afpr 40+s and fuel pump soon i wouldnt mind going e85 if there is not problem, since i know alot of honda guys running it on stock fuel setups
    Here ya go:

Quote Originally Posted by nBALLS View Post
    Again I say(this is not directed at anyone in particular): YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO YOUR STOCK FUEL SYSTEM TO RUN E85(replacing the 20 year old rubber lines is a good idea even with gasoline though, hehe). Other than providing enough fuel for the engine via larger injectors/different calibration.

You can also run more timing with E85.

Quote Originally Posted by nBALLS View Post
    No changes necessary, other than providing more fuel to the engine via larger injectors/fuel pump/calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    E85 is just "pumpgas" And is has about the same hp potencial as VP C-16. At a fraction of the price. Just requires expensive fuel mods to be able to flow enough fuel. Ethanol doesnt eat up parts like methanol does, and the 15% gasoline helps lubricate fuel system parts.

turbo addict

thanks for pointing out that for me make the car run 25-30% richer then on regualar fuel(91 oct) monitor it all by a af guage, turn up the fp (afpr) and your set....sweet definatly a good thought

wow after reading those threads there is alot of info on this, im still trying to calculate injector size and all that...good read ups, i got some work to do
    Last edited by 1966 dart wagon; 05-04-2008 at 12:56 AM.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Real life performance of e85 is very similar to VP C-16 race fuel in detonation suppression. So the actual octane of e85 isnt very high, but it behaves almost like a 116 octane fuel.

He isnt even close to maxing out the potencial of e85, so winter grade wont hurt anything as long as he keeps a safe air fuel ratio. And likely winter grade will make him run a little richer

I found out friday the service station one block from my house sells E85 (not listed on the e85 website)...and its cheaper then gas. I will probably run e85 in my Devilsown meth kit when I decided to finish installing that.

boostaholic

ok 2 more questions. #1 your running e85, how big of a pain is it to go back to running 93 OR being you pushing more fuel into the engine car you run 87/89? #2 most people sat "if your adding boost, pull timing. so if you can run more timing with e85 can you just keep the same timing and run more boost?

turbo addict

on his setup he would just have to lower the fuel pressure back down to run 93 octane

Garrett booster

my spirit runs rich allready so Im going to try it with the stock lines and tank?

my setup
    1.+40% injector

2.Stainless Turbo Line Kit

3.Adustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

4.ECU 1990/1991 Stage 5 Calibration

5. 3"aluminized downpipe (full 3" exhoust)

6.Air Fuel ratio U.L

7.255 l/hr Fuel pump

8.Adjustable cam pully

9. FWD bov

10. 3 bar mapsensor

11.Mahle pistons

12.Garrett turbo T3104S compressor .70 turbine .63

13. TiAl 38mm waistgate

14.38.6 exhaust 44mm intake valves

I have more but don't really recall everything on it.

turbo addict

I'm lucky because I noticed the other day the truck stop just 3 miles down the road is selling E85 now. Before I would have to drive far or go to this credit card only fleet place that puts a 40 dollar preauth on my car on top of the fuel charge every time which I can't afford to do. I heard that FFV cars used injectors that flowed some 23% more fuel to compensate. Theres a FFV at a pick-n-pull not far from me that I'm going to go to this weekend. I will get what I can.. If anyone wants something let me know.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

The stock FFV car setups make no sense.

Their injectors are equivalent to +20's but they are n/a cars and dont need that much fuel.

turbo addict

so going off the rule of : you need 25% more fuel to run e85, could you just turn up the pressure 25% (15psi) or so and run e85 on stock injectors and everything with just a afpr. and watch a wideband??

turbo addict

pressure does not effect volume out of the injector much, displayed as he needs 70 psi instead of what 40psi? that the cal is made for

Hybrid booster

Base FP is 55, for the cal.

To go back to 93 oct just need to turn the afpr down to 55, I carry the two wrenches in the glove box. I haven't had to, because I just drive the car locally.

Greg

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    The stock FFV car setups make no sense.

Their injectors are equivalent to +20's but they are n/a cars and dont need that much fuel.
    I guess its just for when they are running E85 or more ethanol. I know the indiana dot fleet cars ran nothing but ethanol so if the cars did not have the added fuel they would burn up engines or be even bigger turds then they are. My friend said they ran better than a normal NA car for sure.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

The FFV cars are set up for Methanol, hence all of the special fuel system parts, Meth is some nasty stuff. They also had a fuel % sensor inline, so the computer would know when/how much to fatten the mixture when Meth was in the fuel, so it wouldn't blow itself up.

turbo addict

Thats sounds about right.. I guess I better get the FFV parts I can if I can. Who knows if the car hasn't been raided yet.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by unluckyty View Post
    Times are about the same, but mph increases +4 for each low and high boost.
    Compared to 93+ meth injection.

Greg
    Isn't there a rule of thumb that a 1mph increase in the 1/4 requires 10 horsepower? If correct, it seems like you gained 40 HP.
    Last edited by Clay; 05-12-2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: fixing the quote
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123