Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spirit R/T e85

Hybrid booster

Talking Spirit R/T e85

First time for the R/T to the track with e85 for fuel.

Dragway 42 cold evening 43 degrees cloudy (cold track) ended up getting rained out.
    But I was able to get a couple runs in.

15# boost best
    82.87mph
    106.59 mph(107.09 best mph on 15#)

20# boost best
    87.02 mph
    111.93 mph (almost 112mph )

Cold track no traction.
    Spitit R/T daily driver t3/t4 50 trim stg 2 full 3" exhaust, 255lpm, +40 @ 70psi base fp, stg 3 fwd cal, slicks and e85

Some knock on 20# of boost though, got rained out before I could make any adjustments.

Fun evening though, raced a full size quad cab 4x4 Ram with an sts turbo that was cool. (14.0@97)

Greg

Re: Spirit R/T e85

BUT:

How do these numbers compare to gasoline???

boostaholic

what kind of mpg are you getting? i though of going to e85 for everyday driving but don't you need a plastic gas tank? i though that stuff would eat the metal

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Good job! If I could get e85 locally I'd be running it in my Spirit R/T already. I've already got everything except the +40s and a wideband o2.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    what kind of mpg are you getting? i though of going to e85 for everyday driving but don't you need a plastic gas tank? i though that stuff would eat the metal
    Ethanol is corrosive but not as bad as methanol. The flex fuel Spirts had plastic tanks because they were designed to run on methanol. You have anywhere between 5% - 15% ethanol in your fuel now and your tank is intact.

I would be interested in knowing more about unluckty's setup so he can run E85. His tune and any engine modifications. I was thinking of building an ethanol car and building a still to produce ethanol. But after figuring in the time I'd need to run the still and collect the source to distill from (sugar or starch) I decided against it. Turbo cars are a good platform for a flex fuel vehicle because of their variable compression ratio. I higher compression engine is better for running ethanol.

A.J.
    Last edited by A.J.; 04-30-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: edit content

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Very nice!

Hybrid booster

Nice runs!

Have you taken parts from an FFV Spirit to run the E-85?

We don't seem to have much of the E-85 available here yet.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

boostaholic

i have i thing 2 stations around here that would make it worh it if the mpg doesnt fall off to much

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by R/T View Post
    BUT:

How do these numbers compare to gasoline???
    Times are about the same, but mph increases +4 for each low and high boost.
    Compared to 93+ meth injection.

Greg
    Last edited by unluckyty; 05-01-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Hybrid booster

Last fill up 23 mpg, been running through the stock fuel system since last year.

Greg

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Spraynlog View Post
    Nice runs!

No, stock lines( new rubber), rail, 255 lpm, +40'S.

Only one place near me to get it also.

Greg
    Last edited by unluckyty; 05-01-2008 at 08:50 AM.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by unluckyty View Post
    Last fill up 23 mpg, been running through the stock fuel system since last year.

Greg
    so you're running e85 with the stock fuel system? i thought you needed +40's
    and afrp and a 255 pump?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Spraynlog View Post
    Nice runs!

There are several places around Portland, a friend of mine Brian, has a Galant VR4 that runs low 11s(trap speed of high 10s) on E85, and he fills up at one of them. www.e85refueling.com

In fact, Brian(and a bunch of other DSM/Evo people) should be out at PIR this Sat night, and I should be there as well.

Oh yeah, there is also Lucas English in Camas(englishracing.net) who runs E85-E90 in his daily driven 506AWHP '04 Evo, but he has a 500gal drum of E98 that gets filled up by a petroleum distributor. His fuel system is completely stock(other than 1000cc injectors, a 255, and his custom flash tune), and he's been running E85 for about a year.

Again I say(this is not directed at anyone in particular): YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO YOUR STOCK FUEL SYSTEM TO RUN E85(replacing the 20 year old rubber lines is a good idea even with gasoline though, hehe). Other than providing enough fuel for the engine via larger injectors/different calibration.

You can also run more timing with E85.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Ethanol within 10 blocks of where I live in utah, and nothing less then an hour away from my parents in seattle. ick.

Get that fuel situation fixed!

Maybe you just need to add an inline pump (assuming you arent trying for over 400hp).

Hybrid booster

so you're running e85 with the stock fuel system? i thought you needed +40's
    and afrp and a 255 pump?

Yes I have those, needed to get the additional fuel , but stock lines, rail, tank.

Greg

Hybrid booster

Get that fuel situation fixed!

Maybe you just need to add an inline pump (assuming you arent trying for over 400hp).[/QUOTE]

Did two test yesterday ,and had no knock on any cylinders at 20#.
    I don't know why I had some knock at the track.

I do think I am at the limit of the fuel system at 20#.

Greg

Hybrid booster

[QUOTE

Again I say(this is not directed at anyone in particular): YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO YOUR STOCK FUEL SYSTEM TO RUN E85(replacing the 20 year old rubber lines is a good idea even with gasoline though, hehe). Other than providing enough fuel for the engine via larger injectors/different calibration.

[/QUOTE]

I have found this several place on the net, that have stated/run stock fuel delivery systems with no problems, beside finding a way to deliver more fuel.

Walbro, has even ask for people who have run their pumps in e85, to trade for a new pump for yours.
    The pumps seem to be living in real world e85, tank use for some reason, they would like to find out why exactly.

Greg

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by nBALLS View Post
    There are several places around Portland, a friend of mine Brian, has a Galant VR4 that runs low 11s(trap speed of high 10s) on E85, and he fills up at one of them. www.e85refueling.com

In fact, Brian(and a bunch of other DSM/Evo people) should be out at PIR this Sat night, and I should be there as well.

Oh yeah, there is also Lucas English in Camas(englishracing.net) who runs E85-E90 in his daily driven 506AWHP '04 Evo, but he has a 500gal drum of E98 that gets filled up by a petroleum distributor. His fuel system is completely stock(other than 1000cc injectors, a 255, and his custom flash tune), and he's been running E85 for about a year.

Matt, thanks for the E-85 station list! I was only aware of the one on 162nd and Glisan. I'm pretty sure I have seen the VR4 Galant out at PIR....very impressive. I have seen Lucas English at the drags, great guy.
    I'll see if I can come out this Saturday, assuming it isn't rained out.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

the advantage of E85 is the higher octane. so you have more knock resistance, which allows you to run a bit more boost, and some more timing.

Otherwise, you have to use more of it because it doesnt have as much energy as gasoline.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

I saw a DSM at a local performance shop who was set up to run E85. He had like 500 all-wheel horsepower.

You don't need to change your fuel system at all? I thought you needed stainless steel injectors and a plastic gas tank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast