Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Award winning '88 Lancer Shelby

Garrett booster

Award winning '88 Lancer Shelby

Yea, you heard me right. First off I'll apologize for making another thread about this, but this will be the last in my series of Lancer Shelby build as it is now virtually completed (There is always something to do, of course).

Anyways, as stated in my previous threads this car was due to be in the Majestics 42nd annual indoor car show (biggest indoor show around). One of my friends is a member of the club which is the real reason I wanted to get it in, I know several other members of the club as well. I had some hiccups getting the car done but in the end everything (almost) was completed in time.

Before the show on Tuesday me and another friend whom is an amateur photographer went out and got some real nice photos. Worked out quite well, even though we were a little rushed due to sunset and lack of lighting. I wanted some photos for my display to go along with my "build" photos.

So here we go, on to some photos!

Test photos while driving out to our photo location:

"The sand pit"

And finally, we get to the car show. For the most part this is a classic/antique/custom but there are always a decent chunk of sport compacts that show up as well. The car was well received for the most, but I definitely saw some very very "WTF" looks - but really, I expected as much, so for those that did not stop... whatever I say! I have some good conversations with some folks and its the first time many of my buddies have seen the car completed and got "mad props" from them, "yo". Many cars that show up have no display, just a sign and a car. My buddy kept pressuring me to think of something to do so mid-week I decided I was going to do a basic garage type theme. So I brought my tool box (all stickered up with products from the Lancer), my drag radials with a dry erase board with my car/specs (you know, like a shop to do list!!). Also threw down some old retro wrenches plus I used some troubles lights for some basic lighting. It was kinda basic but I liked it. I was able to put my full spec list and photo album on the toolbox as well. The car had a great location because I was in a huuge row of BMWs right on the end, so people either had to walk all around my car or waaaay down and around the BMWs to see the cars in the corner, lol! Anyways, here are a few photos of the car at the show (a few of them are a big grainy, apparently due to the sodium filled lights in the building, sorry!):

I never mentioned before as I got it done last minute. The shift knob is all custom. I bought a cue ball, got it drilled, tapped and painted to match the car. Cool, eh? It is very difficult to find a 14x1.5 tap

A little bling, its what got most people to stop and look at the car. Otherwise it was a big WTF look:

Anyways, awards were done Sunday right before the end of the show. All cars were put into sorta "sub" classes, no money award just a Majestics plaque... so there were a couple levels of Sport Compact even (Street, Competition). For Sport Compact I was in "Street", and it was a sure win. My competition in my class was sorta lacking... even the caliber between my car and second place was huge, but as I was told later I would not have won had my car been bumped into Competition as a large part of the judging is modifications, and there were some other cars that had for more mods than me. So of course, I won the sub class for street... basic plaque and nothing fancy, but very awesome nonetheless. So after taking like 45 minutes just handing out sub-class awards we finally got to the bigger awards, these are all bigger fancy engraved plaques. When they got to the sport compact overalls something really surprised me as I didn't even know this award existed... Best Sport Compact Engine... and they called my number!! This was a nice plaque plus $100 cash. Yeeehaaaw!! Now some less-good news, but it really didn't upset me. Best Sport Compact Paint and Best Sport Compact overall were won by a PT GT Convertible with a totally wicked black & blue flame job. Otherwise his mods were stereo/wheels and other minor stuff. It did look very good, so props go to him! And one other award I was eligible for, which in truth, I wanted more than any Sport Compact award... Best "Under 25" Builder, and I'm 24 so this is the last chance I'd ever get this (even though I have no intentions of showing again at a indoor show like this). I held the tear back, but they called my number and it completely made my day. So that was another big plaque plus $250 cash (one of the very few awards that were 250, most were 100s). There were about 20 other under 25s at the show and there were some VERY nice cars so I really really really had some doubts.

Showing off my loot:

And one last one, sexiest picture evAR!

The car show was very good, many many cool cars and trucks. The show was like 98% new this year which is a new record I think. Lots of stuff to see, even the original owner of my Lancer was here with the BMW Club with his supercharged '96 318 so that was cool (I had met him about two years back so its not the first he has seen the car).

The best part though, very close to my car was a pink turbo Del Sol (I know the car and who did the turbo swap) owned by a real cutie, and her friend was there as well. My buddie kinda knows the owner a bit already. So when my buddy showed up on Sunday we had a proposition for the gals (dressed in pink, of course) - if we model for her car, her and her friend have to model for my car. Needless to saw I got some very very very nice photos, a few of them got borderline PG-13, lol. (Yea, during car show). I just figured I'd tell you how fun it was, because without permission from the gals I won't post pictures... bwahahah!!!

Anyways, thats all I have for now, I think. Enjoy!!

Re: Award winning '88 Lancer Shelby

Congrats man. Nothing wrong with being proud and wanting show off the hard work you did. The car looks great. I love H bodies!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice ride man!

Looks like a nice entry for "Car of the Month"

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Nice ride man!

Looks like a nice entry for "Car of the Month"
    Plus one on that. Maybe some day, one of mine will make it. You deserve that awards.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Major Congratulations!!!!!

Beautiful car!!!!

CAR OF THE MONTH!!!!!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Very nice work! I love your car, congrats on the win too

Awesome work on that man. Seriously, that is the dead sexiest Lancer I've ever seen. Props to you and a big congrats! The white and black accents truly set your car off big time! Any plans for changing the interior over to black?

turbo addict

Wow dude your like the H body hero right now. I have an 88 that is in its infancy of working its way into a nice car like yours. I've already got a line on rust free floors which are harder than heck to come by. Props go to you for the lengths you went to to even attempt such a feat let alone to almost always rusted or beat to snot H body. I really like those wheels and your cue ball shift knob.
    Just so I'm no copy cat I'm still going with a B and M t handle in mine that I wet sanded and polished a couple years ago when I had an 88 Shelby Z.
    It looks like you've got some grill or vents in the lower part or the front bumper. Are those factory? I don't think I've seen that before.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hybrid booster

Congratulations, that is one beautiful Lancer.

Garrett booster

Thanks alot guys!

I've never even had the slightest idea of ever changing the interior to black, that would be real interesting. During my resto I already re-dyed all the plastic in the interior, installed a new gray headliner, installed better gray front seats, and my gray carpet is already in good shape. It would be real badass I think but I don't think I'll ever do it.

The grill vents are from an ES bumper. My original bumper was in very bad shape, I bought this from a j-yard like 3 hours away like 2 years ago. I wasn't sure if I should keep the vents or not, once it was mocked into place with the upper grille in place too I loved them. I do not have the factory fog lights and that is the big reason for keeping these. I had some cheap aftermarket fogs in previously, but I'd rather just leave the vents now... I'm still wired up for fogs if I find some proper ones.

turbo addict

Good job Mike. Too bad I didn't get down there. I was busy working on my new truck and building the intake for the Shadow. Looks like we have the same BOV, I love that thing.

Surprised no one said 'show us the del sol girl pics' yet. Usually the first thing that is mentioned when the word chicks is dropped. Good to know that del sol is turbo, might be an interesting race then

turbo addict

Car of the month? How about car of the year? That car turned out VERY nice.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

She's a real beaut, Clark!

Makes my GTS look like a turd (it is, too).
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

Congrats!

Thats the nicest Lancer I've ever seen.

COTM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marion

Best Lancer Shelby of all time!

Hybrid booster

That is EXACTLY what I want for my 5-sp SL. Why couldn't all of the line (5-sp/auto) be leather? That looks so much richer than the cloth. Very nice car man!

turbo addict

woohoo thanks for the new wallpaper.

Mike M do you have "the sand Pit" the third image at a higher resolution?
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

boostaholic

Those wheels are B-E-A-UTIFUL! Are those stock Lancer wheels? The look deeper than stockers!

Garrett booster

Here ya go Raccoon:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5...tshelbyvd6.jpg

The wheels, as previously stated in my older threads, are one off custom 15x8" wheels. They only weigh ~11 pounds. They were custom made about 10 years ago by another enthusiast who had them for his '86 GLHS. From my understanding the centers are out of an old Corvette 16" 3 piece wheel (the centers of the wheels are stamped 16") that have been welded into a 15x8 aluminum rim.

Thanks again everyone, when I get around to it I'll make a COTM post, I guess, if you all think I might win

WOW,
    Nice car and congratulations !!!!
    I've owned four H body's and I like them. Keep up the good work and have fun.

J.R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast