Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 dr L-body window scrapers STILL AVAILABLE

Garrett booster

2 dr L-body window scrapers STILL AVAILABLE

Hi,
    I just wanted to let people know that my local dealer says they are still available. These are the ones on the outside not inside. I bought mine in Oct 03 and was told that they couldn't be had from the dealer back then. They in fact had them in 2 days. I keep hearing again they are NOS so I called the dealer and they said they are available from TN I believe. Pricing was $76.00 each. Here are the numbers: 04198618 and 04198579. I don't know if they are correct but I put these on my 84 Ramapage and they look great. The screw holes matched and contour was perfect. I did have to cut a notch to clear the passenger side mirror but that wasn't a problem. So before you pay $300.00 for a set on ebay check the dealer with the above part numbers. Better get them while you can.
    1984 DC Rampage 1990 Daytona C/S VNT 1988 Conquest

turbo addict

Re: 2 dr L-body window scrapers STILL AVAILABLE

Yeah I've been buying new sets for several years now. I've got a couple stashed away for future restoration work

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Got mine for my Charger a few months ago. At that time I was told there was still just over 200 of each side left in inventory.

Garrett booster

I guess what prompted this email was the set that went for $310.00 on ebay. The seller said they were no longer available. The members of this sight have saved me a lot of money on my car so if I can help someone save some too I will. I think I paid $80.00 a pair when I bought mine. I should have bought 2 pair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...spagenameZWDVW
    1984 DC Rampage 1990 Daytona C/S VNT 1988 Conquest

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Thanks METZ, this bit of info has surely saved me some $$ and prevented another self inflicted ----kicking. I, like more than a few others assumed (1st mistake) that they wouldn't be available.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

cool deal, i just ordered mine. paid $124 for the pair!!

Now to figure out about the pieces for the interior door panel. I considered putting my door panels in the Charger today, but then realized that the felt strip on the driver's panel is almost non-existent. And I do NOT want to risk scratching the glass on this car. So I spent the day researching.

Option 1- Same road others have tried, looking at universal pieces from JC Whitney. I have samples on the way, we'll see what comes from it in a couple weeks.

Option 2- I've discovered the L-body door panels are VERY similar in construction to 80's GM G-bodies (Regal, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Grand Prix). Metal shell for the curved part, with cardboard backing and cloth/vinyl upholstery stretched over it. And the interior window felt is also almost IDENTICAL, right down to the bright metal trip piece that runs along the top of the panel. Only difference is the GM material is about 3/8" taller, and 6 1/4" longer overall. The 2-door L-bodies also have a very slight upward curve to match the door contour, but the shift is roughly 10 degrees over a distance of 9", so nothing that some slight bending wouldn't fix (the GM pieces are straight the whole length). Once installed, I can't see the difference in height being an issue at all. Best part is, these pieces are available for GMs.

http://www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com/items/DM60254.html
    This is for a pair of NOS pieces for the GM cars, interior only.

http://www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com/items/DM30140.html
    This however, is for reproduction pieces, but $10 cheaper includes both inside and outside pieces. I do plan on ordering this set for my Regal, so I'll be calling to see if just the interior pieces are available in reproduction. FYI, the reproduction outside only sets run $42, so if they're available, the interior pieces should be a steal.

I'll post photos in a few minutes . . .

Man, if it works well please post. I would love to replace mine and get that stuff fixed.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Okay here's some pics. Not of the new stuff (no one ships that fast, lol) but of the old door panels I have from both the Charger and the Regal.

Overall view of the two panels, top is the Charger and bottom is Regal. As I said, the construction of the two is incredibly similar, with the biggest difference being the slight curvature of the Charger panel.

Detail view of the bright metal trim at the top of each panel. Charger on the right, Regal on the left. Again, almost identical.

Detail view of the side that sits against the glass, Charger on the left, Regal on the right. As you can see, the Regal piece is slightly taller (wider) than the Charger piece, but I don't see how that would matter once done.

Detail view of the ends to show the shape of the rubber, Charger on top, Regal on bottom. Yes the Regal piece seems flatter, but this door panel is 8 years older than the Charger's, and the rubber is broken along the fold. Otherwise the only difference is the Regal piece is slightly thicker.

Looking at them both, I have to think that the metal piece is what is unique, and then they (OEMs) just staple the felt to it! So, the felt piece must be fairly universal, just got to figure out who makes it and how to get it. You know... the easy stuff!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

I have the same problem on my drivers side. I bought a JY door panel to swap the trim, but haven't figured out how to get the scaper off and then how do you re-staple them?

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Looking at them both, I have to think that the metal piece is what is unique, and then they (OEMs) just staple the felt to it! So, the felt piece must be fairly universal, just got to figure out who makes it and how to get it. You know... the easy stuff!

Mike
    I was thinking that at first, but looking closer the rubber/felt is definately bonded to a metal frame. Now that's not to say that the rubber couldn't be scraped off and new rubber glued on, if a suitable piece were found.

The two samples I have coming from JCW are described as having a "stainless bead" along the top of the piece. I don't know if that is going to be the bright trim shown in the pics or not, but I'll post pics as soon as they arrive. If not, I'm fairly confident that the GM parts will work, and work well. Also the JCW parts are listed at $19 each for a 4' strip, which probably isn't that much cheaper than the GM parts if the repops are similarly priced to the outside pieces. I'm also digging around for additional sources for the GM ones, both for pricing and more information. I might even be able to find a "how to" write up on replacing the pieces, which would also directly apply to the Charger panels.

One more thing, I also believe everything will be similar for Daytonas and other bodies as well, but I haven't dug my Daytona door panels out of storage yet. But suffice to say, I'm getting rather excited about this!

Quote Originally Posted by rare_ram View Post
    I have the same problem on my drivers side. I bought a JY door panel to swap the trim, but haven't figured out how to get the scaper off and then how do you re-staple them?
    I have not attempted disassembly yet, and will not do so until the parts arrive. But looking the panels over, I'm thinking one would have to carefully pry the staples open with a small screwdriver and remove them. Carefully mark and drill/punch new holes in the replacement stripping, put the staples back in, and carefully fold them back over to secure it.

I'm also going to talk to a couple interior shops around town for their opinions on all of this, and to see if there's any tools and/or new staples to make this job easier. Really, they're no different than regular office staples except in size- Anyone have a really big Swingline I can borrow?

:milton:

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    ?? Does this mean you need us to move our desk to the basement? "quite voice" cause you know I could just burn this whole place down...."quite voice"

Mike

PS Thanks again for letting us know about the AWD parts, they made it home just last Friday, safe and sound...

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Just now ordered mine. Parts guy said 140 of one side and 170 of the other.

What did you pay for the set? If it's worth it, I would just go with those then do the Regal route, although it's great to know that information.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Cool Re: 2 dr L-body window scrapers STILL AVAILABLE

I just bought a set as well--local Mopar parts guy was able to mark them down to appx. $76 per side. I was originally quoted something like $96 and $105, but then shamed them into giving me a discount.

They arrived a bit bent up, but once I had them out of the cardboard sleeves they straightened right out.

I think they size you up at the counter before they give you a price.

Thanks for the part numbers for these pieces, the ones on the SC are in very bad shape. Now just need to get me a set before they go NS1.

Hybrid booster

You'll have to mod the passenger-side scraper. It doesn't come with the divet cut out of it for the sideview mirror. I used a Dremel with a sanding drum.

Also repainted my mirrors and learned how to take my window glass out!

Hybrid booster

I just ordered a driver's side for my car. I assume you have to take the window out to replace the scraper? How difficult has the job been so far?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast