Thread: GLHS vs EVO IX

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

GLHS vs EVO IX

At our regular SD/TD monthly meetings last night one of the regulars showed up in his nex EVO IX, at first I didn't notice it because he has been driving an EVO VIII for about a year so I just thought it was the same car He is a little hard on parts as he has already torched the clutch and the center diff in the VIII So we discussed that since we were headed home the same direction, we should maybe try a couple of pulls.

Naturally, he wants to run off the line and I want a little freeway roll So I guess we decide to do both Only thing is, the guy drives like a madman, little short WOT bursts the whole time, BOV singing etc. 'Street contest' in Cali is a major NoNo, immeadiate impound of vehical and probable loss of license. So I am trying to keep a low profile until we can line up in a safe low key area. Finally after we cross town (and pass one officer who I thought sure was going to pull us cause Mark is acting a 16year old with a new toy), we get a light together.

Of course runnng thru my mind is that I will need a near perfect launch to have any chance of reeling him in after he gets out on me by 2-3 cars with his AWD EVO... Then I hear him prep for the green, he simply buries his foot to the floor and lets the limiter take the guess work out of it BWAAAA POP! BWAAA POP! BWAAAA POP! He is just gonna side step the clutch at whatever freewheeling rev limit the managment will allow! Did I mention he is hard on his cars?? Light finally goes after like 10-12 bounces off the limiter in the next lane and I guess I'm a little off on my own target revs I'm all spin and smoke and he is easily 6-8 cars out on my by the time I am even accross the intersection Oh well, freeway is just a few blocks away

Two other cars prevented us from letting the freeway onramp be our own private starting line and when I catch up, I'm in fourth at 4500 and he sounds like he is in third. We hit it right about the same time and he jumps out a car on me (the DBB GT 35 just made it to a little higher spot on my priority list before I am fully spooled then after what seems like forever but probably closer to two seconds the S car freight trains him. Of course once I have two cars on him, he backs out of it and at that point I don't want to lift, ever We go again from the same type of roll with the exact same results, he jumps out a car then I catch and pull away. Good times all around and a thumbs up to him as he hits his off ramp long before I do. Five miles south of there I meet up with an EVO MR, I play it cool not wanting to show all my cards give him a couple half throttle surges. He gives me back a half dozen or so BOV shots but nothing more-he won't go. Yeah, I was hoping for another EVO notch in my scorecard but that's how it goes...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

Re: GLHS vs EVO IX

Awesome story!! I didn't want it to end!

Garrett booster

Good story... man, just imagine how quick an AWD GLHS would be!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by TrrboJeep
    Good story... man, just imagine how quick an AWD GLHS would be!
    lol THAT WOULD BE SOME SICK --- ---- IF GLHS AWD WERE MADE lol

BUT GREAT KILLS MAN

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Another great read,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Sweet runs dude.

Wink Re: GLHS vs EVO IX

Why won't Mark do that with Me?

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice one Alan!! I sure do admire your work on the GLHS

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh
    Why won't Mark do that with Me?
    Ya' think it's the fact that he hears about all the Corvette/Mustang/Camaro/etc. kills that you have under your belt? But then again there seems to be a preconceived notion that the "ugly old omni aint worth my time". That is, until it's too late, ie: when they realize it's your taillights they are mindlessly staring at.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Evo's and STI's just laugh at me when I try and race them... ----y bastards.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Mario
    Evo's and STI's just laugh at me when I try and race them... ----y bastards.
    Well show them B***h's what it really mean to have a fast car ......MOPAR STYLE LOL
    they are some ----y people in .....CT its more like ----y rich people that their mommys buys them their EVO's and WRX'S

Talking Re: GLHS vs EVO IX

My local dragstrip is full of those guys. They avoid me like the plague.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Mock, on slicks with your 1.70's I know you could obliterate his EVO IX On street tires launching accross an intersection, you would be playing some serious catch up after 100' mark...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

I try realing them in with a few breaths from the bov but like I said most just glance over and laugh. I'm not sure what I can do to real them in. F-Bodies and Mustangs on the other hand however will go at the drop of a hat.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo
    Mock, on slicks with your 1.70's I know you could obliterate his EVO IX On street tires launching accross an intersection, you would be playing some serious catch up after 100' mark...
    I know that but you might remember his response when such a contest was suggested at the club meeting. It probably would take the better part of a quarter mile to catch his AWD advantage on street tires. But he knows that's his only advantage.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Wish I'd been there. Good read. Great use of the smilies thingies.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh
    I know that but you might remember his response when such a contest was suggested at the club meeting. It probably would take the better part of a quarter mile to catch his AWD advantage on street tires. But he knows that's his only advantage.
    Only advantage? What about aerodynamics?

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by OmniGTI
    Only advantage? What about aerodynamics?
    Aero? Well, let's take a look...

The front looks nicely shaped to flow the air around it nice... but wait, whats this?:

It's that dreaded "ricer wing" again There goes the whole "aero advantage" out the window and under the rear tire....

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby5150
    Aero? Well, let's take a look...

The front looks nicely shaped to flow the air around it nice... but wait, whats this?:

It's that dreaded "ricer wing" again There goes the whole "aero advantage" out the window and under the rear tire....
    The pics might be more amusing if they worked.