Thread: Strange speedometer problem.

Garrett booster

Strange speedometer problem.

I have a 91 spirit rt. My speedometer and sometime the RPM gauge is acting very strange. After it has set overnight it works fine until I have turned the car on for approx 5 minutes or so. Then it starts to shake erratically for a minute or so and then seems to settle about 10-12mph too slow when I am really going 60mph. Every now and then when I am riding it pretty hard, the rpm guage will fluctuate wildly for a short time.

Does anyone have an idea? Is it a sensor problem or wiring harness problem? Thanks for input.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Strange speedometer problem.

check the plastic gear on the sensor in the trans.....im thinking its all stripped up!!

the tach issue is different, try using some electronic cleaner on all the connections for the instrument cluster, this solved my erratic tach on the 93 V6 years ago....

Tired speed distance sensor or intermittent connection at the sensor would be my guess.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hi, the speedsensor also would eventually throw a code and could cause idle issues inkl. stalling when breaking. I have not had one Chrysler Car covered by this board which did not have eventually a Speedsensor issue. And so far I had 5!
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's true...its a common failure. Converting to the 3 wire hall effect sensor is worthwhile if you don't have a mechanical speedo.