Thread: Dead Daytona (15 yrs) Fuel Sys Help

Mitsu booster

Dead Daytona (15 yrs) Fuel Sys Help

what should be done to the fuel system of this 87 TI after it has been sitting for 15 years?
    i'll replace the rubber lines and fuel filter........should i drop the tank and take it to the car wash and power wash it out?

i'll change the fuel pump sock.

the timing belt was what parked it back in '93.....the engine was stuck and i found one to swap it out.

any other suggestions?

.................thanks

boostaholic

Re: Dead Daytona (15 yrs) Fuel Sys Help

Flush the steel lines too.

turbo addict

For a Mopar just add gas and fire it up For an Audi, Replace every single part then pray to the gods that it'll fire up heheh.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

If it were my car, I'd definately remove the tank and power wash it. Spray the strap studs with WD40 or PB Blaster ahead of time. I helped a friend get a '90 Shadow ES running once that had been sitting for about seven years. The gas looked like wine and smelled like kerosene. New rubber lines, clamps, filter, and if you can, blow the lines out with compressed air. Heck I'd probably replace the fuel injector and FPR O-rings too. Chances are it will need a new fuel pump as well.

turbo addict

+1 After 15 years, if it still works, it probably doesn't work well or won't work for long.

Garrett booster

I don't know about powerwashing out the gas tank,I've taken mine to rad shop and see if they'll clean it out,some will some won't but after 15 years they might because I wonder if there's any flamability in there? No sense in getting water in the gas mix!! unless your water injecting!! Have you checked out the brakes they rust up real bad sitting that long!!!!!
    Have fun,
    Terry

My daytona sat for 13 years and I had to replace the fuel pump, gas tank, fuel filter, all the fuel hoses, one gas line, Front brake hoses, calipers, and WGA. It had been run occasionally over that time and the fuel pump was replaced once as well.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."