Thread: Prime the oil system?

Hybrid booster

Prime the oil system?

I have had the car parked since Nov for a new head and rebuilt turbo. I have some fresh oil in it. I wanted to prime the oil system as I put on a rebuilt turbo and did not want to start it dry.

As the timing belt is still off, I put my drill on the I-Shaft and spun it, clockwise. I have done it long enough my cordless was starting to complain. Even used the cord drill for a bit. Still no oil up top or in the new filter.

Getting a little concerned. Any ideas how long it should take to get the oil moving? Or if something not good is up?

boostaholic

Re: Prime the oil system?

It didnt take much more than a few seconds to fill mine up when I spun it over.Put a pressure gage on it to verify theres no pressure.And dont spin it real real fast.

Hybrid booster

It was diffently way longer than that. I was turning it over very quickly. I will try slowly. No mech pressure guage. However, I did take the oil filter off and it was still dry as a bone.

boostaholic

Fill the filter up before you put it on,so you dont have to wait on that.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

If there is no oil inside the pump, it won't prime. I've been able to get around this by filling the oil filter with some oil and reinstalling the filter and then spinning the I-shaft. Sure it makes a little mess if you aren't quick about it but it's always worked for me. Otherwise try squirting oil directly into the passage in the oil filter boss.

turbo addict

I filled the oil filter up half full, then I turn the intermediate shaft by hand to prime my oil system...

Hybrid booster

I will try that as well. By hand is good enough to prime the system??

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I use a 3/8" drill with a 1" spade bit that has had the tip removed and it takes very little time at all to hear the resistance caused by the pressure building. Perhaps 1-2 seconds.

Man, when Andy and I were trying to prime my motor about two years ago, it took forever. His drill started to smoke a little, so we stopped. It took quite a bit of time so don't give up.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

being lazy.........put a wee bit of oil in pump filled oil filter........left distributor unplugged and use starter motor to prime ................watching oil pressure gauge ........it came right up.

watched a friend once snap the drive fitting off a small block shevvy priming pump....blechhh!

deuce

boostaholic

I used a speed handle on the one Im building but I also wanted to check out the oil drain propertys of the hibrid so I also used a 1/2 inch drill for a while to make sure the head didnt fill up to much.

Hybrid booster

Well, I have it primed.

I was very surprised how much oil the filter soaked up. However, filling the filter (Canadian Tire MotorMaster) did not accomplish anything. I did get it on, filled, with out making a mess. What I did end up doing was an extension of that idea.

With the filter off I used my oil fill tube and put it in the hole from the oil pump (bottom and to the side). Poured in a bit of oil. Then with the filter still off, I used the speed wrench and it puked oil almost immediately. Put the filter back on, speed wrench on the I Shaft and I had oil up top in no time. Definitely noticed the difference in effort once the oil was moving.

Now, why did the oil drain out of the pump that it needed to be primed? I did notice when I took the filter (NAPA Gold) off, it looked to be half empty. The drain back valve screwed into the block is newish. Took it out and it could hold water no problem.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I've never packed or preprimed an oil pump on a Turbo Mopar, I just usually but a bit down the pickup if the engine is upside down. If the oil filter is empty, it can take minutes to prime as an electric drill doesn't spin it fast enough.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Funny, once I primed it, spinning the I shaft by hand was enough to get oil up top in seconds. Where as before, I went through 2 batteries on the cordless, some of it with out the oil filter off, with out pulling up a drop. The pump is not that old either, about 4 years old.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssheen View Post
    Funny, once I primed it, spinning the I shaft by hand was enough to get oil up top in seconds. Where as before, I went through 2 batteries on the cordless, some of it with out the oil filter off, with out pulling up a drop. The pump is not that old either, about 4 years old.
    Cordless is a bad match, I found I had to use an electric drill, the cordless just didn't have the balls. Yeah, once primed, it flows faster, as your not filling air pockets.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I think when I put the new pump in, we had issue using a drill, and ended up using a high RPM air tool... Too long ago to remember. Though, did not think the same issue should occur on an oil pump that has been in the car for 4 years???