Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark plug options.

boostaholic

Spark plug options.

Hey guys, i am in the process of tuning up the shelby, heres what i have done to it, upgraded to 2.5 motor, and put a s-60 turbo on with 2.5 exhaust all the way back. I am getting some of Mr.Simon wires...lol, i have the stock plugs in there but was woundering what type of better plugs are out there, i also run about 14 # of boost. Thanks!

Tom

Re: Spark plug options.

Nothing wrong with champion RN12YC's at 14 PSI. The RN11YC's are OK too if you want to stay on the safer side. The 9's will be too cold for only 14 PSI.
    I made 300 WHP at 25 PSI with RN11's, no detonation.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Wow, opening up a can of worms, lol. We have covered this a million times but here's my 2 cents.

ANY regular plug is fine but I would go a step or 2 colder, IE RN9's, I also like Bosch and Autolite regular plugs, NGK V groove wear too fast.

If you like plug life, I love the NKG Iridiums, they take a shitkicking,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Allright thanks guys

Topic closed!!!

There you go simon...lol

Tom

Just to bump it, anyone try those diamond or triangle or whatever ones they used last weekend on Horsepower?

boostaholic

Wow, They where accually working in the shop this past episode? I'am starting not to watch that show anymore...all it is, is them going to the drag strip..............yea..........then coming back for 5 minutes in the shop to advertise parts..."The Market Place"

Tom

They picked up 5hp and some mpg against bosch plus4, of course any plug, even lawnmower plugs would pick up power compared to those

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Wow, opening up a can of worms, lol. We have covered this a million times but here's my 2 cents.

ANY regular plug is fine but I would go a step or 2 colder, IE RN9's, I also like Bosch and Autolite regular plugs, NGK V groove wear too fast.

If you like plug life, I love the NKG Iridiums, they take a shitkicking,
    You have Iridiums that handle a turbo'd car and last???? I've never had the iridiums hold up to the heat. I dunno, i ran 2 sets back to back on my tona' and they were toast withing a month, the V-powers have always held up great for me. If your running more than stock boost, i'd definately agree with going colder though.

Quote Originally Posted by STPVIPER View Post
    You have Iridiums that handle a turbo'd car and last???? I've never had the iridiums hold up to the heat. I dunno, i ran 2 sets back to back on my tona' and they were toast withing a month, the V-powers have always held up great for me. If your running more than stock boost, i'd definately agree with going colder though.
    They've taken 30+ pounds of boost, blown head gaskets, melted pistons, cylinder heads, C16, mega lean, mega rich and using an Aurora coil. I had one set in for 2 years and not a mark, Regular plugs were done in about 5000 kms.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    They've taken 30+ pounds of boost, blown head gaskets, melted pistons, cylinder heads, C16, mega lean, mega rich and using an Aurora coil. I had one set in for 2 years and not a mark, Regular plugs were done in about 5000 kms.
    Well maybe they deserve 1 more shot in mine, but i'm comin after you if they melt

turbo addict

Its usually the platinum plugs that cant handle the heat not iridiums.

Quote Originally Posted by STPVIPER View Post
    Well maybe they deserve 1 more shot in mine, but i'm comin after you if they melt
    Sure, if you can catch me,

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetona View Post
    Its usually the platinum plugs that cant handle the heat not iridiums.
    No sh*t sherlock, platinums are horrible plugs. Unless you've got a coil on plug setup

Garrett booster

What are the NGK G54's v grooves or something like that... I can't remember what the numbers are on them but are they any good after 15 psi? Also anyone know the next number down for heat range with a NGK v groove vrs a Champion 11cy?

Robb
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291434
    Ontario Shelby Dodge Auto Club Member

I think stock is GR4's, so colder would be GR5's and higher. Champion goes the other way, lower number, colder.

Garrett booster

Simon.. Forum whore lol........ You the man ... Thanks for the info

Robb
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291434
    Ontario Shelby Dodge Auto Club Member

turbo addict

Oy... I think platinums are crap. Iridiums are good, but again not the point here. For good spark you cannot go wrong with NGK's. They run the regular NGK's in high boost RX7 rotary engines and they are the best bar none against fouling not to mention it gets hotter than hammered hell in those rotaries.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

this is what im talking about http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Oy... I think platinums are crap. Iridiums are good, but again not the point here. For good spark you cannot go wrong with NGK's. They run the regular NGK's in high boost RX7 rotary engines and they are the best bar none against fouling not to mention it gets hotter than hammered hell in those rotaries.

They don't run regular plugs in Rotary's, they take a special plug with NO ground electrode.

turbo addict

Guess I was too general in my rotary explanation of how NGK engineers their plugs per application. They even have a different plug for leading a trailing in the case of the RX engine. Heres a couple pics. One is of a generic plug-the denso which is similar to the horrid autolite design. The other shows the difference in the NGK. Much better plugs.

[FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast