Thread: I'm rebuilding my turbo and have questions...

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'm rebuilding my turbo and have questions...

I have my turbo completely taken apart and have rebuild kit. Took bearings out and want to know whats the best way to clean inside where the bearings go?

The turbine wheel has oil burned to it and had it soaking in diesel for 3 days and the crusty oil is still there and won't come off lightly scrubbing with a wire brush.
    Any other tips would be awsome!
    Thanks, Curt.

Mitsu booster

Re: I'm rebuilding my turbo and have questions...

I just rebuilt my garrett not too long ago. Theres a few pics on my cardomain site page 4 if you want to look.

Basically, I stripped it down to pieces like you have already done, and sand blasted everything except for the turbine shaft. (Cover it with a cloth and tape). As for the turbine itself, I found that sandblasting was the most efficient way to clean it.

I used a simple black aluminum oxide first to blast away dirt and leave a nice clean surface. Then I used glass beads to polish the pieces I wanted to have a smoother finish ( ie. compressor housing and compressor wheel ) Other then that, I just used alot of brake cleaner to remove any sand left inside the center housing ( which by the way gets alot of attention with the sand blaster, inside and out ). As long as your sure you have removed any blasting media, you will be fine, and will have a cleaner base for rebuilding then you would with a wire brush and diesel.
    Also, incase you were wondering, I did not have it professionally balanced, I just marked the 2 wheels and re-assembled them as close to the marks as possible.. Oh, and for the shaft, if its scored or has blackened, use scotchbrite and take your time on it.. Comes up to a nice polished finish with some elbow grease.... My Garrett now spools, boosts and sounds brilliant!

Good luck, and I hope this helped some.

Any more questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Nicholas

P.S. Heres my cardomain link. http://cardomain.com/id/bowtybusterturbo

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: I'm rebuilding my turbo and have questions...

Much appreciated!, thanks that will help. I thought about sandblasting but was unsure about doing it.