Thread: windage tray??

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

windage tray??

can I get some info on people running these???

anyone running the TU one?? ($175)

or the FWDP one?? ($300)

the FWDP one looks like it bolts onto the mains? and I dont think it appears to ahve the flapping doors like the TU one is described as to having....

also is it still a good idea to run crank scrapers, along with the windage tray? or are they not really needed? im thinking its just extra insurance...

need 2 ditch this 2.5 pan on my 2.2 with the proper pan (which I have) Im thinking its a good time to help oiling while the pan is off

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: windage tray??

Well, windage/scraping and baffling are two different things, of course.

A baffled pan prevents the oil pump pickup from sucking air; it prevents the oil sloshing up and away from the bottom of the pan.

Windage/scraping sort of slices the oil off of the spinning parts.

Both are good but they can get complicated and can be risky if they break or come loose.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Garrett booster

Oil control is always a good thing...whether you purchase a system that has a known track record or you do the homework and build your own. Scrapers are a good idea as long as there is somewhere for the oil to be directed to after it is separated from the windage surrounding the rotating assembly. Hinged traps for the pick-up are again a good thing as long as the rest of the design insures a constant suppply of oil to the trap assy.

Reduced oil aeration and a few free HP in the process. Due dilligence and have at it. We have always designed and built our own systems so have no recommendations about either of the deals you are looking at, but both companies have a good track record. I'm sure that there will be some good experience recommendations offered from the group.

I have the TU pan on my 2.5TI minus balance shafts. I will never remove a motor's balance shafts unless I have a baffled pan to take its place.

Surprising, all the trouble i had with the quality and customer service the pan was worth all the headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    can I get some info on people running these???
    anyone running the TU one?? ($175)
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Car Craft or Hot Rod just tested an engine on the dyno with and without a baffled setup, they tried two setups and one made like one more hp on an engine dyno, the other one made something like 5-10 hp on a race motor but it lowered oil temps, the sign they said it was really working. If your going for power, your looking in the wrong place but it will help with engine life.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

a baffled pan isn't gonna show much on a dyno, it's when you're flying through the corners and down the straight that it's really gonna help.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    a baffled pan isn't gonna show much on a dyno, it's when you're flying through the corners and down the straight that it's really gonna help.
    Exactly, just saying if your looking for power, find something else or turn up the boost,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

should have plenty of power once the car is tuned im just looking to keep the motor 2gether id rather not spin a bearing or something because the pick up isnt sucking oil 24-7 and yes I do have plans for autocrossing

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Car Craft or Hot Rod just tested an engine on the dyno with and without a baffled setup, they tried two setups and one made like one more hp on an engine dyno, the other one made something like 5-10 hp on a race motor but it lowered oil temps, the sign they said it was really working. If your going for power, your looking in the wrong place but it will help with engine life.
    Baffles are used for oil control while driving to ensure that there is a good supply of non-aerated oil to the oil pick up no matter what the acting external dynamic forces of the chassis might be.

A good scraper system and usually a pan kick out/screen assy reduce parasitic losses by pulling the oil out of the windage around the rotating system and directing it to the pan and the baffle system to get it back to the pick up without the foaming. The more efficient the scraper/screen system is, the better the reduction in oil aeration. The deeper the pan is...the easier it is to get the oil out of the windage. There is also the benefit of having more oil capacity which can contribute to the oil temp being a little lower. And by removing the oil from the windage on wet sump race motors, guys like Smokey and Grumpy claimed as much as 45hp gained on a small block. This is not just a baffled pan/windage tray mind you, but a fully developed oil control system. Also in most cases they both agreed that a high volume oil pump can pull too much oil out of the pan too quickly, as well as adding all that extra oil into the internal windage there can be an actual potential for both oil starvation/pressure loss, and horsepower loss to additional parasitic drag.

Dry sump systems can offer even more by reducing the oil actually in a running engine to as little as a cup or maybe even less. Also the internal evacuation of air pressure allow for the ring package to perform with more stability, maintaining a better seal to the cylinder walls. This allows for a reduced piston ring thickness to be used, which in turn reduces the frictional loss.

turbo addict

Couple links for you....

http://polybushings.com/pages/oilpan.html

Home built (first one ever)
    http://polybushings.com/pages/oilpan2.html
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

Your selling that one?

What happened to your Vendor status?

turbo addict

NOT selling the oil pan, it is one I made for my wagon. It really helped by the way. I drive a little hard sometimes around corners and have autocrossed it a couple times. It used to tick after sprited driving, but after the new pan it doesn't.

I am still a vender, I just don't build pans for sale. I used to build beautiful pans when I worked at the hotrod Ford shop. Here is a photo of one....
    http://aldridgemotorsportsinc.com/images/oilpan.jpg

I haven't seen the pans Cindy sells but I saw photos of the ones Chris sells, they look real good.

johnny
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

I am still a vender, I just don't build pans for sale.

johnny
    If you look at your sig etc, your just a regular joe, thats why i asked,

turbo addict

This better?

Johnny
    PolyBushings.com
    The best stuff for your Mopar!

turbo addict

I tried to add my logo 10 times and it always says "failed", so
    not sure how to fix it.

Johnny

This better?

Johnny
    PolyBushings.com
    The best stuff for your Mopar!
    Sure, that works. Do you have alt bushings for a 90 GTC?

I tried to add my logo 10 times and it always says "failed", so
    not sure how to fix it.

Johnny

Maybe check your subscription, could have run out as it doesn't say "Vendor" under your name?

turbo addict

Do you have alt bushings for a 90 GTC?
    Yes I do....

http://polybushings.com/pages/altbushings.html

Johnny