Thread: Fan shroud - oil filter

Fan shroud - oil filter

I was wondering if there are any benefits to newer electrical fans to replace my stock fan on my 87' GLHS. The stock fan's shroud is too wide and I have to buy a different oil filter, because the regualr ones are too long and hits the shroud. Anyone out there have good luck with particular modern electrical fans? Brand names - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Fan shroud - oil filter

Depending on which model, newer ones are more efficient and are quieter. I have a 16" on the van, it basically covers the entire stock rad and keeps it very cool when it turns on and you can't even hear it whereas the stocker was bloody loud, plus its skinny. Any decent name brand is fine, Ebay, Jegs, Summit etc.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I use a 14" Derale electric fan on my Omni. It's mounted to a sheetmetal shroud I had a local heating-A/C place make for me. Works great. If you do decide on an aftermarket fan, DON'T use the included zip ties to mount the fan to the core tubes. That only lasts about six months if your lucky, then the core tubes break. Do yourself a big favor and have a sheetmetal shroud made. Mine is only about 1/2" thick and I can still use the stock 2.2L oil filter.

I have a 16" on a custom radiator, but I also have the radiator moved under the support. I hated that I couldn't do an oil change without tearing up my hands and using a mini filter. I'm all good now! Electric fans are the best.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

".......if there are any benefits to newer electrical fans to replace my stock fan on my 87' GLHS...."

in terms of cooling? i'd say no. the 5 wide chord swept blades on the 87 glhs fan (different from the unit gound on the 86 glhs) has to be the best design for the L-body. i doubt you'll pick up any additional cooling capabilities with an aftermarket fan.

there's several good quality stubby oil filters for your application, i'd go that way and retain that original fan/shroud assembly.

Thanks. I will look around because the only oil filter I have found to use is a stubby wix brand. Wix is supposed to be a decent company, but they are $11.00 bucks a pop for an ordinary oil filter.

What's the Wix P/N? One issue with the Wix design is that some space is wasted to make room for the bypass valve. This is a noticable issue with stubby filters because there is even less room for the cartridge.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

When I mounted mine, it was large enough I could screw it to the rad frame, so no need for a custom shield.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info