Thread: tbi plastic spacer

Hybrid booster

tbi plastic spacer

someone said that a tb spacer would add some power to my shadow but im not shure how that works and if its worth it can i use 2 factory spacers together to get some clearence and would it have the same power affect?

Re: tbi plastic spacer

I suppose it could help a bit, given they are nothing more than electrical carbs. I think the intake manifold is a major part of the TBI problem. Want your TBI to go fast? Spray it.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    Want your TBI to go fast? Spray it.
    My cat used to spray the carpet and when I beat his --- he ran pretty fast, so yea, I guess that would work.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yes, you add two spacers together, it changes the intake plenum size, you will probably add 1-2 hp,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

but prob would'nt change much would it ?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

my aries i stacked some, maybe 3-4, knocked open the little hole where the tb meets the manifold, put an exhaust on it, took coolant lines off the intake manifold, and according to calculations from weight and trap speed it made 115-120 hp, up from 95-100. the everything between the air filter and the head on a tbi is the problem.. but if you have a 5-speed, some mods can be worth the effort. if you have an auto the only mod that is worth doing on a tbi is a 5 speed swap and that is that.

Wasn't there somebody on one of the forum's that made a 1'' metal spacer for the TBI?
    Some good tips for extra HP-
    2.25'' exhaust no cat and something like a turbo muffler
    TBI spacer
    coolant lines off the intake
    cone filter intake (hard to do since the TBI has a weird inlet, just a K&N in the stock box will help)
    timing to atleast 15*
    180* thermostat and a manual fan switch for when you are stopped
    RN12YC plugs with .035'' gap
    hotter spark coil and good wires
    Remove balance shafts if it's a 2.5L
    Hotter cam
    adjustable cam gear to play with timing
    Underdrive pulley

And of course you can always get a ported head as well LOL.

I have like 3 or 4 spacers under mine, all RTV'd together, I switched to studs because the stock bolts werent long enough.

for the airbox you can switch to an L body airbox with a V6 bottom end and do a CAI off that

did anyone else have like lag problems when removing the coolant lines from the intake manifold? When I removed them I would hit the gas and the engine would like bog for a second then pick up...It got annoying so I hooked them back up again.

has anyone tried porting an intake manifold? I thinkk some gains could be seen if you use spacers. it looks like theres a lip inside the manifold that just restricts flow once you move the TB up.

i need to update that sticker one day......or just get rid of that one.....
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    And of course you can always get a ported head as well LOL.

I was thinking about doing some slight port work to my TBI Spirit to pick up fuel mileage. How would you compensate for fuel on a TBI engine?

turbo addict

I think the oxy sensor would be able to compensate for the added 10-20 hp? My stock comps have always compensated when putting on bigger intercoolers and such. That being said that is 4 injectors and more fuel delivery capacity. Maybe Turzbo and I have more work to do than we think

Quote Originally Posted by tvanlant View Post
    I was thinking about doing some slight port work to my TBI Spirit to pick up fuel mileage. How would you compensate for fuel on a TBI engine?
    Just a universal inline adjustable regulator. The ECU will be able to compensate at an idle for what you have to add in WOT.

Hybrid booster

Well, the car won't be seeing any WOT time anyway, so it should always be under O2 feedback. I am just wondering if I will need an adjustable regulator for normal driving, especially highway where there will be a decent load on the engine. Without upping the pressure, is the injector going to be able to provide enough fuel?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tvanlant View Post
    Well, the car won't be seeing any WOT time anyway, so it should always be under O2 feedback. I am just wondering if I will need an adjustable regulator for normal driving, especially highway where there will be a decent load on the engine. Without upping the pressure, is the injector going to be able to provide enough fuel?
    I think you have a bit of room to play with. Worst case, you up the base fuel pressure a few psi.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

so were can i get a bigger cam and will that cost an arm and a leg (will be a stock 91 2.2n/a and already did the 5 speed swap thanks to overlordsshadow and has a lot mor pep consitering the 88 2.2 with terable blow by is still a live

Hybrid booster

also insted of a 180 t stat im runnin a 160 with a controlled fan and always try to run as cold as possible mecanical temp gauge usually reads 100F or less it is good to run cold as posible right?

turbo addict

You'll have worse gas mileage and wear the motor out faster IIRC.

+1 optimum operating temperature is around 190....for some reason 196 pops in my head...either way, running colder just means your dumping more fuel in the engine
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

180 is the best compromise for power and longevity of the engine.