Thread: installing VC w/ 1 piece gasket

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

installing VC w/ 1 piece gasket

Ok, I think tonight if I get to feeling better Im going to pull the valve cover on my GLHT to repair a stripped VC bolt hole thats creating an oil leak. Since I have a 1 piece gasket VC, Im probably going to install it but wanted to see what the typical procedure is.

do you guys use any sealant at all? maybe some to help hold the gasket in the cover?

anywhere else? or just make sure all the sealing surfaces are clean and thats it??

thanks!
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Hybrid booster

Re: installing VC w/ 1 piece gasket

some may do it different but i just put it on dry and clean and haven't had any leakage at all. sprayed the head and bottom of VC with brake clean and bolted it down, i love my one piece VC!

Mitsu booster

You can get a product from permatex called high tack - spray a gasket. Its seals the gasket and holds it in place.

Hybrid booster

I put just a small dab of sealant on the vc side to hold the gasket on.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

I put it on dry, no leaks. The valve cover holds the gasket in fairly well while your installing it.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Hybrid booster

I usually just put a little dab of RTV in the corners where the cam end caps meet the head.
    No fun cars any more :(

Garrett booster

The mopar gasket stays in place well, but when i've used the felpro i needed to use small dabs of rtv to keep it in place. It may have been related to the age/how many times the felpro had been used (i don't remember for sure ).

+1 on the mopar gasket stays in there even dry. The mopar gasket starts to leak in the back after you've re-used it about 3-5 times, so after like the 3rd use I stick a VERY thin amount of RTV along the head at the back before installation and then I order a new gasket for next time it comes off.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Brake cleaner to clean everything, then put it on dry. Felpro gaskets are a little tricky but as long as you dont pinch it, it will seal well.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

+1 on dry although if you really want it to stay in the VC 3M weatherstrip adhesive works well.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

a dab of rtv in the corners.

+1 to the RTV in the corners. Heat and age is what does them in more than reuse. If the rubber still flexes out of the channel then it should seal OK. My luck is mixed, so I don't reuse them if they've been on more than a year or so driven daily.