Thread: Who here is running a tu Header with egt please read

Hybrid booster

Who here is running a tu Header with egt please read

who is running a tu Header not the CAST one

I need to know that if u are running a egt are you getting higher readings then before ?>

trying to see why egts are higher then the wideband is telling me it should be

turbo addict

Re: Who here is running a tu Header with egt please read

I think you need to read this, just for info(post 13 and 14 specifically)
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...-high-egt.html

and this
    http://www.sdsefi.com/techegt.htm

To me I would very carefully add more timing, watching for knock, if it doesnt add more till it does then back it off 3deg(if its audible), see what your EGT's look like then.

EGT not a good gauge to have especially on just 1 cylinder or in the collector.
    If you had 1 per cyl then you could tell something by how they differ, other than that its just something that makes people worry.
    Last edited by Speedeuphoria; 04-10-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Hybrid booster

i have done 90% of that

no real change thats why i want to see if people running this header and it being coated is making it show hotter temps and all

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yep, I saw 1600+ with the probe in the center of the TU welded L manifold's outlet - just B4 the turbo. I did not see temps that high with a ported stock cast manifold with the probe in the same place. Never did figure it out I'd go with Wallace's comments to the effect that A/F and old school plug chops/reading are a more direct, and less complicated, indicator. The problem is that we are working with surrogate/indirect indicators of what's going on.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Yeah, I've never had an EGT before I put one in the Daytona. I put it in #4 for convenience but I maybe should have put it in the collector. The WB has me at 11.5-12.0 at 21psi and I never see EGTs greater than about 1450. Even at brisk highway speeds at stoich, 1500 is the max. I pretty much never look at the thing anymore. The WB tells me all I needs to know about mixture and I've tuned the timing well enough to keep the knock sensor happy. Plugs always look fine, even when I have had some pinging.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    Yeah, I've never had an EGT before I put one in the Daytona. I put it in #4 for convenience but I maybe should have put it in the collector. The WB has me at 11.5-12.0 at 21psi and I never see EGTs greater than about 1450. Even at brisk highway speeds at stoich, 1500 is the max. I pretty much never look at the thing anymore. The WB tells me all I needs to know about mixture and I've tuned the timing well enough to keep the knock sensor happy. Plugs always look fine, even when I have had some pinging.
    Yep, it's all about timing.

High EGTs can result from overly retarded cam or ignition, richness, or detonation - the first three do little for power but throw up the possibility of detonation and thereby can twist your tuning thinking upside down.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster

ok i will say it again my fuel at 11.5 ish and knock is not there dist timing is at 12 and cam is at 0 when i go to say 6 ATDC egts will still rise but slower

AS i asked i am just trying to see the results of others running this header

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mr overkill View Post
    dist timing is at 12 and cam is at 0 when i go to say 6 ATDC
    I'm confused by what your saying here, timing needs to be before TDC(BTDC). If you meant 6BTDC then thats retarding/lessening timing

so if you start at 12, I've read people going to 15-18(with a G head), which is adding 3-5 deg to what you have.

Hybrid booster

GRRRRRR

CAM TIMING IS 6 ADVANCED and DIST timing is at 12 BTDC

Anyway spoke to someone that deals with exhausts and he said because the pipe is stainless steel and it is thermal coated it will show hotter temps which is what i have