Thread: need super 60 wheels? maybe super 70 parts?

need super 60 wheels? maybe super 70 parts?

i have a real super 60 thats fine but needsnew wheels because they got a little chewed up, my turbo is dry and has no play i'm just looking to replace the wheels, but have no clue where to get them from. I was also toying with putting a super 70 compressor housing and wheel on this turbo. I'm looking for a little more than the super 60. wou

my setup
    89 turbo van 2.5 auto, 3 bar, +40%, stage 5 cal, ported tbi header, ported 52mm 2 piece intake, ported big valve g head, power stroke i/c, 88 tbi cam, adjustible sprocket, afpr, 3" swing valve, 3" exhaust, large can, 1g talon bov etc. trans has some upgrades as well, including a modified converter.

what is the differance between what some call super 60's and "real super 60's" and what is considered a super 50, and super 70. excuse my ignorance to turbo upgrades i know the t2 was an improvement to the mitsu, and the super 60 was even better than that, what are my options for the best time on the track, i still have my super 60 i can run on the street if something bigger isn't to streetable.

Re: need super 60 wheels? maybe super 70 parts?

I run a super 70 on my car and it is fine for regular driving on the street. I really don't notice much lag.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Which exhaust housing and wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanpilot View Post
    what is the differance between what some call super 60's and "real super 60's" and what is considered a super 50, and super 70. excuse my ignorance to turbo upgrades i know the t2 was an improvement to the mitsu, and the super 60 was even better than that, what are my options for the best time on the track, i still have my super 60 i can run on the street if something bigger isn't to streetable.
    There is what is called the "60 trim", which is a Garrett 60 trim wheel (34 lbs/min) in a stock T2 housing that's been machined to fit the bigger wheel. This is a decent upgrade from the stock turbo when still running more stock parts in the intake/head/exhaust department.

There is the true "Super 60" from Turbonetics (and MP) that is has a Turbonetics specific 60-trim wheel (35 lbs/min) and should also have their ported and polished cover if it is truely a Turbonetics Super 60. This turbo works better when you have more upgrades, like a ported head, intake, big IC, etc.

Then there is the "Super 70". There are two versions, but the one TU sells is the better one with a GN compressor wheel in a machined stock cover. There isn't much hard data on this turbo since it is running a customized wheel cover combo. It has a bigger inducer obviously and should be a bump up from the Super 60. This is the "biggest" turbo you can get as a pure Garrett T03 turbo with the exception of the FM Enforcer II turbo that stuffs a T04 wheel into an even more machined stock T03 housing.

The "Super 50" is actually the name of a Turbonetics Garrett-T04-style wheel which flows around 47 lbs/min. To run one of these you need to go to a "hybrid" turbo with a T03 center and exhaust section and a T04 wheel and cover. You then run into the various installation issues you have with a hybrid. There are ways to deal with these, though. You should know that Turbonetics has discontinued all the "Super" T04 style wheels.

The marketing terminology used by Turbonetics is (intentionally?) confusing. A Super 50 is "bigger" than a Super 60 in terms of flow.

turbo addict

Using my harbor freight caliper at the inducer, exducer are all the same at around 60.16mm

40.54mm = 45 trim (stock volvo Garrett Turbo)
    42.60mm = 50 trim (stock TI/TII Garrett Turbo)
    44.64mm = 55 trim (stock TIII Garrett Turbo)
    46.50mm = 60 trim (stock Ford Garrett Turbo)
    47.98mm = Turbonetics super 60 wheel

The super 70 has a larger exducer than the rest of the T3's though at 70mm, and the inducer is 50mm.
    I ran a S70 with .63 stage 1 turbine on a 300 WHP setup and it was a great turbo, however I've found that in the stock T2 cover it won't get you much more peak power output that a super 60. But IMO on a 2.5 and your setup I would run a hybrid 50 Trim To4e turbo with .63 stage 2 turbine.

You have to watch some people call the ford 60 trim a super 60.