Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lexan/ Plastic windows, how much weight is saved??

turbo addict

Lexan/ Plastic windows, how much weight is saved??

So i know people switch to a lexan window or similar product to save weight but i am wondering about how much weight is saved?

I see varying thicknesses and brands at my local home depot, and it seems cheap, is there a certain thickness i need? or is it just preference?

I am looking at swapping out the 4 rear windows in my van (just the ones on the sides not the rear) I think i could get an extra set of window fastener hardware so i could swap my glass back in for winter or road trips.

Any thoughts/ ideas/ experiences??

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Lexan/ Plastic windows, how much weight is saved??

IMO It doesnt save enough weight to really make it worth it unless its a dedicated race car. Savings on the two 1/4 windows might be 10-15lbs? Did you already remove air conditioning? take out the evap core from the heater box and you'll save about that much, LOL...

There are different kinda of plexi out there, Lexan is preffered as it is more durable. Lexan MR10 is what most people use as it is marr-resistant (MR) and you can get it in a couple light shades pre-tinted. You need at least 1/8" and it has to be screwed into the window frame with a screw/washer each ~3" around the perimeter.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

You can't just cut the Lexan to the shape of the glass and replace it? Crank lexan windows sounds nice in the summer...
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

Yes you can but for stationary windows it has to be bolted in. For full frame door windows it has to be curved so it goes in the channel correctly and for frameless doors (ala 2-dr l-body) it has to be supported by a window support frame so it is easier to make it non-functional

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    IMO It doesnt save enough weight to really make it worth it unless its a dedicated race car. Savings on the two 1/4 windows might be 10-15lbs? Did you already remove air conditioning? take out the evap core from the heater box and you'll save about that much, LOL...

There are different kinda of plexi out there, Lexan is preffered as it is more durable. Lexan MR10 is what most people use as it is marr-resistant (MR) and you can get it in a couple light shades pre-tinted. You need at least 1/8" and it has to be screwed into the window frame with a screw/washer each ~3" around the perimeter.
    So if i read you right 2 1/4 windows save 10 lbs, 4 van windows would save like 40 lbs!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesismachine View Post
    You can't just cut the Lexan to the shape of the glass and replace it? Crank lexan windows sounds nice in the summer...
    NO! Glass on the doors has curvature in 2 directions - reffered to as "barrel glass" becuase it's made in the shape of a barrel. Without the curvature, the window does not go up/ down properly. Now cars built before barrel glass was used (think 1950's and 60's) you can get away with flat sheets becuase that's what they are. Our TM's, forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    So if i read you right 2 1/4 windows save 10 lbs, 4 van windows would save like 40 lbs!
    I meant both rear van 1/4 windows...

Here's my math. A Daytona rear glass window is ~25lbs a piece of Lexan that size ~10lbs. That window is larger than 2 van 1/4 windows...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I meant both rear van 1/4 windows...

Here's my math. A Daytona rear glass window is ~25lbs a piece of Lexan that size ~10lbs. That window is larger than 2 van 1/4 windows...
    ok cool Thanks!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

how easily can lexan be molded. like temperatures and such and does it bugger up the characteristics and stuff.

since you are taking out the stock window, i would think it wouldnt be too hard to lay the lexan over super clean glass and bake it a little so it forms to the shape of the glass.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    how easily can lexan be molded. like temperatures and such and does it bugger up the characteristics and stuff.

since you are taking out the stock window, i would think it wouldnt be too hard to lay the lexan over super clean glass and bake it a little so it forms to the shape of the glass.

Brian
    Yep, with a heat gun, but hard to do without changing the finish or melting it.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

what about an oven?

i would think you could put it in there and slowly raise the heat until it just droops and then get it out of there.

im going to have a spare oven at some point (wife wants a new one eventually.... who knew she didnt like harvest gold colored stuff from the 70's lol) and then ill have one to do wierd projects/powdercoating in.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic

not sure what the temp range of the lexan is but ull deff want a large area of heat, like JT said a heat gun will do damage if not carful and u cant get a wide enough area of heat to contour the window....

also too, there alot of regulation on tracks as far as non DOT windows...lexan windows with a channel all the way around can still push in or out increasing the chances of injuries, if involved in a crash...

as far as the van does, sounds like this is a street driven vehicle and loosing the glass in the back of the vanisnt worth the hassle and the end results... (lexan windows just look like crap) theres has to be other place u can loose weight in that thing w/o disrupting the vans main intent....

boostaholic

Ok I looked it up. The 1/4 windows on a grand caravan are 18 lbs each in glass. So your savings are nil unless you go 1/8. The problem with 1/8 is its not strong. You also have to make sure you get UV resistand Lexan because Lexan by nature is not uv resistant but plexi is. If you dont do it, The lexan will discolor from the sun. Both lexan and plexi will scratch easy as well just from normal cleaning.
    You also have to keep in mind that ALL of the glass on that vehicle has a curve to it and the lexan wont match up right. I can make any lexan swpa you want with a curve but its not cheap. In fact if you wanted to buy a full sheet it will run $100 in 1/8 and over $150 in 1/4 my cost. Plexi is much cheaper but weaker. IMO from experience, Just stay with glass. The only time I suggest swapping to Lexan is on high horsepower race cars.

turbo addict

or low torque race cars

turbo addict

After watching the mythbusters drive cars into the water, I dont think I would run anything other then normal glass in front door glass on a car that givens driven on the street.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfromhell View Post
    after watching the mythbusters drive cars into the water, i dont think i would run anything other then normal glass in front door glass on a car that givens driven on the street.
    yes!!!! No lexan front windshields on the street, period!!!!!!

boostaholic

Yeah, Thats not even legal. Well its illegal to run any non DOT approved glass on the street anyway.

turbo addict

3/16" looks good, doesn't deform and look weird. Weight savings with 3/16" is exactly 50%.

Just put it in your non passenger windows. Its not really a safety thing at that point. Its illegal to do a lot of things, that doesn't mean the law is in your best interest.

For a van its a great idea. Be willing to replace it or buy some expensive treatment to help keep the windows nice. Cover or garage the van when you can.

There are a lot of negatives about lexan windows but the one thing they do is remove weight from the upper regions of your car, and its a LOT better modification then tube frame anything at the bottom of your car. Yes, van's don't do a lot of road racing but whatever
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 22shelby View Post
    yes!!!! No lexan front windshields on the street, period!!!!!!
    I think he means driver and passenger front windows, not the windshield.
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesismachine View Post
    I think he means driver and passenger front windows, not the windshield.
    Safety wise i think its actually worse to have lexan side windows then windshield, assuming you wear a seatbelt. If you don't wear a seat belt then safety is a silly discussion.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast