Thread: BOV release issues

Garrett booster

BOV release issues

ok, im running a type RS BOV (the knockoff type s bovs) and if i let the throttle off gently as opposed to dumping it, i get a bit of a chatter and then a little blowoff, as opposed to a blowoff. for example: im accelerating a bit at maybe 2 -5 psi, and i want to accelerate a little more slowly, so i take off abut half of the pressure i have on the throttle. the bov goes (tick tick tick pfffft) so its sounding like chatter before a slight relaease. any way to fix this? i've tried adjusting it to be far softer, and have the same issue. thanks

turbo addict

Re: BOV release issues

change your driving habits, mine is the same way. I either give it more gas then let off or barely let off(letting the vac come down slow)

Garrett booster

yea, i do that if i think about it. kind of a pain though, i like just being able to drive. but whatever, if ive gotta do it, ive gotta do it. i like the little blowoffs too, from like 2 psi i have a talon BOV too, i was thinking about running that one aswell? it easily releases under low bosst

boostaholic

did you shim it?? if so take the shims out of it and run the vac line off of the TB

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    did you shim it?? if so take the shims out of it and run the vac line off of the TB
    can you expand on this? i dont really know what you mean. im running a vac block, and the nipples on the TB are capped off. what youre saying i should do is run a vac line off of one of the nipples to the BOV? also, i don't know what shimming is. explanation if you would?

Garrett booster

this is what it looks like BTW if it helps

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    You cant shim the type s, I think your talking rfl?
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

boostaholic

your right jim thanks. anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by 89daytonacs View Post
    can you expand on this? i dont really know what you mean. im running a vac block, and the nipples on the TB are capped off. what youre saying i should do is run a vac line off of one of the nipples to the BOV? also, i don't know what shimming is. explanation if you would?
    yes try that. it worked on my bov. unhook it from the vac block uncap one of the nipples on the TB and run the line from the bov to the TB.

Garrett booster

alright, ill have to try that. ill post the results. thankis

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I had this problem with the Tial BOV on my Spirit R/T. When I bought it, it came with their '11 psi' spring, which was very strong. So I ordered the '7 psi' spring and it blows off much more easily now and I never hear the, "chk chk chk pshhhh" anymore. Maybe you could get a different spring for the RS; I dunno.

Have you tried adjusting the screw on top? Try backing it out and see if that helps. That should relieve some spring pressure.

turbo addict

I have had this problem on most of my stock turbo'd cars over the years...once I upgraded the turbo I never had the issue again.