Thread: Intercooler piping

boostaholic

Intercooler piping

What is the best way to figure out exactly what you need to run these? Im going to a front mount and have no Idea what to get. can someone point me in a direction?

Its for 89 shelby daytona. stock t2 rad/ic but going large aluminum radiator.
    \

Hybrid booster

Re: Intercooler piping

Just buy a piping kit from the vender on the forum:
    http://store.racing-solutions.org/

I bought a 2.5" stainless kit for the van and it worked great. It's nice only being 20 minutes away from these guys!Just figure where you want to mount you intercooler and then you can figure out how to route all the piping. The kit should supply everything that you need. If you need some ideas check out the fab section.

boostaholic

I have found thru experience that you buy everything you don't need first, then you get what works, it only cost twice as much as it should, have fun and good luck

It really depends on where you're routing your stuff. I have an FMIC for my Charger that has the inlet and outlet on the same side. What kind of IC are you getting, like what design are you going with or would like to get? There are some good designs that have the inlet/outlet on the same side as well as the standard ones.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

My I/C is not a singe sided one inlets on one side outlet on other. I thought about just buying it piece by piece and going that way but Im thinking with shipping and all that will kill me

turbo addict

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=623
    http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=624

That might give you some routing ideas. Basically what I do is go to the J-yard and find some intake to TB hoses off the 3.0 Chrysler cars. in 87-88 they're 2.5" all the way through with a flex section. In 89+ they neck down at the TB. I use the 89+ ends to attach to the turbo and the TB if you're running a 46mm TB still. And then cut the angles I need and connect with straight sections of 2.5" exhaust pipe.

This way you get the angles you need and the stuff is cheap incase you want to change it later. Now The rubber hose doesn't like the hot side very much. The one off the turbo lasted about a year and a half before it finally split. And the one at the I/C inlet lasted about 2 years. But they're still going strong on the cold side. But now that I had the angles I needed I had custom silicone hoses made for those 2 spots.

Nvr2old on Turbododge.com and i think he's here as turbospitfire or something can get you the one I use to come off the turbo. It's a really nice setup.

Good luck.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Its all about how much work you want to do. The IC's that have pipes on opposite sides are the better ones but take the most work to hook up. The easiest ones are where the inlet and outlet are on the same side.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Just buy a piping kit off Ebay. I don't reccomend their couplers as they are usually a 1 ply. Siliconeintakes.com sells 3 ply couplers. Use T-bolt clamps. Depending on the size of the intercooler, my fashion is too always use a slightly smaller diameter pipe on the hot side than the cold side in order to reduce heat expansion on the cold side but still utilize the velocity from the hot side. Aluminum disipates heat more effectively than any other material. Which also means it absorbs heat from the outside quicker. Stainless steel is a happy medium. If you do buy an aluminum Ebay kit I would make sure the pipe is atleast 3/16" thick. Any smaller and I find that once clamped down it becomes ovular.

I would draw out your setup the way you want it ran. Mark your coupling points and what degree turns you're going to need.

Garrett booster

i bought a piping kit off of ebay, it worked great, had enough to plumb mine (opposite side inlet/outlet), and run a temporary cold air intake that goes to the passenger side, and i still have a couple full pieces left. i can find the exact kit on ebay if you would like me to. heres what i did, to give you an idea

Hybrid booster

I run an srt4 intercooler in my Lebaron. It has the inlet/outlet on opposite sides, however I run all my pipes on the driver side, unlike most of the people on here. I have intercooler pipes and CAI on the same side, pretty simple.

I bought an Intercooler kit from ebay a while ago and it worked out pretty good for me, in fact I still have (3) 2 1/2" straight pipes.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 89daytonacs View Post
    i bought a piping kit off of ebay, it worked great, had enough to plumb mine (opposite side inlet/outlet), and run a temporary cold air intake that goes to the passenger side, and i still have a couple full pieces left. i can find the exact kit on ebay if you would like me to. heres what i did, to give you an idea
    That would be kewl. I found a stainless exhaust kit at jegs for 150 that has a bunch of stuff and I thought about getting it as one end of each is opened up to accept another pipe

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I got everything from www.atpturbo.com for my Omni. Their parts are very high quality. It was expensive, but years later I'm still very happy with it and it's never blown any hoses or couplers off yet and still looks new.

http://www.turbosedan.com/omni/DSC01198.JPG

Garrett booster

this is the same kit that i ordered

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...QQcmdZViewItem