Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LM Question

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

LM Question

This may be a dumb question but here it goes, I have a MP LM but one of the chips is fried. The 28 pin chip that is used for custom cal's is ok. So my question is, can you take that chip put it in a socketed LM and have a MP LM?

Thanks

Hybrid booster

Re: LM Question

Very good probability. But there are some questions that would still need to be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by mw6886 View Post
    Very good probability. But there are some questions that would still need to be answered.
    Ok, what are the questions to be asked?

Thanks

Bumping this back up, to see if anyone has any input on this

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Brendhan, while I haven't done it myself, I don't see an issue. As far as I know(pretty much nada), all they change is that chip and put a socket in. Please don't take my word, wait for someone knowledgeable.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

What year LM? In 87' all of the info you need to change the cal is on the top chip. for all other years it is on both from what I understand.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    What year LM? In 87' all of the info you need to change the cal is on the top chip. for all other years it is on both from what I understand.
    Not sure about what information is on that second chip but I believe the questions mw8668 is asking to be answered is why it got fried.

On that note, is your question can you take the chip out of the fried one and put it into another one that isn't fried and still have your custom LM? Yes. That's the only one that gets written to. I'd have to look at the other one but it's probably just a thingymabobber.... that burns up apparently.

Do you need a socketed one? I have one for 20 bucks. no chip but it's socketed and has a cool sticker on it!

The MP LM came from the original owner of my 86 GLH. I also have a socketed 87 LM.

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    The MP LM came from the original owner of my 86 GLH. I also have a socketed 87 LM.
    If you have an 86' MP LM it won't be a direct swap to the 87' LM with just the top chip. You would have to put both the upper and lower chips in from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    Not sure about what information is on that second chip but I believe the questions mw8668 is asking to be answered is why it got fried.

On that note, is your question can you take the chip out of the fried one and put it into another one that isn't fried and still have your custom LM? Yes. That's the only one that gets written to. I'd have to look at the other one but it's probably just a thingymabobber.... that burns up apparently.

Do you need a socketed one? I have one for 20 bucks. no chip but it's socketed and has a cool sticker on it!

I'm not sure why it was fried as I got it from the original owner like that

So all I need to do is unsolder the 28 pin chip from the MP LM and put it in my socketed LM.

Got any pics of your socketed LM?

If you have an 86' MP LM it won't be a direct swap to the 87' LM with just the top chip. You would have to put both the upper and lower chips in from what I understand.

I'm sorry but I'm a complete noob to this stuff, could you help me with the explanation of this (upper and lower)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm a complete noob to this stuff, could you help me with the explanation of this (upper and lower)?

Thanks

The chip that is circled in red in this pic is the one that would need to be removed and replaced by a chip with a custom cal on it for an 87' LM. For the earlier LMs both the one circled in red, and the one that is to the left of it contain information which needs to be changed from what I understand.

There is so little support for the pre 87' LMs that I have only read a little about them, but from my understanding both chips need to be replaced with chips that have had the bin modified for it to work properly.

Hybrid booster

What's on that second chip?

What's on that second chip?
    For the 87' cals I really don't know to much about what is on there. I know that 5 digits said that he was editing it a little to "fix" a couple things in there, but other than that I really don't know.

Hybrid booster

Does that mean they all have that "fix" or that he fixes something in there? 840 might not need to worry about swapping the chip to another LM.

Does that mean they all have that "fix" or that he fixes something in there? 840 might not need to worry about swapping the chip to another LM.
    That was just something that he did when making his own cals. I am unaware of anyone else having done this, and for most of our needs it really isn't necessary. I am probably not the only one who heard of that for the first time after the SDAC tech session this year.

Hybrid booster

Nope, you're the only one! I know everyone and they said they already know!!

LMK when/if you find out what's on that second chip. I'll add it to my mental data base cuz I am into self torture and swapping out to SBEC's into L bodies and cutting and splicing in the dark!!

I'm always the last to know.

If I learn of anything I will let you know.

Hybrid booster

I'm always the last to know.

If I learn of anything I will let you know.
    And if I learn of anyone knowing anything I'll let YOU know....
    See you at your other boosting post.

So 840, what's the resolution? Did you get another LM and see if it worked with your cal? Did you figure out why is spontaniously combusted?

So 840, what's the resolution? Did you get another LM and see if it worked with your cal? Did you figure out why is spontaniously combusted?
    Not really sure what to do, I already have socketed LM and the fried LM. Just not sure if it would be safe to try.

I wish I knew what cause the MP LM to fry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast