Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: were to get a 005 hg

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: were to get a 005 hg

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    The Z used the 006 w/o issue at 24psi with studs but at 30psi it lifted the head with studs or bolts (yes I tried both). No HG leaking issues at 30psi with the Cometic and studs until the rod came out.

The Shadow has a 006 that was slip & slid in the hotel parking lot during the Mopar Nats about 5 years ago when the Flepro gasket that came on the motor finally failed. The exhaust and oil return were still connected so the head could not be lifted very high. Paul Fosen was on one side of the head, Karl Morgan on the other side of the head lifting it up as high as it could, I was able to wipe off maybe half of the head/block surface with the cleanest of the dirty rags we had available before sliding in the 006. several beers and a fresh set of MP bolts later and it was all done. First pass off the trailer the next day was a 13.01 @ 105mph... HG is still on the car, has seen 27psi a few times *knock on wood*

^^^^^^^^^Thats awesome,

But are your 006 cars street driven at all?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

The Z was all the time before I put the fuel cell in it. I now have a larger fuel cell that I need to put in it so it gets more street action this year.

The Shadow is street driven all the time on nice days, heck it was my DD rain or shine for most of last summer cuz I didnt want to put a rack in the Dak, LOL!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Yeah my slip in slide worked out pretty well with the 88 yorker I fixed as well. Its still going from what I hear. I should have taken some pictures of that gasket. It actually drove itself in the garage with 2 gaping holes in it and coolant literally coming out the tail pipe. I told the guy he needed to get a new O2 first thing. I hope he did. The car is probably dead too. I was impressed with how peppy the little mitsu was. More on topic.. JT do you have any 005's lying around or do you think the dealer if they have some will exchange one for an 006?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

You can turn an 006 into an 005 by lining the old one up over the 006 and SLOWLY drilling out the missing water jacket holes. Do it while the new gasket is still in the package to keep it clean and deburr the holes if they need it. The extra cross drill holes will just be blocked by the early block and not do any harm.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Yeah my slip in slide worked out pretty well with the 88 yorker I fixed as well. Its still going from what I hear. I should have taken some pictures of that gasket. It actually drove itself in the garage with 2 gaping holes in it and coolant literally coming out the tail pipe. I told the guy he needed to get a new O2 first thing. I hope he did. The car is probably dead too. I was impressed with how peppy the little mitsu was. More on topic.. JT do you have any 005's lying around or do you think the dealer if they have some will exchange one for an 006?
    I only keep a spare 006 cuz all my 8v stuff is x-drilled.

+1 to drilling it like Russ said

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

I purchased a 006 last month from the dealer with no problem, and a 005 about three month ago, also from the dealer. There seems to be a good supply of MP HG's out there.

Mitsu booster

yeh the guys r just a little off here i went in and found it myself in the mopar book. i got it in today. they had never even herd of a glh. lol anyways can i get the torque specs for the head guys. thanks got the head pulled today it was ez the gasket gave out between #3 and #2. thanks for all your guys input ahd help.

turbo addict

Its funny you point that out Russ. I used your very site as a resource when I pulled the head. Its kinda cool how the head bolt pattern for removal and install follows a swirl. I makes it pretty much a no brainer which order once you've done it several times. I don't do it enough to remember though.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Its funny you point that out Russ. I used your very site as a resource when I pulled the head. Its kinda cool how the head bolt pattern for removal and install follows a swirl. I makes it pretty much a no brainer which order once you've done it several times. I don't do it enough to remember though.
    Its a swirl pattern because as you tighten the head, it wants to push out, so if you do the ends firsts, it will bow the head and block, like when laying decals, you start from the center and work out, if you start from the ends and work in, the center bunches up,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I figured it had to do with some basic physics. Good explanation Simon. I've just been so used to reading a series of numbers its been a while since I stepped back and examined what the order meant and why.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Yep the tightening sequence on most hings is just as Simon mentioned, for the reasons he mentioned.

On 11mm head bolts it's torque them all to 45 then 65, then 65 again then another 1/4 turn.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

I used to run an 006 gasket on my old setup in my daytona, with right on 300 WHP and running 25 PSI boost. Never had a problem even with Mopar bolts re-used 3 times.
    Was told by Chris at TU that the 005 was better even for cross drills so I've been using that one since. Bought one at the dealer a couple months ago, no issues if you give the part number.
    But you can always order from Turbo's Unleashed if your local dealer is putting the screw to you.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

bringing this thread back from the dead.

i found 2 006 headgaskets (new number replacement) and bought them the other day.

do you all know whats in the layers of the gasket that the drill would need to do through?

fibrous material?

metal?

i was thinking of taking my belt hole punch and punching out the extra holes that the 005 gasket would have. it punches good holes through leather and rubber and cardboard.

i bet at the very least, it would pinch down the gasket enough that i could send a drill through the middle of the punch and not distort the gasket as much.

any thoughts?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

I modified a 006 to make a gasket for a 16 valve TIII
    Very easy to drill and dremel to do what you want.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Get this....

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piec...set-95547.html

Punches super clean holes. I got Jackson using this now too.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Or just buy a 9296PT FelPro and forget about it
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Or just buy a 9296PT FelPro and forget about it
    Exactly. With the mopar gasket stock depletion and getting very difficult to find, it's pretty good timing that felpro fixed their design and it's just as cheap as the mopar gaskets used to be.

turbo addict

I prefer if felpro went back to supplying the print-a-seal gasket for 2.2's

20 years ago it was the best "stock" replacement you could find and I used them exclusively

sadly I haven't seen one in 20 years now

always hated the mopar rots when wet gasket ...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I prefer if felpro went back to supplying the print-a-seal gasket for 2.2's
    This?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast