Thread: Heater core replacement, remove dash??

Heater core replacement, remove dash??

Need to replace a heater core in a 92 Daytona w/ AC. Am I better off removing the dash or doing it without taking the entire dash out? I've taken out dashes before, not like I'm scared of doing it, but not sure if it's worth it or not. Who's done a heater core in a 3rd gen Daytona?

Garrett booster

Re: Heater core replacement, remove dash??

I haven't done a Daytona but it's probably like the other Dodges. Yes the steering column needs dropped down and the dash pulled out of the way.

Garrett booster

Did one in a 90 j-body and had to take out the whole dash.
    Former: 1989 Daytona Shelby 1990 Lebaron GTC Current: 2007 VW Passat Wagon 2.0t "I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." -Mitch Hedberg

I yanked the whole thing out of my '86 with a '91 dash without removing the dash, but it was tight. The hardest part is clearing the bottom part of the center console on the passenger side. The heater/AC unit sort of hangs up there.

I did the same for my '87 CSX and it was much easier. The box dropped right out after unbolting the passenger side of the dash.

Sounds like I'll be pulling the dash then. Oh well, good opportunity to clean out the heater box/ducts anyway.