Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil free airbox, PCV system works like it should. No OIL catch can used. *PICS*

turbo addict

Oil free airbox, PCV system works like it should. No OIL catch can used. *PICS*

Old air filter used with the turbo valve cover, stock turbo PCV system is used. 2000miles or so. This filter been outside the car a while and put next to grease parts but you can see where the filter is soaked with oil.

Old air filter used with the TBI valve cover and oil splash guard, 1500miles or so. NO oil catch can is used!!! One nipple for the PCV and one for the fresh air let that connects to the airbox.

Oil free air TII box. Don't mind the debris, that's why the air filter is there!

Under the hood pictures.

TBI valve cover and its oil splash guard is great mod to prevent oil all over the valve cover, air box, engine bay, and on top of the transmission. Don't even need a oil catch can.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Oil free airbox, PCV system works like it should. No OIL catch can used. *PICS*

They do work great but the only thing I don't like is they lack the "TURBO" writing, I'm vain like that,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Re: Oil free airbox, PCV system works like it should. No OIL catch can used. *PICS*

don't feel bad, alot of us are.

I had this setup recommended to me some 8yrs ago. But I felt I couldn't be without my "turbo".

later

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    They do work great but the only thing I don't like is they lack the "TURBO" writing, I'm vain like that,
    Last edited by inmyshadow; 03-31-2008 at 06:42 AM.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

you can mod the oil splash gard to fit under the turbo valve cover. it worked for me.

turbo addict

I forgot to say, the first filter was used with the TBI oil spash guard and a turbo valve cover. I removed the baffle inside the valve cover and plugged the holes.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

What are you doing with the other nipple, the passenger side one, that is on the NA VC but not on the T VC?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

very interesting guys! Good info here!

Another question, isn't there a cast TBI VC and a stamped TBI VC? Is there any difference between all these splash guards and the covers?
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

turbo addict

yep cast TBI covers were a recall item then stock because supposedly the stamped ones would leak.

turbo addict

I can live without the TURBO writing. But they have to say "SHELBY"

".........I removed the baffle inside the valve cover and plugged the holes......."

i read all your info and i still do not understand what you did.

r-u saying you took a non-turbo valve cover, which came with an interior air/oil seperator ("baffle"), and just removed the baffle? couldnt one do the same with a turbo v/c?

and when you say "plugged the holes" what holes are you refering to?

it would be informative to have a side-by-side pix of ther inside of a TBI v/c and a turbo v/c for comparision for folks like me who have no idea what you are describing. but you got me interested!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post

Another question, isn't there a cast TBI VC and a stamped TBI VC? Is there any difference between all these splash guards and the covers?
    TBI's came out with metal/stamped tin valve covers that use a cork side gasket with rubber ends and they leak. They say now to use RTV on the sides and still use the rubber end caps and they will still leak. They use a metal curtain or shield underneath the valve cover to stop oil getting whipped up by the cam and throwing it into the breather ports. Dodge came out with a cast aluminium cover with a one piece seal to eliminate the oil leaks. The TBI's are good as there is 2 nipples, so you can run a breather on one and the pcv on the other, eliminating oiling of the air box.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    yep cast TBI covers were a recall item then stock because supposedly the stamped ones would leak.
    Supposedly? They do leak, like a friggin seive, lol. TBI's cars are mostly rust free due to this,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

if you want a breather port you could just run a breather oil cap
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Hybrid booster

They do leak, like a friggin seive, lol. TBI's cars are mostly rust free due to this
    Now, that is hilarious!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    What are you doing with the other nipple, the passenger side one, that is on the NA VC but not on the T VC?
    That one is going to the PCV valve then to the intake manifold for vacuum source.

Yes, there are two version of TBI valve cover. One cast aluminum and the other stamped steel. The aluminum on is just like the turbo one, 1 piece gasket and without the words. The stamped one uses multiple gaskets and requires shorter bolts to bolt onto the head. The one I have now is the stamped one, no leaks issue so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    ".........I removed the baffle inside the valve cover and plugged the holes......."

i read all your info and i still do not understand what you did.

r-u saying you took a non-turbo valve cover, which came with an interior air/oil seperator ("baffle"), and just removed the baffle? couldnt one do the same with a turbo v/c?

and when you say "plugged the holes" what holes are you refering to?

it would be informative to have a side-by-side pix of ther inside of a TBI v/c and a turbo v/c for comparision for folks like me who have no idea what you are describing. but you got me interested!
    Take a look of these pictures first.

oil splash guard

TBI stamped valve cover

Turbo valve cover

First attempt to eliminate oil mess was to remove the baffle inside the turbo valve cover, and plug the bolt holes that bolts the baffle to the turbo valve cover. Then use a TBI oil splash guard underneath the turbo valve cover. Work better than stock, but not that much better.

Second attempt was to get rid of the turbo valve cover completely and use the TBI valve cover with the oil splash guard. Works MUCH better as you can see.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

how does the splash guard/shield attach? Looks like it bolts to the head?
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

"Originally Posted by johnl
    What are you doing with the other nipple, the passenger side one, that is on the NA VC but not on the T VC? "

"That one is going to the PCV valve then to the intake manifold for vacuum source."

OK, the pcv valve is connected to the passenger side VC port and to the IM, and you are not using the stock pcv rubber tee, just a pcv between the VC and IM, right?

And, so I understand, the driver's side port is connected directly to the air box? without a catch can or a second pcv, right?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

how does the splash guard/shield attach? Looks like it bolts to the head?
    The TBI oil splash guard just drop in the cylinder head, nothing is attached to it. From the factory, there are two rubber stop on top of the splash guard so the valve cover can hold it down, but those rubber are old and will break into piece if you even touch them. I don't have the the rubber stops on top of mine and I don't have any problems nor noise. I thought about using RTV and make some kind of bushings on top of the oil splash guard, but on second thought, if the RTV fell off, that won't be good for the oil system.

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    "Originally Posted by johnl
    What are you doing with the other nipple, the passenger side one, that is on the NA VC but not on the T VC? "

"That one is going to the PCV valve then to the intake manifold for vacuum source."

OK, the pcv valve is connected to the passenger side VC port and to the IM, and you are not using the stock pcv rubber tee, just a pcv between the VC and IM, right?

And, so I understand, the driver's side port is connected directly to the air box? without a catch can or a second pcv, right?
    Yup, exactly. You got it.

turbo addict

i completely agree with you Simon, Could i drill and tap a factory turbo valve cover to do the same thing as the na one?

-Jack

TRYINGBE thanks! now i can see exactly what your modification does. great pix and good work on the mod.

in a nutshell you are eliminating the factory rubber "T" fitting that would go on a turbo engine's v/c PCV nipple and substituting (2) nipples seen on the TBI to perform the same function as the "T".............your biggest change seems to be the addition of the big sheet metal baffle found on the TBI engines.

the TBI sheet metal baffle is more of a splash guard; the turbo's equivalent is actually an air/oil seperator by design.....i bet the factory went this way w/ the turbo engines because the engineers recognized that under positive manifold pressure the crankcase vent air would tend to pull too much oil upwards.....the air/oil seperator is suppose to strip the oil out of the air which seems to work fine at low boost but not so good the way a lot of our engines are now modified to boost. they must've figured the TBI baffle would not work as well under boost. or was there another reason maybe????

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Very good setup! I was actually talking to Boyd about his setup and I believe he did something similar to help with oil drain back. I think he made his own splash sheild and drilled and tapped the rear of his turbo vc so it had a second vent. I wish I would have taken some better pictures, but he said it worked great.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast