Thread: Oil Feed line not threading

Mitsu booster

Oil Feed line not threading

Hey all,

Getting very close to having my engine 100% back together after 2 years apart. I was in the process of mounting up the Turbo last night and found that I couldn't get my oil feed line to thread into the cartridge of my turbo more than a few threads.

I took out a thread pitch gauge and found that my braided line had a fitting with -24 threads and the centre section had -27/8 threads.

This is a little perplexing as I could have sworn that this line threaded in fine when I took it apart heh, so I'm just looking for the stupid thing that I must be overlooking here.

anyone have any insight as to why my line won't thread in properly?
    Thanks!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Oil Feed line not threading

If it is a Garrett, or T-netics turbo, the turbo oil inlet will be 1/8th NPT. If you already have the turbo on the head with everything in the car, I hope it is a TI log car, otherwise it will take a lot of patience, but it can be done.

Hybrid booster

I agree with cordes, 1/8 npt for all stock dodge turbos. If its not stock, check with the manufacturer.

Mitsu booster

Fortunately the engine is still out of the car, so getting the turbo on/off is very simple.

The lines that I'm using are the TU package that I bought a few years back, so I would have expected it to bolt up just fine to the garret T3 cartridge, but it's definitely not the right threading. So I guess I'll just have to find an adapter then to go from whatever the line is to the 1/8 NPT? still seems pretty odd

turbo addict

are you sure you are hooking it up correctly?

the 45* adapter goes on the distribution block and 90 into the cartridge...there is a 1/8 NPT to -4 JIC/AN (37* flare) that goes into the -4 90*. If the 1/8 end isn't going in, the threads are messed up, or you don't have a stock cartridge.

BTW, there may not be enough room to find an adapter from what ever you have to the NPT, so you have have to get a specialty adapter, because if the thread is indeed not 1/8 NPT, it is likely metric.

Mitsu booster

yeah, I have that exact line, and the cartridge isn't stock, but it Is a standard Garret T3 of that I'm certain. The really interesting thing is I tried the 90* end in my stock turbo cartridge and it didn't fit in there either.

I checked the threads on both and they are clean so I'm definitely perplexed.

turbo addict

Go get a cheapo 1/8" close nipple from the hardware store and see if it matches your JIC to NPT adapter.