Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel cut?? S5 calibration

turbo addict

Re: Fuel cut?? S5 calibration

Good point. Even if it were in the wiring it would do it in all gears especially. 4th gear tends to point in the direction where its when the engines at its greatest load. I might even test the alternator at this point and if an oscilloscope was available check the spark curve per cylinder.. Something is screwy somewhere. I remember having an 86 bronco with the EFI 351 and it did something similar and turned out to be the TPS.. man that was a biotch to find until we hooked the TPS to a scope and saw the glitch right away..
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hybrid booster

51 Oxygen sensor Engine running/closed loop 84 rich/lean more than 2 min/85-88 lean more than 12 min

That's the O2 sensor code I am throwing. I think my o2 sensor is sooted up and not reading at all.

I tried to get it out the other day but failed due to it being locked in there tight as hell and having absolutely no room to work with since the o2 sensor is in a horrible spot back there.

So I don't know what I'm going to do.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Well the ox code is really irrelevant as at WOT or in boost, the computer ignores it so that won't be it. It CAN cause issues at part throttle but this doesn't seem to be the case. You can just disconnect it and see what happens.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Lean too long is often a fouled O2 sensor and it can make the engine run very rich. Could also be shorted to ground. Disconnecting it should eventually give you a code 21. Cindy will likely ask you to fix any sensor issues before sending the cal back.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Well the ox code is really irrelevant as at WOT or in boost, the computer ignores it so that won't be it. It CAN cause issues at part throttle but this doesn't seem to be the case. You can just disconnect it and see what happens.
    Not true. The ECU doesn't read it at WOT, but it's already throwing the code making it run in limp mode which will make it cut.

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Not true. The ECU doesn't read it at WOT, but it's already throwing the code making it run in limp mode which will make it cut.
    Possibly but that won't explain why it does it in one gear. If the computer is in limp mode, it will do it in all gears as the computer has no idea what gear your in.

It could be a speed limiter that didn't get removed!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I already expained that. The ECU has several parameters to do things if it has a bad sensor. Example is if you have a bad MAP sensor you are limited to 2000 RPM. It's cutting at stock 2 bar specs because thats what it's set to cut with a bad MAP at that point. 4th gear has the most load on the engine since he hasn't tried 5th, so it's gonna create slightly more boost which may be just enough to hit cutout.
    My advice is to fix the O2, and then turn the boost up 1-2 PSI and see if it still does it.
    I do not see how it could be the speed sensor at all. My daytona had a bad speed sensor the entire 4 years I had it.

Edit- OK I see you said limiter. 4th gear at 5000 RPM isn't even 100 MPH I don't think, never seen a limiter that low in fact neither of my cars ever had a limiter that I am aware of.

I do not see how it could be the speed sensor at all. My daytona had a bad speed sensor the entire 4 years I had it.

Edit- OK I see you said limiter. 4th gear at 5000 RPM isn't even 100 MPH I don't think, never seen a limiter that low in fact neither of my cars ever had a limiter that I am aware of.
    I agree on the speed sensor, I've seen it cause idle issues but not driveability issues but I think I read on older cars, IE 86/87ish, it can cause cutou?

True but maybe someone had fat fingers that day and hit the wrong limits for the speed cutout,

Hybrid booster

5k rpm in 4th gear is around 90 mph. It's not a speed limiter though. Because after it hits that cutout I can keep driving. I've had the car up to 100+ mph with this setup just not going full throttle / full boost. So it's not a speed limiter related issue.

I'll try to get that o2 sensor changed again. I don't know if i'm going to be able to get it out though due to how stuck in there it is and the limited work space. I'm pretty sure the o2 sensor socket actually spun on the o2 sensor a bit and rounded the nut part it grabs onto some. So that may be a problem lol.

Wouldn't unhooking the o2 sensor make it just revert to normal fuel curves/ratios and not try to edit them at all? Or will it make it run super lean and throw a code??

I suppose it could be possible. Here's an idea then. Get up to speed on the highway, go to about 4000 RPM in 4th and shift into 5th. Now that you have lower RPM's it may not be making as much boost at the same speed you would hit 5000 RPM in 4th.
    I still say fix the O2 sensor and turn up the boost 1-2 pounds.

To get the old one out you may need some heat. Honestly, you usually end up trashing them because the special O2 sensor socket is not very strong. I usually end up snipping the wires and using a regular socket with a 1/2'' air impact. I have access to a stubby 1/2'' impact so it fits, if you don't you may need to unbolt the power steering and just move it over a little out of the way. Again, you may just want to get a new sensor, take a hammer to the O2 sensor and knock off the body of it. This way just the ''nut'' of the O2 sensor is left and you can use a short socket on it (non deepwell) for better clearance. Anything you would use the ''clean'' the O2 sensor will probably damage it, and more than likely it's bad anyway because if you can't get it out it may be the original. Just better to get a new one.

Unhooking the O2 it will run like complete crap and SUPER rich.
    The O2 sensor socket flexes and gives. Break the O2 sensor, use a normal 6 point socket, heat it up if you have too, and get yourself a new sensor.
    If you don't have a torch to heat it, let the car run for awhile but be careful not to burn your arm on the downpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post

I'll try to get that o2 sensor changed again. I don't know if i'm going to be able to get it out though due to how stuck in there it is and the limited work space. I'm pretty sure the o2 sensor socket actually spun on the o2 sensor a bit and rounded the nut part it grabs onto some. So that may be a problem lol.

Wouldn't unhooking the o2 sensor make it just revert to normal fuel curves/ratios and not try to edit them at all? Or will it make it run super lean and throw a code??
    Most likely as stated, you need heat, then you need a tap to clean up the threads as they will be trashed.

Disconect the ox and clear out the memory, it will be fine.

Unhooking the O2 it will run like complete crap and SUPER rich.
    Nope, the computer goes to limp and substitutes a value and ignores it.

After doing a head swap on my shadow I forgot to hook back up the O2. It ran SO bad and SO rich that it was blowing black out the exhaust pipe. This helped me pinpoint the problem as I had no idea why. I only got a mile up the road and I pulled over it was so bad, and didn't have anything with me to tell me what the codes were. Thats how BAD it ran. Hooked up the O2, disconnected the battery and let the ECU reset, hooked that back up, ahh back to normal ran great.

Hybrid booster

I actually already have a brand new mopar o2 sensor that I was planning on putting in but didn't have a chance to do yet. I was actually planning on just breaking it and using a regular socket since I was having no luck with the o2 sensor socket. I'll try getting the new o2 sensor in. Also... I noticed if I short shift 4th gear at like 4500-5000 (it cuts at 5000-5500). It wouldn't do it. But I never made it to the top of 5th to see if it did it there.

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

I hit 6500 rpms with the STG5 w/o any problems. 3bar map is on the car.

Turn up the boost 1-2 psi and see if it does it in second or third gear.

Hybrid booster

Ok well I turned the boost up and gave it a pull in 2nd and 3rd (turned it all the way up to 20 lbs on accident lol). No fuel cut like I'm experiencing in 4th. I took 3rd all the way to about 5000-5500 rpm so it shoulda done it by then if it was going to.

Maybe I missed it, but does your tach drop when the cutout happens?

After doing a head swap on my shadow I forgot to hook back up the O2. It ran SO bad and SO rich that it was blowing black out the exhaust pipe. This helped me pinpoint the problem as I had no idea why. I only got a mile up the road and I pulled over it was so bad, and didn't have anything with me to tell me what the codes were. Thats how BAD it ran. Hooked up the O2, disconnected the battery and let the ECU reset, hooked that back up, ahh back to normal ran great.
    That shouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    Ok well I turned the boost up and gave it a pull in 2nd and 3rd (turned it all the way up to 20 lbs on accident lol). No fuel cut like I'm experiencing in 4th. I took 3rd all the way to about 5000-5500 rpm so it shoulda done it by then if it was going to.
    Wow, than this is very weird.
    First, fix your O2, it needs fixed anyway.
    Check something for me though, check to see if your alternator connections have plenty of clearance. Heard of something once that the guys alternator connection rubbed up against the radiator causing a ground issue and it acted like a cutout. Perhaps it takes 4th gear to torque your engine enough to hit it? I dunno, just a thought though, something to check.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast