Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: solid motor mounts

Mitsu booster

solid motor mounts

has anyone ran solid motor mounts?was there a bunch of vibrations?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: solid motor mounts

No but there would be serious vibrations and you'd have to build custom motor mount brackets to stop them from tearing apart. Why go solid? the PB and MP units work just fine,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I've run solid motor mounts for years w/o issue. With a welded front (radiator support) and stock or MP rubber side mounts and stock trans shock, the vibration is not much worse than stock.

If you care a lot about vibration, keep everything stock

If you care a lot about vibration, but will sacrifice a little because you want to reduce the motor from moving around during launches, use one of Johnny's PolyBushing front mount inserts and leave the sides rubber. This will eliminate maybe 60-80% of motor movement?

If you want to make the motor not move at all during launches, weld up the front mount and use MP passender side mount, this will eliminate 95%-100% of motor movement... to get 100% in a stick car you should also replace the rear trans dogbone/shock with a solid member.

If you plan to roadrace and/or AutoX then the passenger and drivers side want to be polyurethane too.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

I replace the bobble strut with a cheap $10 semi solid (i.e. poly at one end metal to metal on the other) setup, Put in an MP side mount and Johnny's PB front mount with the hole filled and drilled in the right location. That's for a 5spd. My auto has an MP front, PB side and a new tranny mount with a block of wood in the gap to keep it from sagging.

Mitsu booster

a little vibs is ok.my plan was to weld up all mounts besides tranny mount should i not do passanger side?i just like the solid feel of solid mounts.

Mitsu booster

glhnslht2 what do u mean by drilled in right spot?

Quote Originally Posted by jrye68 View Post
    a little vibs is ok.my plan was to weld up all mounts besides tranny mount should i not do passanger side?i just like the solid feel of solid mounts.
    Welding up all will vibrate like hell. Only need to weld the front one that goes to the radiator core support. Leaving the sides rubber will damp a lot of the vibrations still. The side ones only need to be stiffer for race car cornering performance.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

thanks

Here are a couple pics...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Mitsu booster

that was the way i was thinking to do it.im glad i asked cause i was about to weld them up last nite and i would have done all of them.how long should i make my bobble strut?it was always bottomed out when a stand still so should i make it that length or should i preload it a bit

For the front, it shows in the pics but after you press out the square steel/ rubber insert on the stock mount, take the tube out of it (or make one the sam eside) and put it in in the middle of the square.

Put this mount in and you probably wont need to change the rear strut. I guess what I am saying is that I would try it forst before touching the rear.

What kinda trans mount? L body or A525 with the dogbone or A525/A555/A568 with the shock? Either way try it first.

If you want to change the rear, a threaded rod is the best so you can change the angle the engine sits at to improve axle angle. Sperical rod end on the bottom and threaded rod thru the hole on the newer style transaxles.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Mitsu booster

i got a a555 in a daytona.i went a got some 3/4"thick thread all and i was going to cut the bottom of strut off and weld thread all to that then weld the top of strut rod to another piece of thread all and connect them together with a 6" adj. nut

Mitsu booster

nice car by the way,what rims are those?

I would definitely try the front only first unless you plan to drag race a ton on slicks.

Thanks, Daytona's Rule! The wheels in my sig pic are stock SRT-4 wheels. I run the slicks/skinnies on Bogarts

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

obviously not a daily driver. JT have you started to crack the kframe tab off yet? I've got a kmember where I was running my semi solid setup that started to crack the tab off. I daily drive my 5spd and drive the snot out of it. I tried adding Johnny's PB side mount and the mirror would buzz so bad at idle and freeway speeds you couldn't see behind you.

With the front mounts, the hole is supposed to be offset and the motor is supposed to sit at a 13 degree angle. If you center the hole you make the motor rock back which hurts axle alignment, and oil drain back. The Imsa teams rocked the motor fwd from 13 to 6 degrees. This also helps the roll center for handling too.

turbo addict

Just to remind you, I also have a "HARD" poly front mount that is as good as solid. I made them for guys that want to race with no engine flex.

Johnny
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    obviously not a daily driver. JT have you started to crack the kframe tab off yet? I've got a kmember where I was running my semi solid setup that started to crack the tab off.
    I would think that with the solid front mount there would not be as much pressure on the Tab on the k-frame.

turbo addict

Maybe, i had a PB bushing in the front which is pretty firm though.

turbo addict

JT I like the SRT4 rims but I like the bogarts better

obviously not a daily driver. JT have you started to crack the kframe tab off yet? I've got a kmember where I was running my semi solid setup that started to crack the tab off. I daily drive my 5spd and drive the snot out of it. I tried adding Johnny's PB side mount and the mirror would buzz so bad at idle and freeway speeds you couldn't see behind you.

With the front mounts, the hole is supposed to be offset and the motor is supposed to sit at a 13 degree angle. If you center the hole you make the motor rock back which hurts axle alignment, and oil drain back. The Imsa teams rocked the motor fwd from 13 to 6 degrees. This also helps the roll center for handling too.
    I have daily driven solid front mounts in various cars for over 10 years w/o issue. The Z is the only one where I have a the solid rear too. No damage to the K frame or radiator core support. Keeping it rigid is less impact from momemtum on launch when the motor slams around until the soft stock mounts go solid. Kind of like loosening a bolt using a wrench snugged up before you pull on it (solid mount) vs. an impact gun (stock mount).

I made a solid passenger side mount and it channelled vibrations like hell so I put the MP one back in. I dont road race or AutoX so I did not see any benefit.

I thought the IMSA cars moved the motor forward not only to lower the CG but also for more manifold clearance too? My 2.4L is rotated forward for the later reason.

JT I like the SRT4 rims but I like the bogarts better
    Thanks, and I agree, just wish the Bogarts were streetable

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast