Thread: Failing headlights

turbo addict

Failing headlights

A while back the head lights were going out on my 90 CS/VNT Shadow. I replaced the headlight switch. Everything has been fine until last night when they went out again. Worked the dimmer switch, nothing, pulled the headlight switch in and out a couple of times, they came back on and no more problems for the rest of the way home. But this problem has got me worried. I'm considering mounting some driving lights on the car for at least until I get the headlight problem solved. It's scairy when they go out on DARK country roads. Anyone else ever had this problem? If so, what was done to cure the problem?

turbo addict

Re: Failing headlights

maybe check/swap the pull switch?

make sure the plug/wiring is ok, they like to melt. Also look over your grounds for your headlights. If it was me I would put relays in the healdight wiring, upgrade the grounds, get some new lamps with better bulbs, you will see much better after that.

also if you get a pn CAJM8190 it has an extra spade on the switch for a ground and relay pack to take some load off the switch, it has a new switch, wiring plug, wiring, and has a relay pack in the wiring in the package. (like $120 though). It was a recall for Ram trucks.

turbo addict

+1 on adding relays to the headlights, it's quite simple and the light output afterwards is amazing. Probe the back of the headlights to see how much voltage you're getting to the headlights. My shelbyZ with what looked like decent wiring was only getting 9volts to the headlights. With relays they're getting a full 13.5ish! i just took apart the factory plug and plugged them into the relays to activate them. Ran good wiring from the battery to the relays and from there to the headlights and a ground from the headlights back to the battery.

turbo addict

Did you guys find a relay that has dual 87 terminals, or just use 2 relays, or?

turbo addict

I used one relay for high and one for low beams. Then just crammed and soldered two wires into 1 female connector and put it on the relay like Hella does with their driving light kits.

turbo addict

I'm looking at doing some kind of rewiring for sure. They just went off again tonight!!! The pull switch has already been replaced. I'm going to replace it again along with checking the wiring/plug etc. It acts like a main power feed issue, because when they go out, pulling back on the dimmer switch doesn't make the lights burn like that normally does. The lights go 100% out. I may end up running a new power feed wire.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

I've just developed a similar problem with my '89 CSX! With mine, I think it's probably the switch. The parking lights work, and the brights still come on when you pull the stalk. Does that sound like the switch?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by CSX321 View Post
    I've just developed a similar problem with my '89 CSX! With mine, I think it's probably the switch. The parking lights work, and the brights still come on when you pull the stalk. Does that sound like the switch?

That's what it sounds like to me. I replaced my switch again as well, cleaned the connections on the plug, applied dielectric grease to everything, and installed some aux. driving lights. So far so good!!

I picked up a new switch; I hope it's the right one. It doesn't have the stem (or knob, obviously). Any tips on how the old one comes out and apart, and how to move the stem to the new one?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by CSX321 View Post
    I picked up a new switch; I hope it's the right one. It doesn't have the stem (or knob, obviously). Any tips on how the old one comes out and apart, and how to move the stem to the new one?

The front plate is held on with a round retainer. There is a spring loaded button on the bottom of the switch. Mash and hold that button and you should be able to pull the stem out.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

When he said MASH the button he meant it. You will have an indent in your finger when done. The stem takes a good tug, but will come out
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

It doesn't look like the problem is in the main switch. As near as I can tell, it's the dimmer switch that's wonky (the actual switch part of it mounted down low on the column and activated by the rod). I jiggled it some and the lights are working again. Maybe it needs a good cleaning.