Thread: Removal of emblem glue?

Question Removal of emblem glue?

The emblems on my hatch got nasty over winter so I took them off today. But, some of that foamy, glue type material that holds the emblems onto the hatch is still there. I tried scraping it off carefully with a razor blade but after one small scratch I quit. Is there a certain chemical/cleaner that you can wipe on there to remove teh glue and not affect the paint?

Only other time I've removed the badges from a hatch are when I was prepping it to paint, and all I had to do was sand it, not keep it nice lol...

Help's appreciated.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Removal of emblem glue?

I think these are pretty much just naptha or lighter fluid? Whatever you use, make sure it is safe on paint!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

^ +1

goo gone ftw. wD-40 removes the adhesive as well.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

+1 for goo gone. Worked well taking off a decal of mine.

Hybrid booster

I have just gotten as much of glue off as i can and rub car wax onto the remaining glue and rubbed while it's still pasty and most of the time the glue will come right off. sometimes it takes two or three times but at least i know it wont hurt the paint.

turbo addict

i had ZERO luck with goo gone. wd40 and a chisel did the trick, but i didn't care about the paint....

Hybrid booster

I had good luck with GooGone taking the flares off Dakota. But I had to work at it..

For $15 you can get the 3M adhesive removal disc.. They work great and you can use em to pull off almost any sticky junk without hurting the paint..

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

+2 for goo gone. Just keep it wet with the stuff for a while, and it comes right off. I cleaned up a bunch of old "turbo" badges for re-badging like that.

Where do you get those? Xylene cleaned them up pretty well for me. The glue is old and baked on, so it takes a while for solvent to cut it.

I think Goo Gone is a blend of Xylene and Naptha.

Hybrid booster

You can get the wheels at most paint jobbers. Learned about em when I was apprenticing at the LM dealer.

Thanks for the advice guys! I have some goo gone at my house to try out, but if that doesn't work, then that wheel could come in very handy!

boostaholic

Are you talking the back emblems on the trunk, I think I used goo gone also, then I buffed the rest out and put wax over it
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..