Thread: oil everywhere!!!

Garrett booster

oil everywhere!!!

I have an 89 dodge shadow 2.2 turbo

I was driving home from taking my kid to school and it is very slick outside, I slowly went into first, then into 2nd, when I went into second my foot slipped off the clutch and did a light jerk on the vehicle as the clutch slightly popped into place and the tires spun MAYBE 3 revolutions before I corrected. I noticed my oil light came on, I was like hmmm I will check it when i get home since it only flashed for 1/2 a second. I stopped at another light, started accelerating and it came on AGAIN, and stayed on until I was at a steady speed.

At this point I was really curious. I was about 1 1/2 miles from home and it came on constant and a bunch of white smoke out the back. I immediately put it into neutral and shut the engine off so I did not hurt the engine internals if it was starving from oil. I then noticed the ton of white smoke rolling off the back of the car as I was decellerating. I was able to get it into a BP parking lot, thinking of great a head gasket failure, but to my curious eyes when I popped the hood The rear of the engine and the driver side, side of the engine was coated in a huge amount of oil. probly 2 qts worth. I was boggled as to why.

I then put some oil into it and drived the other half mile home since I cant afford a tow and it was very short distance. as soon as I parked the car at my place the light came on. I shut it off and let it sit for 15 mins and checked the oil. I was barely showing anything on the dip stick.

Now I am curious, the engine is to hot right now to pull and poke at stuff but could you guys give me a good reference as to what could of gotten rid of the majority of my oil? I will probly get a chance to tear into her tomarrow and I would kind of like a bunch of opinions on what it could be so I dont accidently overlook things.

I was thinking 2 things:

1. turbo blown, but I have never seen a turbo get rid of that much oil so fast.

2. turbo line might of broken (brothers idea)

What do you think about these ideas and what other ideas would you have?

Also my brother said it should be a mitsu turbo if that matters.

Hybrid booster

Re: oil everywhere!!!

maybe you popped out the cam seal..............ive done that

deuce

+1 or the oil supply to the turbo popped.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Cam seal. Common.

Oil line could have come loose, but cam seal is much more common.

Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge? Some of the plastic lines that come with those are fragile.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Turbo feed line, oil pressure sending unit, cam plug,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

survey says....cam seal...thanks guys

Hybrid booster

awesome......its almost summer get it fixed

deuce

Glad it seems you made it home ok...yes, a spare cam seal is something everyone should travel with!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]