Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boost controller?

boost controller?

Would a manual boost controller be worth putting into a stock 85 SC?
    In two weekends I'm putting a boost gauge, and figured I could kill two birds with one stone. I'm no longer planning on intercooling it or anything, keeping it stock.

Thoughts?
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Mods coming soon!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: boost controller?

it will provide faster spoolup to full boost.... ie no rpm related boost that the computer does.

it wont prevent part throttle excess boost though. youll need a two stage boost controller for that.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    it will provide faster spoolup to full boost.... ie no rpm related boost that the computer does.

it wont prevent part throttle excess boost though. youll need a two stage boost controller for that.

Brian
    ...explaintion required for me to fully understand...

I get the first part, but not the second...

turbo addict

The computer limits the boost even lower when youre at part throttle. If you remove the computer control, you'll lose that limit. IMOP, no biggie. Brian rigged his up once with a two stage boost controller.......the first was a low boost part throttle setting and then the second was his high boost. I forgot what he used to trigger the second stage (throttle mounted microswitch maybe?). Probably not worth doing on a stock S/C. I would install the boost controller, set it for 10-12 PSI and run it.

ditto^ You will feel a definite difference in your car at 10-12 psi. Once you have that lil bit of boost you will want more and will think again about intercooling. Trust me I just did this to my baron and being 16 and hangin in a rich neighborhood with lotsa ricers its too much fun to pass up =)

You guys got me converted.
    It will be installed.
    Will it damage the motor running at 12PSI?

Garrett booster

as long as the fuel doesn't detonate. if you hear any metallic pinging sounds, then the fuel is detonating, and you need to lower your boost immediately. i personally wouldnt run 12 psi unintercooled without an air/fuel gauge to make sure youre safe. id set it to 10psi until you get the gauge imo

as long as you under the overboost cutout you should be good....i think overboost is 12psi
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Garrett booster

12 psi!? is it only 12 psi on older TDs? the boost cutout im familiarwith is 14.7

turbo addict

on older cars it's lower. you should be fine, but as was mentioned, don't cheap out on fuel.

if you need a pseudo throttle boost relationship, use a cheap welding or compressor regulator for a controller instead of a g-valve, but at that power level it shouldn't be an issue, as was also mentioned....

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

14.7psi is where cutout is. When my '85 GTS was mostly stock, I did an MBC, and ran 14-15psi, right below cutout and started to melt a piston. I installed a built motor w/1 piece and I/C shortly after that, lol.

Garrett booster

ok thats what i thought. thanks

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 89daytonacs View Post
    i personally wouldnt run 12 psi unintercooled without an air/fuel gauge to make sure youre safe. id set it to 10psi until you get the gauge imo

12 PSI is definately the upper limits w/o an IC. 10 PSI is pretty safe. I think some of the MP computers brought non-IC'd cars up to 10 or 11 PSI.

So...10PSI and I should be good to go. Awesome. I'll be putting that in in a couple weeks then!

Garrett booster

boost away, and enjoy

Garrett booster

for the record, i was running 12 psi on my unintercooled daytona fror awhile. i did have an A/F gauge though, and i kept my eyes on it and my ears open for any detonation. mitsu turbo, if it matters. go intercooled, youll love it

How much are A/F gauges? I know the boost gauge is about 40, not sure on the manual boost controller. I've got about two hundred I can drop into my car that weekend...

the best thing you can buy to check for knock is an OTC scanner, pathfinderII domestic (1993 i think) cartridge and the chrysler SCI connector cable. I got all my stuff for around 90$ on ebay.

that way you dont have to listen for knock.... you can see if there is knock well before your ears will hear it and you can see the individual cylinder timing, intake temps, O2 volts (ie dont need an AF gauge) and other things.

id look for an OTC 4000E or 4000 Enhanced. they will display 8 parameters at once.

its a worthwhile investment for TD's.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Ok. Is there a nice readout that tells everything? Or is just a couple LED lights and I would have to memorize flashing sequences, lol. I seriously know almost nothing about these cars, I guess Ray and Adam will have to show me in the right direction next weekend...

it has a monochrome (green and black) LCD screen. its pretty nice.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast