Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FM Enforcer turbo?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

FM Enforcer turbo?

So I am in the middle of piecing together the motor for my Omni and I have good T2 turbo that I was planning on using for this car. A local friend called me today and offered me a turbo that he decided not to use. As far as we can tell, it is an Enforcer 2 turbo from FM. The turbo came of a built minivan that we bought last year and parted out. The owner of the van told us the turbo was a 46 trim hybrid that he got from FM, however when we got the car apart it is not a hybrid. My friend took the turbo over to a local turbo shop to have it looked at and confirmed that it is not a hybrid, it is just a 46 trim T2 turbo and he said it had a stage 2 wheel. So after looking at FM's website, it appears that it is an Enforcer 2.

I knew in the future I would probably want to upgrade the turbo in the omni from the T2 i was going to use to something bigger, but my biggest concern is that I want instant boost with this car. Im talking 15 psi at or before 2800 rpms. My R/T with the 50 trim is a tad laggy for my taste on the streets, and since the omni will be my daily driver, I though instant boost would be a lot more fun even if it suffered on the top end. I thought a stock T2 turbo would have been great with my setup, but I am wondering how the Enforcer is going to react. Has anyone used one of these on their car? It still only has a .48 exhaust housing btw.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Re: FM Enforcer turbo?

It's going to have more lag than a stock T3 Garrett, sure. A stage 2 in a .48 housing doesn't seem like a great match to me, but I don't have much personally experience there. I have a S70 with a stage I in a .63 housing and it is fairly laggy. I think it would have done better with an S2 given that the bigger compressor needs more shaft torque than speed. I'm just not sure if the .48 can flow the volume that the S2 is intended for.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Stage II wheel in a .48 housing will act like stock. JKrieger ran one, said it spooled like a mofo.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Well, I am not sure if it is a stage 2 or not. We think it is, but then again we are not sure if the guy at the local turbo shops definition of a stage 2 wheel is the same as FM's. Apparently he simplified it and said it is a T2 turbo with a ported compressor housing to support the larger intake wheel. I am trying to see if I can dig up any actual numbers or measurments. I am just concerned with having too much lag for what I want to do with this car.

Check out my Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Stage II wheel in a .48 housing will act like stock. JKrieger ran one, said it spooled like a mofo.
    Thats what I like to hear.

Check out my Homepage

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    Well, I am not sure if it is a stage 2 or not. We think it is, but then again we are not sure if the guy at the local turbo shops definition of a stage 2 wheel is the same as FM's. Apparently he simplified it and said it is a T2 turbo with a ported compressor housing to support the larger intake wheel. I am trying to see if I can dig up any actual numbers or measurments. I am just concerned with having too much lag for what I want to do with this car.

you said it right there...larger compressor wheel......isnt the stock T2 turbo a T3 46 trim?? and the enforcer 2 is a T4 46 trim
    they use the stock T3 cover in the E2 turbo so everything "looks stock"....easiest way to tell is to look down the compressor inlet....does it have that edge inside like a stock T2 turbo would??

why it has the .48?? maybe the customer wanted it like that because the van is heavy and he needed to spool better down low to move all that weight.....

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    you said it right there...larger compressor wheel......isnt the stock T2 turbo a T3 46 trim?? and the enforcer 2 is a T4 46 trim
    they use the stock T3 cover in the E2 turbo so everything "looks stock"....easiest way to tell is to look down the compressor inlet....does it have that edge inside like a stock T2 turbo would??

why it has the .48?? maybe the customer wanted it like that because the van is heavy and he needed to spool better down low to move all that weight.....
    I think you are talking about the E3. This is right off their website.

Enforcer II Turbocharger: Designed for hi-performance, this turbo will move enough air to achieve horsepower levels up to 350+. The turbo housing promotes laminar airflow transition both from the compressor inlet hose and to the intercooler hose. Some of the features of the Enforcer II are:
    - .48 or .63 A/R turbine housing
    - Reduced back pressure w/larger stage 2 turbine wheel
    - Increased top end power with 46 trim compressor wheel

Enforcer III Turbocharger: This turbo is the highest flowing, stock fitted turbo available. Designed for Ultra high output race engines only! The blueprinted and balanced center section is the ultimate in turbo design. The features are:
    - .48 AR or .63 AR Mopar or Standard T3 turbine housings available
    - Power bands from 3500 to 7500 RPM
    - 400 H/P Plus
    - T04B Compressor cover with 3" inlet and 2 1/2" outlet
    - 50, 57 and 60 trim compressor wheels available

Yeah, the stock T2 turbo is technically a T3 with a .48 exhaust housing. I know a stock T2 obviously doesn't have a 46 trim compressor housing, aren't the a 42 trim or something like that? So if I am reading FM's site correctly, the S3 will use a T4 housing while the S2 uses a modified T3 housing. Am I correct here?

Oh, and you hit the nail right on the head with the guys intentions. He never planned for the van to be a drag car. He wanted a turbo that would give him a lot more low end power.

Check out my Homepage

yes the enforcer 2 is a T4 wheel, in a T3 housing

it just so happens that the T4 enforcer wheel, and the stock turbo dodge T3 wheel....are both 46 trim!

it just so happens that the T4 enforcer wheel, and the stock turbo dodge T3 wheel....are both 46 trim!
    Ahh, I see now. I didn't read carfeully enough. So its a T4 wheel (not housing ) in a machined T3 housing. Thanks for clearing that up.

So since I am trying to get a better feel for how to determine the character of a turbo, does the compressor side of the turbo play a huge part in the spool up time, or is it the exhaust side, or is it both? I always thought that the exhaust wheel/housing is whats going to effect spool up times while the compressor side plays a larger roll in the volume the turbo can flow.

Check out my Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    Ahh, I see now. I didn't read carfeully enough. So its a T4 wheel (not housing ) in a machined T3 housing. Thanks for clearing that up.

So since I am trying to get a better feel for how to determine the character of a turbo, does the compressor side of the turbo play a huge part in the spool up time, or is it the exhaust side, or is it both? I always thought that the exhaust wheel/housing is whats going to effect spool up times while the compressor side plays a larger roll in the volume the turbo can flow.
    yep you got it now

a bigger compressor weighs more so it willl take more time/effort to get it to spin and the bigger the trim the slower they spool obviously...

I think youll enjoy the turbo....but if you want to get the most out of it youll have to switch to a .63 housing one day

turbo addict

This is also known as the half-assed hybrid

So much misiformation in this thread it was painful to read.
    Stock T2 turbo is NOT a 46 trim. It's a 50 trim T3. There is no such thing as a 46 trim T3 wheel.
    The enforcer 2 turbo is a 46 trim TO4E wheel inside a turbonetics Super 60 T3 housing, it has the stage 2 turbine wheel in your choice of either a .48 or .63 housing but either way it's still a stage 2 wheel. Now, as someone else pointed out, the stage 2 in a .48 does no good for flow.
    The turbonetics compressor housing is not a stock T2 either, it's like a stock T2 only it's fully ported out for better flow. So, the E2 is still better than a T4 wheel stuffed into a stock T2 housing, but of course the best way is to have the real T4 housing on there.
    All of the T3 compressor housings for our applications are .42 A/R housings, but like I said the turbonetics is ported so it actually yields a higher effective ratio.
    The E3 turbo is a full hybrid with the T4 housing, does not use the stock type T3 compressor housing with the jut out. It also might have the stage 3 turbine but not positive on that one.

Posting pictures of this turbo would REALLY help! The shop said it wasn't a hybrid because it still had a T3 cover, but the wheel inside is T4.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

There are different E2's throughout the last 10 years. Some are 46 trim T04, some are 50 trim T04.

Several quick cars are running (or have ran) FM E2 turbo's in Chicagoland. The quickest currently is running 11.20's

But if you can fit the larger comp housing, the real hybrid will have a much cooler charge temp out of the turbo.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

ok my bad...I thought the stock TD wheel was 46 trim!!!

as for the E2 having a ported housing??? maybe some of them do.....my friends E2 housing doesnt look like its been ported....the outlet is practically the same size as a stock T3 housing....I have a T3 housing machinged for S60 wheel here, thats been ported to all hell, it puts the E2 housing to shame

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    So much misiformation in this thread it was painful to read.
    Stock T2 turbo is NOT a 46 trim. It's a 50 trim T3. There is no such thing as a 46 trim T3 wheel.
    The enforcer 2 turbo is a 46 trim TO4E wheel inside a turbonetics Super 60 T3 housing, it has the stage 2 turbine wheel in your choice of either a .48 or .63 housing but either way it's still a stage 2 wheel. Now, as someone else pointed out, the stage 2 in a .48 does no good for flow.
    The turbonetics compressor housing is not a stock T2 either, it's like a stock T2 only it's fully ported out for better flow. So, the E2 is still better than a T4 wheel stuffed into a stock T2 housing, but of course the best way is to have the real T4 housing on there.
    All of the T3 compressor housings for our applications are .42 A/R housings, but like I said the turbonetics is ported so it actually yields a higher effective ratio.
    The E3 turbo is a full hybrid with the T4 housing, does not use the stock type T3 compressor housing with the jut out. It also might have the stage 3 turbine but not positive on that one.

Posting pictures of this turbo would REALLY help! The shop said it wasn't a hybrid because it still had a T3 cover, but the wheel inside is T4.

Thats exactly why I started this thread. To ask for help because I dont know that much about turbo sizing. I will try to get some pictures.

Check out my Homepage

I really don't like how FM puts their vague marketing terms on their stuff and leave out a lot of the technical details. It's hard to make comparisons.

Hybrid booster

I've been a little confused by some of the stuff FM puts on their site too, Russ. when i got back into these cars a quite few years ago after quite a long break messing with some V8 stuff, i was using FM for almost all of my build. at the time i didn't know about this site or other vendors because at the time no one that i knew around here was playing with TMs. i ordered an Enforcer2 along with a lot of other stuff from FM to build my Daytona, thank the Lord i found other vendors because it took quite a while to get my stuff. i may be wrong but i'm pretty sure my E2 is .63 with 50 trim and it does have a bit of lag but i have it in an L body which is really light and it also seemed to help having a good cam, ported head, intake and exhaust manifolds. not 100% sure on the 46 or 50 trim but i do like it even though looking on their site there is so confusion of what i got.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    I really don't like how FM puts their vague marketing terms on their stuff and leave out a lot of the technical details. It's hard to make comparisons.
    That's why they do it, in an attempt to maintain an identity and not have their product offereing copied.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    That's why they do it, in an attempt to maintain an identity and not have their product offereing copied.
    I guess. I hate marketing BS. Tell me what I am really buying. Giving it a cool sounding name doesn't do anything for me, but I suppose it works on others. It's one of the reasons I don't like to buy from them.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    I guess. I hate marketing BS. Tell me what I am really buying. Giving it a cool sounding name doesn't do anything for me, but I suppose it works on others. It's one of the reasons I don't like to buy from them.
    I was talking to Chris one day a while back and trying to get ideas on what added parts could help me with more HP and he said something about the E2 and different the E2s. even called and talked to Mike Demoss and i don't think he even knew what he sent me? made me feel real confident??? got a trans from them a couple of years ago but nothing since then. a lot of "claimed HP" if you use these parts but all builds are a little different on a dyno.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast