Thread: knock sensor/ air charge plug

knock sensor/ air charge plug

I traced the wiring from the smec for the knock sensor and air charge sensor and they both run to one plug and they are the only wires in it. Is this normal? On my 87 the knock sensor is a one wire plug and the air charge is a 2 wire plug.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: knock sensor/ air charge plug

I know the LM's are different from what I've been told but the SMEC's have seperate wiring. The Knock sensor is part of the fuel injector wiring and one wire. The CAT sensor has its own 2 wire connector, with one running to the system ground and the other goes to pin 21, but it could be another pin but to lazy to go look it up.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I know the LM's are different from what I've been told but the SMEC's have seperate wiring. The Knock sensor is part of the fuel injector wiring and one wire. The CAT sensor has its own 2 wire connector, with one running to the system ground and the other goes to pin 21, but it could be another pin but to lazy to go look it up.
    The one connector that I thought was the CAT has one wire that traces back to the 60 way that is for the CAT but the other wire traces back as the detonation sensor. I guess I will have to check them out again.

In '88, the knock sensor switched to the same type of 2-pin GM WeatherPack connector as the CAT sensor, but it only used one of the pins. It sounds like someone did something weird to your harness. The CAT should have the signal wire and a black wire with a light blue stripe (signal ground).

I am 100% positive that this connector has the knock sensor wire and the air charge signal wire in this one 2 wire GM WeatherPack connector. From what I can tell the air charge should have the reference from a wire in the injector harness connector. Is there another cable that comes off the injector harness plug that attaches to the mystery plug I found and then has the plugs for the air charge and knock sensor??? I think it may be part of the injector side of the injector connector. Can someone go check on their car???

Bump! Anyone have and 89 turbo car they can look at for me???????????

Bump!

no one here has a TM newer than 88????????

The 89 TII uses a specific injector harness that has CAT and the Knock sensor signal wires in one connector. I believe the CAT temp sensor then uses the same ground as the injectors through the main plug on the injector harness. The 90 VNT injector harness uses a similar setup.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Quote Originally Posted by TopDollar69 View Post
    The 89 TII uses a specific injector harness that has CAT and the Knock sensor signal wires in one connector. I believe the CAT temp sensor then uses the same ground as the injectors through the main plug on the injector harness. The 90 VNT injector harness uses a similar setup.
    Thanks.

So I guess I need to find an 89+ t2 injector harness.

You need to find an 89 T2 injector harness, the 90 TIV is totally different. I'm not sure about the 88 one though, it might be the same.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568