Thread: Turbo to big... How to modify shift cable bracket?

Hybrid booster

Turbo to big... How to modify shift cable bracket?

Has Anyone had to modify their shift cable bracket to make room for a compressor housing? I remember someone did, I think his name was Tony but I am not sure.

I am running into this issue right now and it is the last thing in the way of having the turbo installed. I am not sure what I can do here but it looks like I will have to make the cable come in at a slight angle and drop it down a little bit. Any input on what you have done would be great and pictures would be a plus!

Thanks,
    Ryan

Hybrid booster

Re: Turbo to big... How to modify shift cable bracket?

Okay I looked it over a little bit just now to see what I could do. I am thinking I can turn this around...

And then weld up some more material and mount the cable closer to the trans.

How do I remove the selector though? It looked like screw in set pin at first but it is not, how can I remove this so I can turn it around?

turbo addict

Ryan,
    I had a similar problem with shift crossover cable on my TBI header and 568 in my 86 GLHT. Not so much that the turbo was too big, but with the turbo being relocated downward it couldn't have been located in a worse spot (as far as the shift cable location. My solution was to relocate the crossover cable connection on the bracket so it was pivoted downward as to clear the turbo housing. I think the bracket was cut and welded in about six or eight spots so it would clear and shift properly. I was fortunate, as I figured out this "issue" before the motor went in. Working out issues like this on a engine stand is a whole lot easier than in the car.
    Todd

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You have to pull up that clip that is in the red circle in your pic, and then pry the cable off the ball on the arm with a screwdriver. What turbo and manifold are you running that the comp housing is hitting that area? I have no troubles in any of my cars hybrid turbo or not. I have seen others with large turbos on stock or TU manifolds that are not in danger of hitting that bracket too.

You know that you can clock the comp and turbine housings right? That must be a big mofo, or a custom manifold to be hitting that.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Ryan,
    I had a similar problem with shift crossover cable on my TBI header and 568 in my 86 GLHT. Not so much that the turbo was too big, but with the turbo being relocated downward it couldn't have been located in a worse spot (as far as the shift cable location. My solution was to relocate the crossover cable connection on the bracket so it was pivoted downward as to clear the turbo housing. I think the bracket was cut and welded in about six or eight spots so it would clear and shift properly. I was fortunate, as I figured out this "issue" before the motor went in. Working out issues like this on a engine stand is a whole lot easier than in the car.
    Todd

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you?

I was thinking of trying to bend the bracket to angle the cable but I am pretty sure that would mess up the engagement points.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You have to pull up that clip that is in the red circle in your pic, and then pry the cable off the ball on the arm with a screwdriver. What turbo and manifold are you running that the comp housing is hitting that area? I have no troubles in any of my cars hybrid turbo or not. I have seen others with large turbos on stock or TU manifolds that are not in danger of hitting that bracket too.

You know that you can clock the comp and turbine housings right? That must be a big mofo, or a custom manifold to be hitting that.
    Sorry, my series of pictures and questions might be a little deceiving. I was referring on how to remove the shift selector that is circled in the first picture.

The turbo is a HE351.

OK, I could certainly see how the outlet on that turbo could get in the way of things.

Hybrid booster

OK, I could certainly see how the outlet on that turbo could get in the way of things.
    The outlet of the turbo works out perfect. It's the bottom of the compressor housing that hits the cable. This is on a T3 by the way, I will try and get a picture of it in a bit here.

Hybrid booster

That was worth a thousand words. Thanks for the pic.

Hybrid booster

That was worth a thousand words. Thanks for the pic.
    Figured the picture will help to visualize how it is going in there. In the picture you can see that I have the cable disconected and the bulk of it on the opposite side of the bracket to allow me to put the compressor cover on. It is still hitting the cable in the pic though.

I really need to figure out how to modify this bracket. I would have the bracket off by now but I am having a hell of a time pulling the cables off the pins because of my poly bushings.

Does anyone know if and how I can remove and flip the shift lever on the transmission?

I think that they might be held on there with roll pins.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I could have swore I've seen that turbo on an R/T and the guy had it mounted backwards compared to that, IOW, the compressor was on the passenger side. I haven't had any coffee yet today so I could be totally wrong.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I could have swore I've seen that turbo on an R/T and the guy had it mounted backwards compared to that, IOW, the compressor was on the passenger side. I haven't had any coffee yet today so I could be totally wrong.
    I think that was a hybrid car, I could be wrong though.