Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I run a TIII SBEC, stay stock or upgrade to a 90 van SBEC.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Should I run a TIII SBEC, stay stock or upgrade to a 90 van SBEC.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Ha! I wish it was so easy. I'll do it eventually, though. You still want to try a 2D T3 approximation for your SMEC?
    Yep, still waiting, Van comes out in May so git R done
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yep, still waiting, Van comes out in May so git R done
    May?! No problem. I made a spreadsheet to help me translate between the 2D and 3D tables. I did the WOT tables already, just need to do the P/T and idle tables.

Fuel is different. The stock T3 cal runs pretty lean, actually - ~13:1 A/F. So, you'll have to let me know if you want to run that lean to start with, or if you want to go a little safer...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

May?! No problem. I made a spreadsheet to help me translate between the 2D and 3D tables. I did the WOT tables already, just need to do the P/T and idle tables.

Fuel is different. The stock T3 cal runs pretty lean, actually - ~13:1 A/F. So, you'll have to let me know if you want to run that lean to start with, or if you want to go a little safer...
    Rob, is there an easy way to make a 3d map of the total advance for boost vs rpm from the t3 cal (something like the .pdf files on the dcal group)? I looked at it a little bit, but I couldn't figure out how the 2d and 3d tables were used together as ASM gives me a headache in about 5 mins.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Yes and no. I put them into excel and plotted them on a surface plot, but excel doesn't do true 3D scatter charts. The 3D tables use a transfer function for MAP as the Y input to the 3D tables, and it's non-linear. So, the 3D suface is not visually correct (becuase it's plotted by 'category' instead of X and Y value).

Chrysler did the non-linear x-fer function, I think, to get better resolution in the tables where emissions were important. The resolution is lower in boost, and higher in vac.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yes and no. I put them into excel and plotted them on a surface plot, but excel doesn't do true 3D scatter charts. The 3D tables use a transfer function for MAP as the Y input to the 3D tables, and it's non-linear. So, the 3D suface is not visually correct (becuase it's plotted by 'category' instead of X and Y value).

Chrysler did the non-linear x-fer function, I think, to get better resolution in the tables where emissions were important. The resolution is lower in boost, and higher in vac.
    Ok thanks, I'll stop hijacking this thread here.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

remember, this is simon, the king of 30psi!

plus its a 2.5L TIII as well.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    remember, this is simon, the king of 30psi!

plus its a 2.5L TIII as well.

Brian
    Hahhhaa, we covered that already,

Scottmon said his stock TIII cal worked awesome on his 2.5L TIII,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Larry J said his stock TIII cal bent rods because of too much timing at high boost, just for thought. That was with lots of meth slowing down the burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    Larry J said his stock TIII cal bent rods because of too much timing at high boost, just for thought. That was with lots of meth slowing down the burn.
    Is that 4sfed4? if so, I thought I when a stock cal when doing his 500whp run AND his engine had never been apart?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Is that 4sfed4? if so, I thought I when a stock cal when doing his 500whp run AND his engine had never been apart?
    hes back on TD.com and being a postwhore today and yesterday, OK well he made 2 posts that contridict each other, so take them as you will

The only breakage I had was around 350-360 whp and that was a blown headgasket (stock gasket BTW) which came along with a few bent rods as a result. This happened when I was running a very high timing chip (higher than stock timing), maybe 24-25 psi boost, along with a MAP diode to fool the computer.
    The stock cal would be way too aggresive for lots of boost witha larger turbo. If memory serves, the stock cal was somewhere around 23 degrees advance at 2 bar? I bent rods and a blew headgasket with the stock cal and T3/T4 turbo at 350-360ish whp if memory serves.

The aftermarket cal I used (FWD 3 bar/+40's) for the higher hp setup was around 12 degrees advance and this was tame enough to work great even on 93 octane with supplemental alky injection.

Also, keep in mind that I dynoed at 30-31 psi boost, but ran as much as 35 psi boost afterwards (but did not redyno). The car ran flawlessly at 35 psi boost. I could hardly believe it.

DOH!,

the aggressive one was a gary donovan cal and that was the one the broke the rods and HG. the stock one still had too much timing as well.

Frank and I have HUNDREDS of emails chatting with Larry on his quest to 500whp though i lost all mine when i redid my pc. oh well. I have a good memory.

his engine that made 500whp had ARP rod bolts and a quick valvejob and thats it. it wasnt the untouched stock one that came with the car. i think it was the block and the crank and stock pistons but the rods were replaced after the bending incident.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    the aggressive one was a gary donovan cal and that was the one the broke the rods and HG. the stock one still had too much timing as well.

Frank and I have HUNDREDS of emails chatting with Larry on his quest to 500whp though i lost all mine when i redid my pc. oh well. I have a good memory.

his engine that made 500whp had ARP rod bolts and a quick valvejob and thats it. it wasnt the untouched stock one that came with the car. i think it was the block and the crank and stock pistons but the rods were replaced after the bending incident.

Brian

Ok, thanks, I knew I had read he did it all on a stock engine. What cal did he use for the 500 whp?

turbo addict

basically after the issues he went to STG 3 FWD performance, from what he says, said 12 deg total timing, and ran that since

yup, cindys.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    hes back on TD.com and being a postwhore today and yesterday, OK well he made 2 posts that contridict each other, so take them as you will
    I will make sure to have him keep it to PMs if he is postwhoring too much. I am loving the info. He sent me a TON of emails with all kinds of info. Very helpful guy. Would have never looked at it as postwhoring.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bansheenut420 View Post
    I will make sure to have him keep it to PMs if he is postwhoring too much. I am loving the info. He sent me a TON of emails with all kinds of info. Very helpful guy. Would have never looked at it as postwhoring.

I was just being silly, hes just posting a lot for not being around very much

he had a daughter a few years back so that takes up a big chunk of time...

Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12