Thread: power steering pump?

TurboII

power steering pump?

I was checking out something on napaonline.com. The 88 lebaron power steering pump looks just like the 89 pump but yet they have different part numbers. I hate the fact my car has alot of understeer. Ive been trying to figure out if theirs a way to fix that by stiffening up the pump via a different make or model. Would the 89 shelby solve my problem?

Joey

turbo addict

Re: power steering pump?

A power steering pump is not going to make any difference regarding to understeering.

If you want to get rid of some of the understeering, get a rear sway bar, stiffer rear shocks, and stiff rear springs.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

The pump and even rack don't have any effect on whether the car will under or oversteer, that's a function of the suspension only.

As a rule, if you want to induce more of an oversteer condition, stiffen up the front. A fatter anti-roll bar is the easiest, but stiffer springs and dampers (shocks or struts) will do the same, but are not as easy and may effect driving manners all the time, where a bar only does it's thing when in a turn. The opposite is also true, if you want more understeer (though I can't imagine why) stiffen up the back end. The way I remember it is a stiff front end pushes out the back (oversteer), a stiff rear pushes the front.

Mike

PS It is late so hopefully I don't have it backwards!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

TurboII

I think i may of mistaking under steering for something else. Sorry bout that guys. what i meant to say was the hydro-pressure coming out the pump is to high, i can seriously steer the car with my thump. im looking for more restriction out the pump.

Lightbulb Re: power steering pump?

If you're using the all metal "ham can" pump there is something you can do. The large fitting on the pump that the pressure hose fits into has a special size orifice to regulate the volume of flow. Big cars use a larger orifice, L-bodies use the smallest I've seen. You can adjust the "feel" with these. They are drillable if you want to start small and work your way up.

I don't know about the ZF units with the plastic reservoir, they may be the same.

TurboII

I have the plastic unit.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    I have the plastic unit.
    You have the ZF unit. I know I have a TIII setup on the van and the steering isn't too easy, its just right.

Understeer is when you enter a corner and the front end plows thru the apex, tires squealing. Oversteer is the back end snapping out and coming around.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

TurboII

so is the 89 better then my 88

so is the 89 better then my 88
    Maybe, or your pump could be damaged?

TurboII

No its not damaged. its been like that since day 1 and 3 pumps

No its not damaged. its been like that since day 1 and 3 pumps
    Then it sounds like its the way its supposed to be and your just too strong,

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Then it sounds like its the way its supposed to be and your just too strong,
    hahahah now that you mention that, i have been hitting up the gym and eating my spinich.

But why is that when you look up the part for the 89 shelby it has a different part number then my 88.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

It's probably like the TIII intermediate shafts, they have a different part number too, but they are the same. The pump might have a revised orifice, seal material change or something else that doesn't effect the performance or appearance of the unit. Bottom line is I would imagine these two pumps being interchangeable.

hahahah now that you mention that, i have been hitting up the gym and eating my spinich.

But why is that when you look up the part for the 89 shelby it has a different part number then my 88.
    It could be the 89 pump has less pressure to "help" with road feel.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

get yourself an underdrive pulley!! you will like the feel of the steering wheel much better