Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 87 Shelby Lancer 34mpg

Mitsu booster

87 Shelby Lancer 34mpg

I just installed a 3” swing valve and 3” exhaust from Turbots Unleashed and my gas mileage went to 34mpg. The first tank after the install was 35mpg but after a few tanks it dropped to 34mpg. That is an increase of 5mpg just for installing the swing valve and exhaust. When I got the car it was stock so to date I have done +40 injectors, 255lph pump, TU fuel rail, and a new adjustable fuel regulator. None of these upgrades effected my fuel economy on average I was getting about 29mpg (when I keep it out of boost). It wasn’t until the new swing valve and exhaust that I saw a 5mpg increase (fuel drops to 32 when I drive it hard)

Does any one have any other suggestions that would help increase fuel mileage?

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Re: 87 Shelby Lancer 34mpg

For me, it's always just the struggle to keep from pushing the pedal down too far. 34 is GREAT!
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Mitsu booster

For me too, I do love the adrenalin rush when I hit boost. Although I drive 60 miles one way a day, so I keep my foot out as much as possible.

Yeah, I drive with the hammer down. It's just instinct. Reminds of a funny story (to me anyway):

One time I was driving a co-worker to lunch in the CSX. I usually try to drive more gently when others are in the car, especially trying to make smooth shifts. But anyway, the early P-body lower dash offers a good view of the driver's feet and he made a comment about how weirdly I used the gas pedal. I never really paid attention, but I apparently floor it after a shift and then would quickly lift some to cancel out the snappy turbo spoolup and then slowly lift the rest of the way before the shift. I don't really do it on purpose.

Just kind of funny because I learned to drive on a TD and used to have trouble driving normal cars. One time I drive my buddy's Mustang GT form the airport in the rain. That caused a few surprises.

Mitsu booster

That is very nice of you; my auto crossing friend is always trying to scare people in his glh with 25lps of boost. One time he was whipping thought traffic and blew by a corvette, well Napoleon in the vet was having note of that. He was not going to let an ugly Omni pass him. So he started chancing him thought traffic, that was until they hit a 90deg corner. When my friend looked in the rear view mirror all that he saw was brake lights then head light then brakes again as Napoleon spun several more time through an open field.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Other than removing weight from the car or doing your own custom cals I can't think of anything. I am only getting a few more MPGs than you in an omni on the freeway, so I would say that you are doing alright.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TL4TT View Post
    I just installed a 3” swing valve and 3” exhaust from Turbots Unleashed and my gas mileage went to 34mpg. The first tank after the install was 35mpg but after a few tanks it dropped to 34mpg. That is an increase of 5mpg just for installing the swing valve and exhaust. When I got the car it was stock so to date I have done +40 injectors, 255lph pump, TU fuel rail, and a new adjustable fuel regulator. None of these upgrades effected my fuel economy on average I was getting about 29mpg (when I keep it out of boost). It wasn’t until the new swing valve and exhaust that I saw a 5mpg increase (fuel drops to 32 when I drive it hard)

Does any one have any other suggestions that would help increase fuel mileage?
    Yeah 34 is great. I've been struggling all winter trying to get my 93 2.2 TBI Sundance (auto) to break the 26 mpg mark. Tried every thing. Question- what kind of tranny are you using? (please don't tell me it's an auto). Advantage you have is MPFI and with the new exhaust your efficiency has improved. Some easy things to try is to bump your timing up a couple degrees and tire pressure to 40 psi. Make sure your using a 195 deg. thermostat. I imagine in Arizona the ambient air temperature is helping also. Hotter is better for mileage. A lower viscosity oil might help. Can you give us some more details on your set-up? Thanks for the info and keep us posted.
    +1 on what Cordes said, weight is a major factor... G.P.

Mitsu booster

Yeah 34 is great. I've been struggling all winter trying to get my 93 2.2 TBI Sundance (auto) to break the 26 mpg mark. Tried every thing. Question- what kind of tranny are you using?.......

My trany is a stick, stock for a Shelby lancer the one with out the drain plug; I don’t remember the exact number. I know it does have a tall 5th speed, in my van had a different one with truck gears. The timing is a 14deg and tires are about 37psi and I am using a 195 thermostat. You are right about AZ I do notice a 1mpg drop in winter, however my oil is 20w40 Mobile 1. as for the rest, stage 2 computer 14psi max, new fuel filter, mobile 5w30 in trany, 255lph pump, champion spark plugs, BorgWarner plug wires, Checker auto cap and rotor, new fuel reg, new knock sensor, new disturber hall effect sensor, new fuel injectors +40, and new fuel lines. The rest is all original. You might try not jackrabbit starting and racing to the stop lights. I can get +2mpg out of any car just by driving a little different.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3nglenn View Post
    Yeah 34 is great. I've been struggling all winter trying to get my 93 2.2 TBI Sundance (auto) to break the 26 mpg mark. Tried every thing. Question- what kind of tranny are you using? (please don't tell me it's an auto). Advantage you have is MPFI and with the new exhaust your efficiency has improved. Some easy things to try is to bump your timing up a couple degrees and tire pressure to 40 psi. Make sure your using a 195 deg. thermostat. I imagine in Arizona the ambient air temperature is helping also. Hotter is better for mileage. A lower viscosity oil might help. Can you give us some more details on your set-up? Thanks for the info and keep us posted.
    +1 on what Cordes said, weight is a major factor... G.P.
    The TBI's just arent efficient. They don't even seem to get the same mpg as the old carb setups did.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

+1 to that. I was quite surprised when looking at EPA specs at just how crappy the TBI cars were. Not much different than a turbo car with half the HP.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Yep TBI isn't the way to go. I had a 2.5 TBI 5speed 93 Shadow ES that I bought new after high school. I only averaged about 25mpg with it. Gas was about $1.10 back then so it wasn't a big deal, $12-15 would fill the tank.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hybrid booster

i got 31 mpg with my shelby lancer going to cleveland from findlay (oh) which i thought was pretty good. its got the stock 2.25 inch exhaust with stock injectors and all. the only thing different is that its bored out .030 and i have a g head. i'm working on getting the exhaust opened up so maybe that'll help. however i did just order a cal set to 20lbs of boost. i'd imagine that'll drop it a bit. well the ensuing "testing to make sure it still boosts" will probably drop that a bit.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

I hate you guys,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I hate you guys,
    you can always apply the "Red Green" aerodynamic principles.

Step one: Remove windshield (May be called a bonnet up your way)

Step two: Remove rear doors.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post

Windshield is a windscreen or windshield, bonnet is the hood,

I think removing the hatch would be better,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

I was going to suggest going to a lighter oil to cut down on engine drag, but also saw you're in AZ, so that might pose an issue for you in the heat, but 10-30 might help ya, I noticed an mpg increase in my Neon with Royal Purple over Mobil 1.

That's really impressive mileage with a heavy Lancer...my Lebaron GTC-VNT gets about 33mpg on the highway, stock except for 2 1/2 exhaust. I had gotten 30 mpg once with an 86 Lancer ES T1, but that was probably with a bit of a tailwind and 60 mph steady speed, back in the mid-90s.

Mitsu booster

"I was going to suggest going to a lighter oil to cut down on engine drag, but also saw you're in AZ, so that might pose an issue for you in the heat, but 10-30 might help ya, I noticed an mpg increase in my Neon with Royal Purple over Mobil 1."......

Thx i will try the RP next oil change..

34 for an older turbo car is awesome. I laugh at Ford, Chevy, etc. that brag about 30 mpg as if this is ground breaking. Hearing Cordes numbers at Turbopalooza about made me cry. He gets like 35-37!

I have +20's, custom cal from FWDP, heavily ported head, stock Garrett TII turbo, 2.5" exhaust (with a Cat.) AND a 525 to boot!, and I still get 30 average on mostly highway driving. I say the 525 because my RPMs are very high on the highway and I also drive it fairly quick in the city. I hope to make it to Spring Fling in a few weeks and I bet I will get a little over 30 on the highway.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

My 89 Daytona easily pulls 35mpg...

+40's, 17psi, 3" SV and all, 555/520 hybrid...
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast