Thread: Retiming the oil pump and dist.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

Retiming the oil pump and dist.

My most recent engine build had me pull everything for a good cleaning. And in my haste I forgot to mark on the helical gears where they meshed for the oil pump to intermediate/timing shaft. I am assuming that the dist notches will look like =O= when viewed top down with the dist removed when the intermediate shaft is in time with the crank. Is this correct?

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Re: Retiming the oil pump and dist.

If I understand the question...

When you have cylinder 1 at TDC, the marks lined up on the cam sprocket and the notch lined up at 0 on your tranny housing, the dist notches should run parrellel to the front of the engine...ie, exactly the way your picture shows.

Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Darkapollo View Post
    My most recent engine build had me pull everything for a good cleaning. And in my haste I forgot to mark on the helical gears where they meshed for the oil pump to intermediate/timing shaft. I am assuming that the dist notches will look like =O= when viewed top down with the dist removed when the intermediate shaft is in time with the crank. Is this correct?
    Yes, that is correct, however, it could be 180* out if you go by the oil pump only. I always look at the flywheel/flexplate[tq conv] for the crank alignment first, then the cam gear, and finally the oil pump. The oil pump is the last thing I use to check whether it's on or not. If the timing was "jumped" or the teeth on the timing belt are bad, then that is the most important thing to keep an eye on...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

I havent attached the flywheel yet as the engine is still with out a crankshaft (will be going in today, that is why i asked now, i do not have access to a computer at my shop)
    Right now the timing gear pointer is at ~45* down to the crank (about where it will line up with the crank timing marks) and the slots are about parallel. so all should be just about right.
    Thanks for the quick replies

turbo addict

ah, well then there is the notch on the int shaft gear and if you do not see it, then the gear may be on backwards. I was under the impression this was in a car or not easily accessable. In that case, line up the int shaft with the crank gear and go throught he aformentioned steps. Also, check out the dodge garage or minimopar's site...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Heh, right now the engine is sitting on a block of wood (REMEMBER FOLKS, NEVER LET FRIENDS BORROW YOUR ENGINE STANDS FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME! lol)
    Yeah the little <| is pointing at about 45* to the crank where it will normally line up with the timing marks.

turbo addict

The gear on the intermediate shaft must be at 12 o clock in relationship to the block. And the oil pump needs to be parallel to the front of the block. Then just make sure the crank is at #1 TDC and drop your distributor in with the rotor pointed at #1 and you're golden.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

hope this helps: