Thread: Auto trans questions

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

Auto trans questions

I actually have a 2 part question. The first part, does anyone know if the A604/41TE was ever used on the 2.5L 4cyl engines? The second part is, what is the earliest engine control that can be used to transmit the data needed to the transaxle computer? Specifically, can an 89 TII SMEC do this? If I need to go up to SBEC or SBECII, then I will have to see what rewiring of the car would be required, but I would gain full sequential injection. What I am looking for is a way to slow down the engine at higher cruise speeds, like the 70 mph (that everyone ingnores) in WV. The other trick would be to use the transaxle computer for the autostick so it can be driven like a manual. Thanks,

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Auto trans questions

Quote Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
    I actually have a 2 part question. The first part, does anyone know if the A604/41TE was ever used on the 2.5L 4cyl engines? The second part is, what is the earliest engine control that can be used to transmit the data needed to the transaxle computer? Specifically, can an 89 TII SMEC do this? If I need to go up to SBEC or SBECII, then I will have to see what rewiring of the car would be required, but I would gain full sequential injection. What I am looking for is a way to slow down the engine at higher cruise speeds, like the 70 mph (that everyone ignores) in WV. The other trick would be to use the transaxle computer for the autostick so it can be driven like a manual. Thanks,
    The 4 speed auto was never installed in a US model, maybe out of country (Mexico), this is to the best of my knowledge (and I've looked). To my understanding, the bell housing matches up except for one mounting ear (which could be welded on). The controller is a separate computer entirely, so just grab the computer and harness when you get the trans. It should be able to operate independently, though may require some engine inputs. To be frank, while this is one of the things I plan on trying myself, I didn't plan on running the factory controls, so other than the mechanical side of things, I'm not 100%. Hopefully someone with more experience with the electrical will chime in...

Mike

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

They came in Mexico so you need a Mexican 4 speed auto case and swap over the guts.

As for controlling, they do use there own controller with some inputs from the engine of course. I was thinking of doing something like that but gave up. I am sure you could rig up the tranny computer or even use an aftermarket controller of some sort.

I guess you could also try to pirate a Mexican turbo car setup, so you could grab the wiring harness, and both computers.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Thanks for the info so far. zin, which case are you saying would just lack a mounting ear? turbovanman, Sometime I want to see some info on your TIII 2.5L, that is one of my wilder long term plans as I have an extra 2.5L turbo engine.

Thanks for the info so far. zin, which case are you saying would just lack a mounting ear? turbovanman, Sometime I want to see some info on your TIII 2.5L, that is one of my wilder long term plans as I have an extra 2.5L turbo engine.
    There is no bolt up bellhousing, the 4 speed only came on the V6's and WILL not bolt up to a 2.2/2.5.

As for my buildup, PM me anytime or check out this old thread of mine,

My 2.5 TIII buildup.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I haven't got the parts next to each other (4 speed and 3 speed cases), but from a conversation I had with TurboJerry @ one of the SoCal meets, I was told that the case for the 4 speed (either the V6 or the 2.4L) match up except for one bolt that I mentioned before. I expect that it will turn out to be the 2.4 that is most compatible. Before I found out about that, I had planned to make an adapter plate, hopefully I wont' have to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    I haven't got the parts next to each other (4 speed and 3 speed cases), but from a conversation I had with TurboJerry @ one of the SoCal meets, I was told that the case for the 4 speed (either the V6 or the 2.4L) match up except for one bolt that I mentioned before. I expect that it will turn out to be the 2.4 that is most compatible. Before I found out about that, I had planned to make an adapter plate, hopefully I wont' have to go that way.

The 2.4L will match up minus one bolt hole, the V6 isn't even close.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The 2.4L will match up minus one bolt hole, the V6 isn't even close.
    There we go! I'd imagine the choice version would be the turbo version.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    There we go! I'd imagine the choice version would be the turbo version.

Mike
    I guess that would be a PT cruiser but I wonder if they still only got the 3 speeds?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I guess that would be a PT cruiser but I wonder if they still only got the 3 speeds?
    No they have 4(41TE), or the better Getrag 5spd. AJ at A&A motorsports builds them, he built VB's for SMP and trans for DCR
    http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f272...ml#post4560095

Ok, interesting. Isn't the Getrag 5spd. a manual? Rather than that there are plenty of beefy units that already bolt to a 2.2-2.5 block with no mods.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

just fyi...

you can gear a 3 spd ALLLLLL the way down to 4spd-esque final drive if you build one with a 2.6 FD. Problem is your 0-30 mph is likely to suck badly, and 2nd gear will go 100 mph

I'm aware of that trick, it works real good if you have a big block V8 with lots of torque, Ford did it with the Mercury turnpike cruisers in the 50s. They had a 2.69:1 rear end and a 430ci V8. They still got over 20mpg.

I have found a sort of compromise, I am running the stock ring and pinion and installed the .91 transfer gears, it cut down the highway rpm's but mpg didn't change?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    No they have 4(41TE), or the better Getrag 5spd. AJ at A&A motorsports builds them, he built VB's for SMP and trans for DCR
    http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f272...ml#post4560095
    Wow that thread takes me back. I have one of AJ's built 41TE, still haven't put it to use yet. Unfortunately he is taking a break from building them right now, so he can finish his drag car. The forum with the most information on the 41TE is www.ptcrew.com, but I think you have to be a member to view anything there. Lots of info from AJ floating around over there.

The 41TE is a 41TE no matter what vehicle it came in, not any stronger or weaker no matter where you get one from. If you want a separate transmission controller for it, you will need one that came out of a 2002 or earlier vehicle. In 2003, most vehicles started using the NGC controllers, which have the engine and transmission controlls combined. Prior to that, they are separate.